TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 348 - Iron Gwazi POV!

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap you nerds are a tough crowd.  It looks like a coaster that will make me hoot and holler the entire time I'm on it while simultaneously trying to throw my fat ass as far from the train as pos

It means that you can look forward to a fun-filled day riding Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and Sheikra and while you're in line for one of those you might be able to watch an Iron Gwazi POV on your phon

I actually agree with many of you talking about how the RMC's are all very similar.  And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with building a ton of very similar kick ass rides when most people who ride

Posted Images

Today I had the opportunity to go down to BGT with family and ride some rides as well as get some pictures of Cheetah Hunt. The park was actually quite crowded, with parking in the Adventure Island lot (with trams picking up and dropping off over there). Since I was not up to lugging around the DSLR, I did not get any close-up shots. Sorry.

Gwazi operations were poor and there was a bit of jackhammering, but that is quite normal. This ride really needs help. For example, unlike most woodies, the crew waits for exiting riders to completely clear the platform before they allow other riders to board, and the individual seat-belts need to go. They were dueling the trains, but that won't fix the ride.

Montu and Kumba were running three trains, with some minor stacking, with about 15 minute wait for each.

In addition to the track on site, there was a piece of track sitting alongside a parking lot tram in a empty lot just north of Adventure Island

IMG_0374.JPG.055455c0ec3c84517b8af8e116c16857.JPG

The park is having New Years fireworks, but we did not stick around for them

IMG_0385.JPG.3987eee258c7a962115a12652bd0508b.JPG

Gwazi was actually dueling

IMG_0384.JPG.ea37432fbfb0406593f3789955487b43.JPG

Oh look! They're going to put new trains on Gwazi. Might not be the best for capacity though

IMG_0371.JPG.3114d06220c39b1be8b025455aa10c7c.JPG

Plenty of track is up, but there is a long way to go

IMG_0375.JPG.3181b7c5af23fb07c18cc5f573482459.JPG

Through the trees...

IMG_0379.JPG.d1bdef7611452e048508e6c1eadb0d96.JPG

Dirt! Yay!

IMG_0393.JPG.ee10ffdf50fed7154ab4061985310dbe.JPG

A section of track over by the Skyride turnaround, as seen from the train. This thing is going to be long

IMG_0394.JPG.f1f9e185164814b9ba1b6288572a91d0.JPG

More of the same track

IMG_0396.JPG.c4a6f25b5ada512b97990ee67e363bdb.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG.3926c6785a8b1ac5a3a0231a540b3670.JPG

More dirt! Yay!

IMG_0398.JPG.3f6badf072e17e62275f1a3af041b05f.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG.262a7b6a69a6f0e9c5f9daa7bb7b1379.JPG

Brake and transfer track on the backside of the Skyride/Monorail building

IMG_0400.thumb.JPG.69e45e3529c3a9a87869b0686ff1a1d0.JPG

More of the front section

IMG_0401.JPG.53dc2649865e6669d21b523fb6ca7174.JPG

Track going over the old Clydesdale stable

IMG_0405.JPG.fdce5818e7bdc710e43417461e501521.JPG

It looks like the old monorail station is going to be the station

IMG_0404.JPG.5aa380ddf706c44b17550941cd68f527.JPG

I'm guessing that this is the initial launch

IMG_0407.JPG.db46a060723e6a04cc13397d171d5114.JPG

Rollback brakes being installed.

I'm hoping that they make the queue very similar to manta. They should have it set-up so while waiting in line there are windows to see the cheetahs like the entire manta queue is an aquarium. I hope they add this to Quick Queue right away. (Maybe by the time this opens manta will have ride again privileges for platinum pass holders! Maybe they can add this to that benefit quickly. It would be a nice incentive to get platinum passes again!)

^Well we know GCI has been out there quite a bit lately, and has even tested MF's on Gwazi. However, I fear it will not be as big of a fix as many of you think. Riding Wildcat at Hershey even with the new MF trains is still rough as hell.

