TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

^^^ IMO it looks like you might be trying to push an agenda, as a quick google search showed 9 of 10 results to show images or material related to cheetah's hunting their prey, not being hunted. The point to the name being you are the cheetah on the hunt. So what if the domain name was just registered, do you not think there are nerds like us checking on new name registrations on a regular basis? They've kept it a secret, and if they changed the name, so be it, it's their ride, their millions, and their choice.

search results

Please don't be harsh on a new member trying to rationally explain his point of view.

I'm pretty sure once the theming is complete and commericals are made it will be clear that you are the Cheetah on the hunt and not the other way around. Especially if the train looks like a cheetah.

And I heard that a resident of the Busch Gardens neighborhood named Cheetaka was going to sue BG if they used her name.

That makes much more sense as to why that name can't be used. Don't get me wrong, Cheetah Hunt is a pretty cool name and it goes well with the story Busch Gardens is trying to portray in this ride...but Cheetaka...FTW that would be so gnarly. I wonder if BG has tried to make a deal with this alledged woman named Cheetaka, personally I think it would be kinda neat to have a ride named after me like that...just sayin'

They should give us 'laser rifles' where we could paint the target on the cheetah's as we are riding the coaster... think Men in Black.. but better. When you come back to the station, it tells you how many cheetah's you nabbed on your ride.

Or have a piece of meat on a track that follows next to a launch every once in a while, so that the cheetahs will run alongside the train??!?!?!

One can dream...

No no.. Remember. It's Cheetah Hunt. If anything the meat is just to lure them closer so it's easier to tag them.

I remember when the iPad was announced earlier this year, and initially everyone mocked the name mercilessly. A ton of people thought it was horrible and stupid. Well, a bit of time passed and all the complaints about the name died down.

Basically, just give it time. The name will sound more and more normal the more you get used to it.

As a person who lives in the Tampa Bay area, but hasn't been to Busch Gardens in two years, I'm excited to see that I finally have a reason to go back!

To get this out of the way, I agree that the name isn't the most imaginative, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. As for the confusion about hunting cheetahs... why not just call it "Cheetah's Hunt"? I think that would be fairly unambiguous and give a better indication that the ride is supposed to mimic a cheetah hunting its prey.

In terms of the ride itself, I think Busch Gardens has a real winner. As a coaster enthusiast, I would have definitely like something closer to Maverick on the intensity scale, but I still expect this ride to be incredibly thrilling and fun. Plus, I think it definitely fills a nice gap in the park's coaster collection between a ride like Gwazi, and the 'big boys' - Kumba, Montu, and Sheikra. Overall, the ride looks to have a great combination of forces including some abundant airtime if the video is any indication. As for only having one inversion... well I'd just say that if Maverick is any indication, that shouldn't matter at all (the horseshoe rolls weren't that memorable compared to the rest of the ride).

I do have a few disappointments though:

- No real powerful launch. The only full launch is the 30mph one out of the station, while the other two are more of a rolling launch (as in, you're already moving when entering it, so you don't get the full blast of a 0-60 launch).

- No Stengel Dive

- The flat section after the turn-around following the barrel roll looks like a bit of a missed opportunity. I can see that they might have had to stretch things to get the ride to go through the previously dug trench, but I still think something interesting could have fit there (perhaps anther barrel roll type element).

And finally, I'm a little confused on one point in their press release. They say the ride features 'overbanked turns' but I don't see any in the video. Am I missing something or did they just confuse coaster terminology?

Anyways, next spring can't come soon enough!

Edited by orangeblue

Why do people seem to think this ride's name is contradictory to the goal of the parks?

Because the ride's name is ambiguous and confusing to a good many people.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a name change in the future.

It's only confusing to people who think Busch Gardens would design a ride where you 'kill cheetahs'..

And finally, I'm a little confused on one point in their press release. They say the ride features 'overbanked turns' but I don't see any in the video. Am I missing something or did they just confuse coaster terminology?

Isn't there an overbanked turn at the beginning of the ride right after the launch?

Also, I agree about the Stengal Dive bit... the ride could have definitely benefitted from one or two.

Why do people seem to think this ride's name is contradictory to the goal of the parks?

Because the ride's name is ambiguous and confusing to a good many people.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a name change in the future.

It's only confusing to people who think Busch Gardens would design a ride where you 'kill cheetahs'..

The name is more implicit in its confusion.

Isn't there an overbanked turn at the beginning of the ride right after the launch?

Also, I agree about the Stengal Dive bit... the ride could have definitely benefitted from one or two.

No, that turn after the first launch was definitely less than 90 degrees.

Do people complain about the name Cheetah Chase? Why would you chase a cheetah unless you are hunting it?

Uhhh .. what animal chases a cheetah to kill it? Poachers are probably the only thing that point blank kill an adult cheetah (cubs are probably eaten often in the wild..) And poachers don't chase them. They just sit there and shoot them.

I honestly like the name and I'm happy it's not called something like "Three launch coaster" or "Cheetah Ride". I live about 45 minutes from Busch Gardens and I have been dying to ride another Intamin after riding I305 at East Coast Bash so I'm very excited for this ride.

I honestly like the name and I'm happy it's not called something like "Three launch coaster" or "Cheetah Ride". I live about 45 minutes from Busch Gardens and I have been dying to ride another Intamin after riding I305 at East Coast Bash so I'm very excited for this ride.

Hopefully this won't be the last Intamin in Florida. It definitely took too long to get one in the state..