TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Original Flatrides using Autodesk Inventor.

My dream is to become a staple designer in the amusement park industry. Roller coasters, water rides, waterslides, flat rides...everything!

RCT is limited. NoLimits is...limited. I wanted to experiment with software that has no limits. Enter Autodesk Inventor. Using Inventor, I have created a cool flat ride called Spin Surge.

Take a Fabbri Hard Rock...

Mix in a Tivoli Re-Mix...

...and you've got my original ride, Spin Surge! It combines a clockwise-spinning central body and arms, counter-clockwise spinning under-arms (like a scrambler), free-flipping seat assemblies, and raising and lowering central arms.

More pictures, including pictures of the ride in all positions, are coming soon.

For now...

spinsurge.jpg.a9a36008b396ccf5d70d9b0d3d697fd9.jpg

Do you have the stomach to handle Spin Surge?

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More pictures!

If you have any questions, please ask them.

If you have any suggestions, please suggest.

If you want to see the ride from a different angle, please ask.

If you want to see me produce a particular kind of ride, go ahead and ask! I may decide to model one.

spinsurge_seating.jpg.fd9b081e3824108886bb1caaad91eaa2.jpg

This is the seat assembly. The restraint lap portion is height adjustable. That way, it can accomodate guests of a larger size and still reach to their lap.

spinsurge_fliparms.jpg.b059b21cd1fc061ff30c90d49878f1ff.jpg

Close-up of one of the arms with the seats flipping freely.

spinsurge_raised.jpg.ec02cbbe628527bb14a330f468e0e293.jpg

Isometric view with the arms in the seventy-degree position. The seats aren't flipping right now, though.

spinsurge_right.jpg.2f9ccb6609b6aaaf0293be37f96123e5.jpg

Side view. You can see that the seats have been raised. That allows for seat flipping in the horizontal position.

spinsurge_top.jpg.8552a172599dd8cfc570b62954ea9f9d.jpg

View from a top-down perspective. The diameter of the ride's footprint is 58 feet.

spinsurge.jpg.07df8a1677203552900f1036b9a540e9.jpg

Isometric view of the entire ride. The ride is in the horizontal position. The seats lower about three feet when it's time for guests to unload and load.

I just wanted to say that I think the restraint system is brilliant...great idea that I hope is implemented on future ride in the amusement industry!

Question though: are the seats completely free-flipping, or is there a way to control the spinning? I ask this because I'm wondering how much of an effect there would be on the ride if only one row of seats was filled. Would the riders' extra weight cause them to constantly face down throughout the duration of the cycle? I know this often is a problem with the Intamin Zacspins, which is why most of those coasters are only run when the rows are closely balanced.

For a solution to that problem (if it would be a problem, I mean), I would love to see you find a way to incorporate some kind of automatic, counter-balance system into the design.

Can't wait to see more!

^See I think that uncontrolled spinning is what will make this ride awesome. I don't know if you have ridden a Mondial Top Scan before, but that is what makes the ride so awesome. Plus more moving parts/engines mean more possibility of an error. All in all, I think this ride concept looks very awesome. I have some manufacturers contact information, I wouldn't be opposed to give it to you once you have a complete product and try to pitch it. Looks like a Chance creation, or even Mondial.

I just wanted to say that I think the restraint system is brilliant...great idea that I hope is implemented on future ride in the amusement industry!

Question though: are the seats completely free-flipping, or is there a way to control the spinning? I ask this because I'm wondering how much of an effect there would be on the ride if only one row of seats was filled. Would the riders' extra weight cause them to constantly face down throughout the duration of the cycle? I know this often is a problem with the Intamin Zacspins, which is why most of those coasters are only run when the rows are closely balanced.

For a solution to that problem (if it would be a problem, I mean), I would love to see you find a way to incorporate some kind of automatic, counter-balance system into the design.

Can't wait to see more!

Why thank you! I hope to be able to add height adjustability to the shoulder pads also, similar to S&S Power's system.

The Zacspin coasters only flip on the forward-backward axis. That's why the cars need to be balanced. The curvature of the Zacspin track only tosses riders forward or backward.