I don't think you can undo all the damage that the PTC's have caused over the years even with a massive rehab.

I hope I'm wrong though!

^^It did just close down for what, a month worth of rehab? It would be the perfect time...I really hope they're switching them out!

EDIT: ^Agreed. Wildcat was much better for a few months after the Millennium Flyers were added, but it's already back to being pretty darn bad. Hopefully with some extensive retracking they can get Gwazi to run a bit better than Hershey was able to do with new-Wildcat.

^I agree. With the retracking happening, we can hope that it runs better regardless of whether they keep the PTCs or get the new Millennium Flyers. I haven't ridden Gwazi since 2006 and won't be able to pass judgment on it again until I visit the park in June.

Edited by robbalvey
TAMPA, Fla. - There's a new way to get the feel of the jungle here in Tampa. The Broadway Show "Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy" is now playing at Busch Gardens.

This morning, ABC Action News Contributor, Sean Daly, is getting a first hand look at the incredible skill involved in this kind of show.

Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy comes complete with acrobats, aerialists, jugglers and contortionists.

The story is based on Mother Nature leading her Jungle Boys through the wild.

The show debuted at the Broadway Theatre in June 2008. There are similar shows in the Cirque Dreams repertoire, including "Illumination", "Pandemonia" and "Coobrila" but "Jungle Fantasy" is the only one to ever appear on Broadway.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/breathtaking-broadway-performers-bring-a-new-spectacle-to-busch-gardens

Hours of the show can be found on the park's website under Park in "Hours & Show Times" under the "Plan Your Trip" tab.

http://www.seaworldparksblog.com/new-year-new-cheetah-hunt-construction-update

Happy New Year, coaster fanatics! The holidays are behind us and that means we’ll be back to our regularly scheduled Cheetah Hunt construction updates.

For those of you who are new to these posts, these updates are for those SO passionate about roller coasters that they Just.Can't.Wait to see the finished product of Cheetah Hunt. They want to know what’s going on up to the minute! Are you of one these people? (Be honest and nod your head "yes.")

Then, come with us now on a virtual tour of the site where all the action’s taking place. Slap on your (imaginary) hard hat, and let’s open the door of the construction wall.

Creeeakk! Yes, that’s the sound of the big yellow door door opening. (Just humor me, friends.)

Well, here you have it. Construction in the area this week includes concrete and pilings that are paving the way between the tower and the canyon and moving track pieces into position in the canyon itself.

Readers, close your eyes. Can you just imagine it? Whoooooooosh!

At one point, riders (yes, that means you) will feel like they are darting through a canyon while a river rushes beneath them.

The river? That part of Cheetah Hunt will reuse the former water portion of Rhino Rally.

Well, we hope you enjoyed the year’s first peek behind the yellow wall inside Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. These photos were taken just yesterday. Stay tuned here for all the latest Cheetah Hunt updates and news.

Go ahead and post a comment; let us know what you think about the progress so far!

jan5_1.jpg-300x200.jpg.7f0390755fcd05d0a8ad09ac3e288297.jpg

jan5_2.jpg-300x208.jpg.f22a400eff8b72c59ba315fbb7fac96d.jpg

jan5_3.jpg-300x200.jpg.89e7ce4d5cdb7f69a4fb9a342c411e8d.jpg

jan5_4.jpg-300x200.jpg.4e8c60f33df9e1475c4b71c70b251d56.jpg

Screamscape has reported that new anti rollbacks were installed on both lift hills of Gwazi. In the complete rumor category: the MF trains are rumored to have been delivered. Can't wait to see if this is true about the Flyers.

I rode Gwazi on New Years eve just a few days before the rehab and honestly it felt a lot better than it usually does, like the re-tracking in places is really starting to break in and smoothen the thing out. I really hope the Millennium Flyers can return this thing to its former glory. Gwazi was one of my favorite coasters in its first two season.

I too love Gwazi...when it loves me back. But there have been some rough patches over the years. This really is pretty big for the park..well assuming they run smooth. I really cant wait to see how they run. I will be there on the 22 for sure.