TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 357: "The Forgotten" Howl-O-Scream house announced!

Bummer of a start to the day. Looks like Cobras Curse is down for the weekend and Cheetah Hunt showing no signs of life. 

No food and bev stands open yet either. It's 95 out here.

Sheikra has only been up for 10 minutes today but thankfully Cheetah Hunt is back up!

Holy shit Flacon's Fury is life changing! 

Piggybacking off @robbalvey's recent topic, I'm astounded by how many smoking sections there are! More than open food and bev stations that's for sure. Is SEA/BUSCH the last park catering to that? 

3 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Piggybacking off @robbalvey's recent topic, I'm astounded by how many smoking sections there are! More than open food and bev stations that's for sure. Is SEA/BUSCH the last park catering to that? 

The SF parks, Hershey, and Knoebels have as many smoking zones as ever (and they are appreciated!).  I think CF is the only chain who used COVID as an excuse to go smoke-free.

• Like 1

Cobra’s Curse has been closed for almost a week. It was closed last Sunday when I was there later in the day and I check Queue Times at least once a day and I haven’t seen it listed as open at all since then (it looks like it last operated part of last Sunday).

Not much better today. Montu never opened so that corner of the park is just a waste with Cobra's Curse also closed. Hope we are just getting bad days because this park is so beautiful and the coaster line up is top tier. The food and bev service is so dysmal and 90% of the staff can't even crack a smile, this is just such a strage park right now.

• Like 1

So despite a laundry list of questionable choices and complaints about this park, we made the most of this 2 day visit. 

Absolutely BGT is a bucket list park with the legendary Kumba & Montu and they not only lived up to the hype but it's so great that they are SO SMOOTH! Riding Banshee 2 days ago it's laughable comparing old to new B&M. 

Kumba feels massive yet the stats have you thinking it's a smaller looper. What a beast. Not once did my head touch the OTSR, even on the cobra loop. 

Sheikra is my new favorite dive coaster. That backrow air is incredible! 

Cheetah Hunt is such a perfect family coaster. I love how the inversion is hidden way out in the Savannah and you could hear it take some guests by surprise. Loved the front row's airtime going up the tower and the back for the drop off. 

Falcon's Fury was life changing in a way I had only experienced similar to DoDoDonpa. What an insane, amazing, terrifyingly great ride. 

Gwazi was closed.

Cobras Curse was closed.

The safari up charge was 10000% worth it to hand feed giraffes! I'll post a more detailed trip report later, off to Orlando for Sea World and Universal for 4 days! 

20210620_110451.jpg

20210620_201624.jpg

20210620_133910.jpg

Screenshot_20210620-091640_Photos.jpg

20210619_121452.jpg

20210619_113906.jpg

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

So despite a laundry list of questionable choices and complaints about this park, we made the most of this 2 day visit. 

Glad you ended up having a decent visit. It's really a great park that can just be very frustrating at times with their operations. Pretty much been like that as long as I can remember visiting. Unexpected ride closures can happen especially considering the park is open year round so that's understandable, but to be fair their ride operations are usually pretty decent to make up for everything else so the coasters alone keep me coming back.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, xVicesAndVirtues said:

^We never go on weekends because the park is usually slammed on weekends and dead on weekdays, but I haven't seen them use the second station in at least 2 years, if not longer.

I went on Wednesday 6/9 and Thursday 6/10. They used the second station on Wednesday but not on Thursday. The line was pretty decent when they ran both stations and 4 trains. On Thursday when they ran one station and 3 trains, the line was abysmal and they double stacked the trains almost every dispatch.

Perhaps we dodged a bullet on our two days. We had an excellent time, and every ride was open. Food service could've been better but it really wasn't too bad. We mostly just kept going back to the big grill right near Falcon's Fury (the name escapes me...) where there are multiple food options to choose from and a huge seating hall in the air conditioning. Reminded me of Harmony Hall at Carowinds.

I plan on going back tomorrow or Wednesday. Crazy this is my new home park now.

They've gotta run it every now and then, and it's been spotted testing before so I don't believe anything is changing. I'm not sure I'd even wanna travel to visit with Gwazi open given how poor the park is operating this year.

Remember when Ice Breaker tested like crazy and then it tested with riders and then it did team member previews and then didn't open?

The bloggers freaking out about this apparently learned nothing from that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know it's not going to happen but how cool would it be if they found a way to open Iron Gwazi for "limited previews" or whatever exclusively during Howloscream. Open it up at night during the event for one month only, then close it down and open it to the public next spring or whenever.

Come on BGT, do it you cowards, I promise I'll buy a ticket 😄.

Right, they're going to open their new big draw during the time of year that's absolutely the busiest anyway.  That makes perfect sense.

4 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

Right, they're going to open their new big draw during the time of year that's absolutely the busiest anyway.  That makes perfect sense.

I mean said it's not gonna happen but it would be cool if it did, that was the very first line?

I went to the park today for a few hours. I guess the threat of rain after Elsa scared people since the park had very low crowds.

Cheetah Hunt was running 3 trains with 1 station. Posted 30 minute wait but the actual was only 5 - 10 minutes.

Falcon's Fury was closed.

Sheikra had 2 trains running with 1 station with and no line.

I tried Congo River Rapids for the first time. I was mostly dry until one waterfall at the end that got me soaked and all the water jet at the end that pushes the raft to one of the 2 conveyor belts caused others to get soaked.

Dispatches were fast with hardly any stacking.

There was some heavy rain that lasted around 15 minutes but the rides reopened shortly afterwards. I would really like to see some indoor rides added with how often it rains and since the park has so few non coaster rides.

It's difficult to find a self serve kiosk that works. Last time I tried one outside of the park entrance near the tram drop off and it didn't print my one time Quick Queue. Today I tried the one near Montu and it stated I didn't have any pass member benefits. The one near Sheikra allowed me to print the Quick Queue. At all 3 of the kiosks, none of the scanners were working and I had to manually enter my pass number.

One thing that is taken some getting used to (although not that important and not a complaint) is that at Busch Gardens and Sea World there is no all clear or dispatch message from the ride operator like at Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks.

• 2 weeks later...