TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 348 - Iron Gwazi POV!

So I caught it on the only weekend out of the entire year that it was scheduled to be down. Phooey!

Good to know about Kumba, I wasn't planning on visiting again until the middle of March anyway.

Since BGT is a year round park, they usually always have their maintenance schedule posted on their website. It’s always worth a look before planning a trip there, especially in the off-season.

Yeah, that's definitely pretty awesome that Busch does this. For one -- they actually do awesome maintenance, but keeping people in the loop is great too. Six Flags doesn't care. They don't do a bad job on maintenance, but I don't see them going out of their way to keep guests in the loop. I think that what kills Six Flags is that the employees will often not know how to respond to an issue or will struggle to get a train out when the system starts acting up. Better training and having the money to hire A players could let them hire ride ops who were more mechanically savvy and better able to adapt to different scenarios. Also probably don't have enough mechanics on staff to respond to issues.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap you nerds are a tough crowd.  It looks like a coaster that will make me hoot and holler the entire time I'm on it while simultaneously trying to throw my fat ass as far from the train as pos

It means that you can look forward to a fun-filled day riding Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and Sheikra and while you're in line for one of those you might be able to watch an Iron Gwazi POV on your phon

I actually agree with many of you talking about how the RMC's are all very similar.  And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with building a ton of very similar kick ass rides when most people who ride

Posted Images

Yeah, we always check this calendar before planning trips. At this point we visit enough that the only deal-breakers are really Kumba and Montu (though Montu rarely goes down for refurb, it's a tank and they run the crap out of it).

So I caught it on the only weekend out of the entire year that it was scheduled to be down. Phooey!

Good to know about Kumba, I wasn't planning on visiting again until the middle of March anyway.

Since BGT is a year round park, they usually always have their maintenance schedule posted on their website. It’s always worth a look before planning a trip there, especially in the off-season.

Yeah, that's definitely pretty awesome that Busch does this. For one -- they actually do awesome maintenance, but keeping people in the loop is great too. Six Flags doesn't care. They don't do a bad job on maintenance, but I don't see them going out of their way to keep guests in the loop. I think that what kills Six Flags is that the employees will often not know how to respond to an issue or will struggle to get a train out when the system starts acting up. Better training and having the money to hire A players could let them hire ride ops who were more mechanically savvy and better able to adapt to different scenarios. Also probably don't have enough mechanics on staff to respond to issues.

Cedar fair and six flags are basically the same when listing ride closures. I actually found ride closures slightly easier to find at six flags parks. Typically they have a board at the parks entrance, and listed on the website.

170789378_Screenshot_20190115-113451_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.582acb7af82bd58ce6ce5884158ae26a.jpg

20180628_153513_0.thumb.jpg.8b92432d5b71cf981e5af9eb930ca345.jpg

That's not even close to the same thing.

Six Flags only tells you when a ride is closed right now. It doesn't tell you in advance of the closure or when they expect it to reopen once it's closed. Knott's tells you (at most) about a month in advance on the bottom of this page.

At Magic Mountain, you could walk into the park one day and find a ride closed that operated the previous day with no advanced warning even if it was planned and no timetable of when it'll reopen (even if they expect it to be down for months).

Busch Gardens Tampa gives you the entire planned refurb schedule for the following year by mid-December so that you can plan vacations around it if there are certain rides that you want to make sure you get to ride. Depending on when you plan your trip you have over a year's notice.

This page is awesome and they should be commended for doing it because most parks don't.

It seems like the ride closure schedule would only be necessary at year-round parks. Carowinds just added that to their website (It is still blank right now). The only other Cedar Fair park websites with that option are Knott's Berry Farm and California's Great America. CGA just has what was closed during Winterfest.

Maybe it will just show ride closures for holiday events at Carowinds? Seems like the open attractions list would take care of that.

It seems like the ride closure schedule would only be necessary at year-round parks.

For sure. Any closure at a seasonal park is likely unplanned and due to a mechanical issue unless they're just posting redundant operating lists for their Christmas events.

Cedar fair and six flags are basically the same when listing ride closures. I actually found ride closures slightly easier to find at six flags parks. Typically they have a board at the parks entrance, and listed on the website.

Its just a rite of passage at a Six Flags park to look at the board, and see 2-4 rides that they're not even attempting to open for the day. Then you get the rides that break down on top of that throughout the day. And of course the worst is when its a coaster that you need the credit for.