For rides like this, such as a Topscan, weight is tossed laterally as well as vertically. It's essentially a similar motion of a Moser Rides Flipping Action Arm, or a Moser Rides Twin Flip.

As for a solution, while it would be difficult to incorporate a counter-balance system, I've got something else in mind. In the event of a potentially threatening weight balance, the operator would be able to set the ride in "face-up" mode, where the cars would automatically revert to the face-up, forward-sitting position for the rest of the ride.

All in all, I think this ride concept looks very awesome. I have some manufacturers contact information, I wouldn't be opposed to give it to you once you have a complete product and try to pitch it. Looks like a Chance creation, or even Mondial.

It's going to take me a long while to completely finish this model. While I have the rough model finished, I do not have any sort of interior components modeled, nor do I know completely how they work. I'm going to major in mechanical engineering, so hopefully I'll learn how the rides really work.

That would be really cool if I could get my ride to be produced in real-life though. I may get back to you...

If you'd be able to make this a working RCT3 CFR that'd be awesome

Once I truly master Inventor, 3DS Max is my next program to learn how to use. I need to start learning how to make CTRs and CFRs.

And now...

A teaser for the next ride! I am starting it from scratch (minus the seats and restraints - they're modular and therefore already finished). I'll give everyone "construction updates" as I go along this time.

teaser1.jpg.c4dfca20decfb026e46d28592be2ae53.jpg

Insanity The Ride + Huss Condor = ?

Your first concept is very similar to the KMG Experience (your model has better capacity and is free spinning, but it's close) and it's an amazing ride so I'm sure if yours were to make it somehow then you have a winner on your hands.

I'm excited to see your take on the second concept your teasing about as I can imagine a combination of the two and it seems like another great concept. It seems kinda Huss Jump2, kinda not.

Here are some images of the new ride! You won't be able to see what the ride really looks like until it's fully completed...

flyingfalcon_prongsSPIN.jpg.491c2f9367d947cf748d7e7781c2a24d.jpg

When the prongs get spinning, centripetal force brings the arms up 45 degrees, with the seats facing 45 degrees downward. This part of the ride is what relates to Insanity The Ride.

flyingfalcon_prongs.jpg.4a68b670e658c15ce381df8ababe8d8d.jpg

Five arms + ten pistons + one central unit.

flyingfalcon_bucklecloseup.jpg.c6110f99edb0f2b800336de33582fc46.jpg

But...here's something new - a restraint belt. It's an essential safety feature. The belt is permanently attached to the restraint, and buckles to the seat.

flyingfalcon_prong.jpg.f91fad20b78726e434076ca8ebae372c.jpg

Here's an arm. The seats are modular, so the seat design is the same as on the Spin Surge. The arm is made from a seat frame extended higher and pitched at a 45 degree angle.

Aj You got a really good eye for rides! and a really sweet model :O IMO Freespinnig rides always seem to be the most fun

Although it actually looks like a offspring of a power surge and remix.. Dervish didn,t free spin and was able to roll on the ground. It was an intersting ride, but haveing to ride with gp made it.... sort of painfull They are all really good rides!

^But you misspelled "Experience" so -2 lol. And I love Flat rides as much as I do coasters, which is why I totally dig this thread.

My only problem with this new one, is it seems like the ride will be almost too large. The amount of room you will need off of the tower itself to give proper clearance for the spinning seems like it will be quite large and the whole footprint would take up a lot of room. Do you have any dimensions on the whole ride yet, or is it all still being worked on?

Update...

I'll have measurements when the ride is completely finished.

flyingfalcon_armsprongstop.jpg.acaa0ccde0e49438a826db090cc96daa.jpg

The same assembly, but from a top-down perspective.

flyingfalcon_armsprongs.jpg.3dbf38b17077a05617b9fda8ed41f68e.jpg

This is the full arm assembly, minus decorative lighting. Total seating capacity is 50 passengers. The seats are currently in the most outward position.

flyingfalcon_largearmcloseup.jpg.504c71ceec8df7031476355532402b88.jpg

A close-up. The arm assembly uses a combination of linear induction motors (LIMs) and magnetic brakes to raise and lower the assembly. LIMs bring it up and magnetic brakes give it a controlled freefall downward.

flyingfalcon_largearms.jpg.f7d8d3f5f52e371f4321c442ea863a1d.jpg

This is the large arm assembly.

