TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Was the Last Beer You Drank?

robbalvey

Was the missus' B-Day so we drank a bunch this weekend. Here's a few of them.

IMAG5376.thumb.jpg.430cd1e30ede8bab7f87b7f3b3b70e48.jpg

OMFG THIS STUFF IS SO F*CKING GOOD. Like lemonade beer. 10/10 will drink again.

IMAG5345.thumb.jpg.9004332401b2e1a675bbcdfbbb1f50a6.jpg

Had this before. Its OK. Not a huge fan.

IMAG5360.thumb.jpg.01d6dd2e2495b2404456247ec244a0ab.jpg

Sorry for the dark photo. Very good cider.

IMAG5361.thumb.jpg.559ba1c5d7fbf84f61a9a101b7d96cd2.jpg

I'm a HUGE fan of all these hard sodas and root beers. This is "Passionfruit". Very light. Like Seltzer water with booze in it. A new favorite.

IMAG5370.thumb.jpg.449c20383a6eaccf68384db25eaee49c.jpg

Very very sweet. Missus said it tasted like cough medicine. I loved it.

Last night me and a friend sampled a bunch of different beers. We had some bland ones, we had a truly awful one from Estonia, but there were also some highlights. The clear winner of the evening was Hoptropolis Double IPA 9,0%, a collaboration beer from Amundsen Bryggeri/Against the Grain Brewery. This was a wonderful beer, rich in flavour and also very drinkable. I'm definitely buying this again!

That Hoptropolis looks awesome!!!!

Nøgne Ø Two Captains Double IPA 100 IBU 8,5% ABV. I've probably posted this one before, but if anyone were to ask me what is currently my favorite beer it has to be this one. It's simply perfection in a bottle!

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa now this threads been quiet.

I was down in Athens, GA again this past weekend for my sisters wedding and drank a ton of awesome stuff. In fact we visited both the Terrapin Brewery and then headed over to Creature Comforts on Saturday morning/afternoon. Both excellent establishments, featuring many many fine brews. Highly recommend stopping if you are nearby. Also had many beers had at various dinners/brunches/etc throughout the weekend. I should have taken more photos for you guys but here are a few.

Had this at a burger joint we stopped at in Athens. Wasn't sure I'd like it but it was scrumptious.

IMAG6062.thumb.jpg.df8dfacbb1d706ffbf25c6d67792fa9b.jpg

Terrapin had some amazing stuff. Luau Krunkles was amazing. I loved the Tart Cherry. We were obsessed with Chubby Bunny. Smores Milk Stout. WTF

IMAG6075.thumb.jpg.b5e5218669aed2806868c7e66b67f98c.jpg

IMAG6081.thumb.jpg.54a796151ea3e19d6bc665d7112a2dfa.jpg

Creature Comforts tap list. Things were a bit blurry by this point (we did both breweries in one afternoon) but I remember the Tropicalia and the Athena were favorites.

IMAG6098.thumb.jpg.e8692a3357db5a9c6da68a04cf72b263.jpg

IMAG6093.thumb.jpg.f9e5f49b8f6f4835aa9b9811230014c0.jpg

Sunday brunch at my sisters place and this was the stocked fridge. Yummers. The Serpent Bite was my favorite thing I had all weekend, thanks to my current obsession with sours.

IMAG5917.thumb.jpg.47a4ec01483ef679dc152708afef5caa.jpg

The groom had family in from Texas and was gifted these to the brunch party. Both excellent.

IMAG6183.thumb.jpg.daff351e8752e045dcebec9952813450.jpg

IMAG6263.thumb.jpg.0271325b0108ff77052d0f02f6fadebd.jpg

Sunday brunch at my sisters place and this was the stocked fridge. Yummers. The Serpent Bite was my favorite thing I had all weekend, thanks to my current obsession with sours.

I'm seeing a noticable increase in sour beers here as well. I'm not really into that type of beer much, but I have a friend who thinks it's the best thing ever.

Oh and speaking about fridges.... Thanks for reminding me that I need to do something about this sad sight!

20170420_215937.jpg.19c77e47ca95d142a88ba62ea6f9867e.jpg

Well, problem solved!

20170422_211301.jpg.adc16a99aecf8dc27f2cae89d148e78a.jpg

I also tried a new beer today, "Ink & Dagger Modern IPA" 6,5% from Amundsen Bryggeri. I haven't tried a lot from this brewery, but what I have tried so far has been very good and this was no exception. Fresh, fruity and very drinkable!