I don't know what Six Flags parks you go to but aside from a few of them (La Ronde and the California parks for example) it's rare to go to a Six Flags park and see a coaster closed with the park making no attempt to open it unless it has a major mechanical issue or it's green and it's name's Goliath (which is suffering from a "major mechanical issue" almost every minute of every day).

I don't even know the last time I went to Great Adventure and saw a coaster closed all day (Joker usually sh*ts itself in the home-stretch of Holiday in the Park once temps get hilariously low but during the rest of the season with reasonable weather it's fine).

I don't know what Six Flags parks you go to but aside from a few of them (La Ronde and the California parks for example) it's rare to go to a Six Flags park and see a coaster closed with the park making no attempt to open it unless it has a major mechanical issue or it's green and it's name's Goliath (which is suffering from a "major mechanical issue" almost every minute of every day).

I don't even know the last time I went to Great Adventure and saw a coaster closed all day (Joker usually sh*ts itself in the home-stretch of Holiday in the Park once temps get hilariously low but during the rest of the season with reasonable weather it's fine).

I meant to say "ride" not coaster. Always guaranteed to see some ride closures, if not including a coaster or two in there as well. I've been to about 2/3 of the SF parks in the chain, will probably get to the rest within a few years. Its the same everywhere. In contrast, CF is usually one at most, but most days they run everything. Don't think I've ever been to a SF park where everything was operating all at once -- and SFA used to be my home park as a kid and I'd go 5-10 times a year.

To chime in on the annual rehab schedule of Busch Gardens Tampa, it has always been accurate for me and has been a major help in me avoiding a visit with Kumba closed.

Meanwhile I spent a majority of my most recent visit not knowing if Twisted Colossus was down for rehab or mechanical issues.

and SFA used to be my home park as a kid

No wonder you hate Six Flags so much.

I don't know man, I've been to about 2/3 of the parks in the chain, and they all more or less have the same yuckiness to them. I love the coasters at Six Flags parks... I think that they more or less stack up to Cedar Fair as a whole. And most of the RMCs are are at SF parks, so that's a huge leg up. But the advantages and/or similarities end there. Other than the quality of the coasters, nothing about Six Flags is first rate. But by the same token, other parks are 1st class all the way, but just don't have great rides and cater to kids. So what's the point of taking the time to go to a great park just won't give you great rieds?

So not to say that I hate SF parks, but they just generally have a "yuckiness" to them that's hard to describe in words.

^ no, you come across as hating Six Flags, and always seem to have a negative comment on the parks themselves or management.

if you think they "more or less have the same yuckiness to them", then you haven't bothered with a couple of the really high rated US parks: SFOG, and SFFT - both of which are beautiful, and have a great assortment of ride options.

Mike, this isn’t really the site that will give you extra blowjob points for snarkily telling someone they’re wrong about some roller coaster fact and providing them with a link to RCDB, just FYI.

On the topic of Tigris...

I'm really happy to see this ride come to the park. I like the Sky Rocket II coasters more than most (granted, I like them even more without the "comfort" collars), but nonetheless they are smooth, intense coasters that also have a surprisingly not-totally-horrible capacity. BGT locals/fans are really getting spoiled with this and RMC Gwazi next year.

I'm really happy to see this ride come to the park. I like the Sky Rocket II coasters more than most (granted, I like them even more without the "comfort" collars), but nonetheless they are smooth, intense coasters that also have a surprisingly not-totally-horrible capacity. BGT locals/fans are really getting spoiled with this and RMC Gwazi next year.

They are horrible capacity wise. That is a fact. The lines don't get too long, because the ride is not universally loved.

They are horrible capacity wise. That is a fact. The lines don't get too long, because the ride is not universally loved.

yep, agreed with Larry.

I thought Tempesto was "not awful" then 2nd time I got to BGW. . but must admit I only rode it once, while riding other coasters in the park (other than Alpengeist which was also 1 and done) multiple, multiple times.

I think it will be really easy to hit this new coaster in the first hour it's open with a short wait. It's a long, long way from the park entrance, and will be almost invisible from the parking lot or main gate. I would imagine on busy days the line though the line will get longer than Sheikra and Cheetah Hunt in the middle of the day due to poor capacity and new-ness.

I do wish that this was a Crazanity-Style Giant Discovery, and any extra money saved would be spent to extend RMC Gwazi's layout. But having the biggest and best coasters by far will certainly help Busch Gardens establish a bigger presence in the FL Market.