TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 348 - Iron Gwazi POV!

The thing that makes that article great is that the "endurance coaster" is a togo stand-up.

Those tend to be endurance tests in their original, shorter versions.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I actually agree with many of you talking about how the RMC's are all very similar.  And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with building a ton of very similar kick ass rides when most people who ride

Holy crap you nerds are a tough crowd.  It looks like a coaster that will make me hoot and holler the entire time I'm on it while simultaneously trying to throw my fat ass as far from the train as pos

It means that you can look forward to a fun-filled day riding Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and Sheikra and while you're in line for one of those you might be able to watch an Iron Gwazi POV on your phon

Posted Images

So I was doing a little bit of searching in the Tampa permit database and I found 2 surprising facts:

1) Sandstorm was to be relocated somewhere else in the park (but that permit got cancelled).

2) The City of Tampa signed off on the ride on MAY 6. It seems like the only explanation for the ride still be closed is that (when testing stopped) a major part of the ride broke. I'm sure there are parts that have never been used on a ride before so I would think that whatever broke had to be manufactured from scratch back over seas.

It was because of a parts issue. They had to replace all of the cables that move the catch car, and I guess it took a while for them to be delivered. Not sure if this next part is official or not, but I heard that they had to be replaced because the lubrication used in the old ones was not reacting well with the Florida weather.

So I was doing a little bit of searching in the Tampa permit database and I found 2 surprising facts:

1) Sandstorm was to be relocated somewhere else in the park (but that permit got cancelled).

2) The City of Tampa signed off on the ride on MAY 6. It seems like the only explanation for the ride still be closed is that (when testing stopped) a major part of the ride broke. I'm sure there are parts that have never been used on a ride before so I would think that whatever broke had to be manufactured from scratch back over seas.

Sandstorm was originally planned to be re-located to a plot near the entrance of Gwazi Park by the special events pavilions. I'd imagine the park's greater plans for that section of the park were enough reason to cancel those plans and to send the ride to Sesame Place.

Im considering flying down to tampa for a weekend of howl o scream in october, any tips/recommendations/things to avoid?

Anybody wanna help me out?

If you can...I would do it on a thursday night. do the meal thing before and it also, as of last year, gets you express for the houses for like 2 hours!

According to some of my family in Florida that are at the park right now, Falcons Fury has opened. My nephew who is the one doing the riding said it was awesome. Sounds to me like you guys have another awesome ride at the park.

Looks nice! I still maintain that I would rather have the cars facing down all the way (including the braking) to get rid of those pre-brakes. But it still looks like a fun ride.

We went to BGT early this morning for park open! Rode nearly everything by 11am... Queues were nearly nonexistent, sans Cheetah Hunt (about 35 minutes after we rode with NO LINE!) We traversed the park clockwise after Cheetah Hunt and Montu... then hit Gwazi, ShieKra, Stanley Falls, Kumba and Scorpion... by that time we hung around Pantopia with a couple of beers and a BACON PRETZEL FURY (AMAZING!) while Falcon's Fury made a bunch of test drops and slow ground to top to ground ride resets... We had gotten a tip from the beer cart that the ride "MIGHT" soft open to guests by 3pm... We hung around for about an hour... watching the test runs (hoping it just might open early... it didn't)... by 1:30p we were tired and left... So at this very moment, if all went according to plan, the ride may have opened to park guests a 1/2 hr ago!! Overall a GREAT morning/early afternoon at the park!

Well I can confirm that they soft opened it to the public today (or I guess technically yesterday now) at 3:10. I was on the second run

The ride is absolutely amazing. The first ride in a long time to really get my adrenaline going.

Edited by rcrider4

The drop from off ride looks very slow and controlled. I wonder if someone who's been on it can comment if you really get the feeling of true freefall, or if it even matters considering you're facing straight down.

It is definitely a freefall. The braking doesn't really happen until the seats start to swing out. As for the sensation it gives, it's unlike anything else I have ever ridden. It's kind of hard to explain, but I guess you could kinda say it is like a typical negative G feeling, but going backwards instead of up. A really weird but fun feeling.

I've heard some people say how the 3rd (Drop tower @ KI & KD), and the SFMM/GAdv versions are nowhere near as forceful a drop as the 1st and 2nd gen towers.

Not sure about the giant drop (KI and KD) but I have also heard that the 1st and 2nd gen (which are the only ones I've tried) are more forceful/better free-fall sensation than the new ones.

I haven't ridden Falcon's Fury yet, but I've been on pretty much every other Intamin Free Fall on Earth and I believe that the 1st and 2nd generations are much more powerful than the newer drop towers.