20170422_210234.thumb.jpg.fc1261d6ea449ec907c150c1ce3a1570.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a local restaurant yesterday, and tried this beer on tap, called... Perrin's "No Rules Vietnamese Porter" WOW! Easily one of the best three beers I've ever had in my life! It was like a work of art in my mouth! The smoothness, the richness of taste up front, as well as the satisfying finish! It was amazing! Couple that with the 15% ABV, and it not tasting like that at all, and it'd be easy to get blasted on these in a hurry! Definitely scoop some up if you're at all into dark craft beer, and you see some available!

d9e89c1698bde84f04bbd867b0da8120.jpg

Staying local with a limited edition 2X Unfiltered (insanely hoppy) IPA.

I never realized all the unfiltered "stuff" floating in it until the sun came out. Given that this is the first time in a week that we have seen the sun, no wonder it went unnoticed until now!

20170507_171718_resized.thumb.jpg.62c650b0b7765c9f4742e669d5480b83.jpg

This one is quite different from Southern Tier's "regular" 2XIPA.

While still 8.2% APV, this one has more of a floral-type of hop flavor than the regular.

I'll drink a regular 2XIPA tomorrow and take a pic to show the differences in color.

Love the name "Perler for Svin." I don't speak Norwegian, but I know what that means! So...how does it pair with bacon?

Apart from the usage of the word "svin" in the name, bacon was not really what I had in mind while drinking this beer...

Right now I'm enjoying a Hoppy Joe American Red Ale 4,7% from Lervig Aktiebryggeri (from Stavanger, Norway). I quite like this brewery, I've had a couple of beers from them and they've all been good.

20170509_202614.thumb.jpg.a8ad0ff1cbcc141f9d35ae8ed93663eb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out the list of beers at Cedar Point's BBQ & Brew, and it just boggles my mind,

making it HURT just a bit, to figure out what interests me to try, when Bert and I are there

during CoasterMania! weekend. Too too many to choose from, for me. Eep.

I am constantly amazed at how many beers this group in the thread tries, goes back to,

avoids, recommends....

I got nothing else, here. Just an observation.

^ Bill - Yes, there are TON of beers to sample during the event. You know that I like beer and I didn't even come close to trying out all the ones that I wanted to. You just get to the point where your belly tells you that you've had enough beer and that's it time to go walk it off and go do some coasters!

I would recommend if you see Southern Tier beer anywhere to give it a shout. This brewery is literally almost walking distance from our house!

Edit: Just checked the list on the website and ST is not listed as a featured brewery. Ya never know though...they might still have it as I am pretty sure that they had it last year and it wasn't listed.

Double edit: Having a Great Lakes Chillwave Double IPA. I like it better than the Flying Dog Double IPA that I had last night.

Still not as hoppy as the Southern Tier IPA's, but if they offer this at CP this year, this will likely be my go-to beer.

Capture.JPG.5eb528b051c66828883d6afd77138ea1.JPG

I checked out the list of beers at Cedar Point's BBQ & Brew, and it just boggles my mind,

making it HURT just a bit, to figure out what interests me to try, when Bert and I are there

during CoasterMania! weekend. Too too many to choose from, for me. Eep.

I am constantly amazed at how many beers this group in the thread tries, goes back to,

avoids, recommends....

I got nothing else, here. Just an observation.

There's way too much, even if you just get one sample size of things you're wanting to try. I like IPAs, porters, and imperials best, and even just trying those styles, and getting one sample size each, I went through maybe a quarter of the offerings within those styles, not to mention all the other styles there. If you're a "sample a little of many different things" like me, you can have a great time there.

Oh, and Shock Top Belgian White last night.

^ Yes, I was planning to probably use the "sample cup" more regularly, than getting regular sized beers.

I did that all the time, at the last two Beer Festivals during the PNE, and I enjoyed doing it that way.

But - sadly, there was only......ugh.... popcorn available to buy.

I mean....really???

Anyway, thanks for the advice on this Important Thing when we're there.

Bert, take note!

IMG_1284.JPG.9d58e0d22d0bd456a9dcdc77c77b8deb.JPG

We use the same cups that Cedar Point uses. And probably a few hundred other BeerFests, too, lol.

So one of my local breweries (7 Fjell) recently launched their first canned beers. I love this brewery and I was rather excited to try these, so today I picked them both up on the way home from work to give them a try.

First up was their "Håndverkspils" (Håndverker is Norwegian for craftsman). It was alright, but nothing special. But at the same time what you'd expect from a pilsner.

1933038773_7f1.thumb.jpg.c6d7285dbdce9e18dc09e559041d4fd4.jpg

The second one was Republikken Pale Ale, and this one I thought was pretty good. I don't think the name requires a translation, but it's basically a play on the fact that local patriotism is strong here in Bergen. While on paper we're a city in Norway and nothing else, we have a saying that "I'm not from Norway, I'm from Bergen" and hence the nickname "The Republic".

1594079592_7f2.thumb.jpg.d31ac69c8d47f70f703e536132edbb2d.jpg