TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What Was the Last Beer You Drank?

robbalvey

Recently I got to enjoy 2 fairly new IPAs thanks to Heath picking them up for me.

beer00.jpg.94b77ae44a17d2f5b305b1e1424ea235.jpg

First up was Troegs newest release, the Perpetual IPA, an Imperial Pale Ale. While it's no Nugget Nectar, it had great flavor and covered the alcohol nicely, though still stuck in your head, leaving me only wanting to drink 1 bomber. I don't know which one I'm more excited for in Hershey, Skyrush or Troegs new brewery right down the street from Hersheypark!

beer01.jpg.cb559ce95783cbb4f6ead84d854de895.jpg

Next up, Japanese Green Tea IPA. After being in Japan and trying several of Baird Beers, I was really excited when I heard Stone was doing a collaboration beer with them and Ishii, another Japanese microbrewery. This one had the citrus fruity West Coast hoppiness you expect from Stone mixed with Sorachi Ace dryness and some green tea notes, but holy ABV, 9.2%!

beer02.jpg.4a8e232f57850bfcf81dc5be0a1aa804.jpg

Best part of the deal, not only am I drinking good beer, but I'm helping the people of Japan by doing it. Time to go hunt down a case!

Tried some test-run Sam Adams beers earlier (oak aged old ale, maple pecan porter). Right now I'm drinking a 21st Amendment Hop Crisis DIPA. Just completed an order for a bottle of Kern River Double Citra (Yeah baby!) as wells as their Just Outstanding DIPA, Pliny, and some Hair of the Dog beers. Next up this weekend will be a little tasting, probably a 2-year vert of Black Butte (22,23) and perhaps a Dark Lord and stuff. And Heady Topper cans are just around the corner. It's getting crazy!

^ NICE! Kern Citra is one of my favorite IIPAs, as is Pliny! Would love to have both right about now. BUT IIRC didn't Black Butte 22 have some problem? 23 was delish too

I'm currently drinking:

You'll have to hook some of us poor souls with some Heady Topper

Yeah, I forgot about the 22. I guess he just meant black butte XXI. Don't worry, I'm certainly going to hook people up with Heady topper. I plan on getting a case the weekend it's released, and probably half of it will be traded. I'm sure I'll get more down the road as well. I actually haven't had it yet myself, so I'm wicked excited too. I've been on a crazy IPA kick, Soon all I'll need is PtY, Hopslam, and Dreadnaught and I can die a happy hophead.

Send me a BM if you are interested in trading for some heady Topper in the next few months.

It did end up being the Black Butte XXI. I was expecting it to be the better of the two, but I actually preferred the XXIII. The orange added a nice dimension (though not too obvious) and it had a much more full/rounded flavor. The XI was probably awesome when released, but the coffee completely faded and it had a old/stale light coffee finish and just a bit of an 'old' taste. Still was pretty darned good.

I'm getting pretty darned excited for trades right now, got a bunch of great stuff lineup, mainly DIPAs. I might have to throw a big DIPA tasting, not sure I can drink it all myself before it's no longer fresh.

Canned Heady Topper. Holy jumping Jesus on crutches. The only DIPA that even COMPETES with Heady Topper is Hill Farmstead DIPAs (Galaxy and Abner). Sorry Pliny, but even you, at the 3-week peak, can't compete. Unbelievable beer. The hops just don't ever fade. I mean, ever. This isn't a "soft, light citrus hops that fade, but is clean and drinkable" this is a "soft, but intense citrus hops with perfect depth and balance that last forever and ever, that's also as clean and drinkable as it gets.". I'm practically speechless. I should have expected this from the Alchemist, but it just continues to blow my mind. For an 8% beer, it drinks easier than most 4% session beers. Yeah, it's unfair and quite frankly, dangerous!

That it's, I'm moving to VT.

heh I remember when the bottles came out last year, I got one and opened it about 2 weeks after bottling, and it was wonderful - but we opened another bottle up about 2 weeks later, and it had changed significantly. First time was amazing, second time was just pretty good IMO

Don't remember what the last beer I had was but it was dark and delicious and came from a tap in a Belgium Beer Bar in Greenville, SC. Before that it was about 3 Becks Octoberfest preceded by a 12 pack sampler of Magic Hat, and two other six packs that I also don't remember. Good night.