TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Was the Last Beer You Drank?

robbalvey

I'm not necessarily limited to Wal-Mart. I'm just not a bar person, so I want something I can enjoy at home. There are some convenience stores around here that carry craft beers but I have no idea what to look for or if they'll even have it. We have a local brewery, Back Forty Beer, but I've only tried one of theirs and it's been a long time.

I had a shocktop lemon something or other at the concert I went to tonight. It was ok. Not my favorite, but not the worst beer I have had. But I didn't like the price I paid for it. Making your own beer for $2 a liter, really makes you think about how ridiculous the prices are.

• 2 weeks later...

I need "advice" cause apparently I drink bad beer... but I just started. Keep in mind I am a broke college kid with very little money, but so far my favorite beer is Pabst Blue Ribbon. Very generic and everything... but I got one cause everyone at the rock club I was at last night was drinking them... including the bands. I have also had some Indian Pale Ale which apparently is pretty good stuff, but I didn't like it... too strong. What should I try? I like "bitch" drinks quite a bit cause for the most part because I don't like beer(except for maybe Pabst so far) particularly as opposed to drinks like rum and pineapple juice or a margarita. Is there some beer anyone can recommend that I may like based on my taste of cheap beer?

^Not me, I have terrible taste in beer too. I was just coming in to post I last drank PBR...though it was only because apparently "Moon" sounds just like "Ribbon." Anyway, so far I can only stand Blue Moon and Miller/Miller Lite, and I guess PBR too.

I always thought I'd be more hardcore, but it turns out I MUST have my alcohol as well-hidden in my drinks as possible!

^^I'm recently legal myself.

I haven't acquired the taste for dark beers yet either. I like

Sam Adams Boston Lager

Blue Moon (Belgian White and Honey Wheat are pretty good)

Landshark (better than Corona Extra, though that's good too, imo)

Dos Equis (when ya wanna be interestin')

These are all pretty light beers.

^^^Let's see if I can help you a bit. The cheapest, dirtiest crap I've come across is a running tab of crummy beer, including Natural Light, Milwaukee's Best (Beast), Keystone Light, and PBR. I'd try to avoid those as best you can. The next step up would be your generics - Bud/Bud Light, Miller Lite/MGD, yada yada yada. I personally don't mind them myself, but I know a lot of people don't like the watery taste to them. If you're looking for something that tastes good and is still fairly cheap, I'd go for Yuengling/Yuengling Light. Its around the Bud Light price range, but upteenth times better in terms of quality and taste. The only problem is that it's only available in certain areas (mostly the East Coast - they just expanded here into Ohio in October of last year), so depending on where you are, it might be difficult to find.

If you want to go a little more expensive, try Leinenkugel or Sam Adams. Both brands have a number of different styles, but the seasonals by them (Sam Adams' Summer Ale and Leiney's Summer Shandy) are probably some of the best beers around. The standards are good as well. The thing about the craft brewers is that there are so many styles and types of brews that you might have to experiment a little to find the beer you like best. But that's what they make the sample boxes for.

Hopefully that's some good info to help you get started.

^ This. Sam Adams, Leinenkugel's and even any of the New Belgium stuff (Fat Tire is an excellent "cut your teeth" beer), is fairly cheap, and much better than any of the Bud, Miller, Coors products.

Everyone was drinking PBR at that bar because for some reason hipsters think it's cool. That beer sucks, don't let them fool you.

Shock Top. Generic, but not bad at all. I still like PBR though because I am young and broke... yes I realize it sucks, but I can drink like three big blues(the big one) and because I am a lightweight I get a nice buzz going. ^^^ Also a lot of ska kids(I am one) drinks it because it is the beer of choice for a band called Big D and the Kids Table, who are also super broke.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^ Same. They really amped up Shiner to be awesome when it came to IL, but I haven't found it very good.

Had a New Glarus Apple Ale the other day from 2011.

Last weekend, Tighthead Maibock, Tighthead Oktoberfest. And a Sam Adam's Oktoberfest to round out the evening.

• 5 weeks later...