TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Original Flatrides using Autodesk Inventor.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^There are LIMs on both sides, so one set doesn't have to do all the work.

And now, it's time for...

NEW SEATS!

Yes, I've got a brand-new seat design that's more comfortable then ever!

Contoured seating. While the old design was relatively flat, this design is contoured to fit the human body more comfortably. The upper sides wrap around the rider's back.

Two-piece seatback. The new seatbacks are made of two pieces instead of one - that makes the design more modular, less expensive (because of the gap in the middle), and easier to service. If one part of the seatback has been damaged, it can be replaced without having to replace the other piece.

Boomerang lap restraint. Once again, it's countoured to the human body - all in the name of comfort.

More restraint adjustability. The old restraints adjusted at the lap. Now, the new restraints also adjust at the shoulders, allowing riders of smaller height to ride.

Everything from the old seat has been redesigned except for the frame - the frame only needed to be slightly modified.

The presentation will be informal.

newseat_1.jpg.67d2ccf24f9379aebfef792741caab6f.jpg

This is the seat without the restraint attached. You can see how it's contoured.

newseat_2.jpg.3785aee3dd0fc2e9265306f47955d3ba.jpg

Now, with the restraint attached! You can clearly see how the lap restraint resembles a boomerang.

newseat_3.jpg.da67094b0e896e0a2a71ba8f19af1dfa.jpg

Now, with the restraint opened.

newseat_4.jpg.62c90bb5591e86e972c7a2c1dd49ecfc.jpg

Here's how to get comfortable:

1. Lower the restraint over your head.

2. Press down on the lap restraint until it's comfortable on your lap.

3. Press down the shoulder pads until they're comfortable on your shoulders.

You still need guide wheels to guide the car along the track, there cannot be any contact between the LIM stators and their receptive blocks on the vehicle. If you wish, you can send me the .ipt and .iam files and I could try to whip up a set of guide wheels for you. I will warn you though, I have the free student edition of Inventor, making files I make for you unsuitable for professional purposes. (I don't think that should be a problem, but I figured I should let you know.)

You still need guide wheels to guide the car along the track, there cannot be any contact between the LIM stators and their receptive blocks on the vehicle. If you wish, you can send me the .ipt and .iam files and I could try to whip up a set of guide wheels for you. I will warn you though, I have the free student edition of Inventor, making files I make for you unsuitable for professional purposes. (I don't think that should be a problem, but I figured I should let you know.)

I guess I'm not in the know about how LIM systems work...for constraint purposes, they will remain untouched.

However, I did quickly add four large guide wheels, one on each "flat" side of the tower. Check it out...

flyingfalcon_newwheels.jpg.3a22501c57dd8e7c79ee01f97e814bbe.jpg

Better, but that system would cause too much wear on the wheels and guide rails, (which are more like slots than rails). What I would recommend is a set of cylindrical rails where you have the slots, and wheels contoured to the rail, like a roller coaster wheel.

Railandwheel.jpg.ea6c7d4d1aecbe12a08ed79c468a2ca6.jpg

A very crude 5 minute example, but it gets the point across.

Third time's the charm I guess. This time I actually took the time to make it right instead of just a three-minute job like the second time.

flyingfalcon_newwheels2.jpg.72da1af2894d4f53a81d168bafb4d638.jpg

Third time's the charm?

Much better! Keep up the good work. What you have is very impressive, and its making me want to go attempt to design a roller coaster train in Inventor. I just have to ask though, how exactly did you make your seats? I'm guessing you lofted four or five sketches together to make the contour of the seats. (Its the actual seat part I'm wondering about, not the backs.)

^You can't. You need software more along the lines of Google SketchUp or 3DSMax for those types of modeling. Inventor is used in the industry for digital prototyping. While I would LOVE(!!!) to be able to export the .ipt files to .3DS format for use in games, the process to do so is, uhm, interesting in the least. And quite a bitch to do.

I just have to ask though, how exactly did you make your seats? I'm guessing you lofted four or five sketches together to make the contour of the seats. (Its the actual seat part I'm wondering about, not the backs.)

It was a five-sketch loft, then I made a new sketch on the top face for the extended seatback. Add some fillets and ta-da!

Have you've ever thought of making these usable for RCT3?

Like VFB said before, going from IPT to 3DS is a very long and tedious process, and I have no knowledge of 3DSMax yet. Maybe soon, but for now - one miracle at a time.

There's a new ride in the works! It's a quickie, and you'll instantly know what kind of ride it is.

It'll be my last flat ride before I jump into the design of roller coaster trains!

loopingplane_seatset.jpg.6cb6790f2855786c6b10f07499b4a176.jpg

Two sets of seats, back to back.

loopingplane_arm.jpg.bd71d81ff73a7c8e56ab2786c3700e1c.jpg

And now attach an arm with a counterweight. This should look very familiar if you go to carnivals (or ghetto fairs) often.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Your first concept is very similar to the KMG Experience (your model has better capacity and is free spinning, but it's close) and it's an amazing ride so I'm sure if yours were to make it somehow then you have a winner on your hands.

I'm excited to see your take on the second concept your teasing about as I can imagine a combination of the two and it seems like another great concept. It seems kinda Huss Jump2, kinda not.

That first design concept seems very similar to the Huss troika,I'm no expert on ride patents or anything like that but should you submit that prototype to a manufacturer there's the slight possibility that Huss may claim that it's a copy of their product/patented design (if such a patent exists) which would make production by another manufacturer(Chance-Morgan for instance) difficult.

That is a pretty good design/prototype however & I admire your creative drive for innovation & would like to wish you the best of luck in seeing it come to fruition...for without innovative minds like yours there'd be no new & exciting flats or coasters being produced so keep up the hard work AJ.