This thing is huge. What's the approx. diameter of the central tower?

The central tower's diameter is 8-2/3 feet. However, it's not cylindrical. It's a braced square-girder tower, similar in construction to a Starflyer's tower or a section of four-rail Intamin track.

• 2 weeks later...

This will probably be the second-to-last update for this particular ride - it's coming together...FINALLY!

No innuendos please...keep it clean.

flyingfalcon_tower.jpg.a13790df1190e3bc791a57511c07b7bf.jpg

Here's the tower. The steel portion is 85 feet tall. The base is 8 feet, 6 inches tall for a total of 93 feet, 6 inches in height. Combination LIM runners and magnetic brakes line the edges of the tower. The girder tower is 8 2/3 feet across the diagonals wide, and the base is 17 1/3 feet in diameter.

flyingfalcon_top.jpg.f4ace71ad09f0cec3e57e79998badeac.jpg

This is the top cap of the tower, complete with colored decorations that also light up at night, to be seen from everywhere in a park as well as for low-flying airplanes.

flyingfalcon_towerplus.jpg.7c5f17d7d182bf357b21a841533ed956.jpg

The completed tower. There's only one thing left to do! Stay tuned!

After a month of work, let me present the Flying Falcon.

The Flying Falcon is a twenty-first century interpretation of the legendary Huss Condor. Fifty riders, arranged in five circles of ten, are strapped into comfortable seats with restraints that can adjust to fit riders that are "more fat" the average person. Once all the riders are safe and secure, the three-and-a-half-minute ride begins.

To start, each set of prongs starts to rotate counterclockwise. The prongs spin fast enough for centripetal force to raise the arms so that riders are facing at a 45-degree angle to the ground. The prongs are raised high enough that any rider can extend their legs and not touch the ground.

After the prongs get spinning, the entire arm structure starts to rotate clockwise. Once the entire arm structure gets up to speed, the entire structure starts to rise up to the top of the ride's tower using linear induction motors. Once the structure is at the top, it remains there for most of the ride - with the arms rotating clockwise and the prongs rotating counterclockwise.

As the ride nears its end, the arm structure and the sets of prongs stop spinning. Then, the entire ride is brought to the ground with a controlled free-fall - slow enough to easily stop but fast enough to startle riders and provide airtime.

Specs:

Approx. [D] of Prongs in Low Position: 16ft

Approx. [D] of Arms in Low Position: 59ft

Approx. [D] of Total Footprint: 68ft

Approx. [A] of Total Footprint: 14500sqft

Approx. [H] without top decoration: 96ft

Approx. [H] with Top decoration: 103ft

Passengers per prong: 2

Prongs per set: 5

Number of sets: 5

Total passengers per cycle: 50

Approx. passengers per hour: 850

COMING SOON: A new ride is on its way - but before that, I plan to debut a brand new seat/restraint design that is more open-air, less expensive, more modular, and more adjustable than the original.

flyingfalcon_completeLOW.jpg.cffd7a5586e93db98fc4d1cf4f566df4.jpg

The Flying Falcon in its boarding position.

flyingfalcon_completeHIGH.jpg.191ffbe340eeeb3e1794bdbd2b31d9f8.jpg

The Flying Falcon in its raised position.

flyingfalcon_attachment.jpg.5f820c09a5167e7769f1995ae8816b46.jpg

This is a close-up of how the arm structure runs along the tower. Notice how there are LIMs on both structures - so that one structure's motor doesn't have to do all the work.

Wow...this looks absolutely amazing. The whole contraption just looks so realistic, it's hard to remember that this ride doesn't actually exist.

Great work. Can't wait to see the new restraint system!