TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 348 - Iron Gwazi POV!

I prefer my own park which is the Tampa one, but one thing I don't understand is why everyone rates Kumba so high. I mean it's pretty good, but Hulk,Kraken, and even Sheikra blow it out of the water. Yes, I would take Apollo's Chariot easily over Kumba even though I prefer Nitro.

While I am somewhat excited about Falcon's Fury I do think its bark will be worse than its bite and it might even be a letdown. I mean why is it that Drop Zone at Kings Island has a higher top speed even though it is a bit shorter? Probably because Falcon will have less drop time and will break higher up. What a shame.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap you nerds are a tough crowd.  It looks like a coaster that will make me hoot and holler the entire time I'm on it while simultaneously trying to throw my fat ass as far from the train as pos

I actually agree with many of you talking about how the RMC's are all very similar.  And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with building a ton of very similar kick ass rides when most people who ride

It means that you can look forward to a fun-filled day riding Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and Sheikra and while you're in line for one of those you might be able to watch an Iron Gwazi POV on your phon

Posted Images

People like Kumba because of it's relentless intensity. All of the other coasters you mentioned (except Hulk I guess) are not very forceful rides. They're smooth, comfortable and have interesting layouts but they lack the fast transitions and high g forces that Kumba has.

Really I guess it comes down to personal taste. If you want a ride that's flowing, smooth and has some cool extras like Sheikra's splash down and holding brake, or if you prefer hypercoasters over looping coasters than Kumba won't be your cup of tea... but if you like G forces and ripping through element after element to the point where you're completely disoriented, then Kumba (specifically in the back row) is miles ahead of those other coasters.

I prefer my own park which is the Tampa one, but one thing I don't understand is why everyone rates Kumba so high. I mean it's pretty good, but Hulk,Kraken, and even Sheikra blow it out of the water. Yes, I would take Apollo's Chariot easily over Kumba even though I prefer Nitro.

While I am somewhat excited about Falcon's Fury I do think its bark will be worse than its bite and it might even be a letdown. I mean why is it that Drop Zone at Kings Island has a higher top speed even though it is a bit shorter? Probably because Falcon will have less drop time and will break higher up. What a shame.

Just because a ride is shorter or isn't as fast does not mean that it is an inferior ride. The Larson ARM towers are better than most other towers on the market, including towers twice as tall. As for Kumba, if you have ridden it, then you understand why it is so amazing. Sheikra is great, but not nearly as intense or crazy. All of the rides you listed are good, but not great. If you like those rides over Kumba, then you probably also think that Top Thrill Dragster is better than Maverick....

It is definitely a matter of taste. I prefer the relentless speed and quick transitions of Kumba over the others you mentioned (although I think they are all pretty great as well )

I also think Falcon's Fury might suprise you. I think the height and the tilt forward are going to be freaking awesome - but time will certainly tell. I know I will be there for passholder previews, whenever that happens though.

D.

Count me on the boat that felt kinda underwhelmed by Kumba. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the ride, but I didn't find it all that relentless or intense at all. Compared to Hersheypark's Intamin trio, it's practically a kiddie ride. I found Montu and Cheetah Hunt more forceful - Montu with it's incredible batwing and excellent pacing, Cheetah with it's fun pops of airtime and twisty Rhino Rally segment.

Compared to Hersheypark's Intamin trio, it's practically a kiddie ride.

In terms of intensity, it might not be that same as Skyrush or storm runner but I assume (as I haven't been on it) that it's more forceful than Fahrenheit, which is really fun, just not very intense. But if you take into account things like length, then it might also beat storm runner (even though that's an awesome ride).

If Kumba is not your #1 coaster, you are doing something wrong. Therefore, BGT WINS!

100% correct! Kumba is definetely an awesome experience. Considering that there isn't really a ton of Sit-Down B&M's left.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't none of B&Ms 100 or so coasters gone out of commission(they have changed parks)? == There was never to many sitdowns to begin with.

If Kumba is not your #1 coaster, you are doing something wrong. Therefore, BGT WINS!

100% correct! Kumba is definetely an awesome experience. Considering that there isn't really a ton of Sit-Down B&M's left.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't none of B&Ms 100 or so coasters gone out of commission(they have changed parks)? == There was never to many sitdowns to begin with.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I was hinting towards that. Sorry for any confusion

Compared to Hersheypark's Intamin trio, it's practically a kiddie ride.

In terms of intensity, it might not be that same as Skyrush or storm runner but I assume (as I haven't been on it) that it's more forceful than Fahrenheit, which is really fun, just not very intense. But if you take into account things like length, then it might also beat storm runner (even though that's an awesome ride).

Personally I think that depends where you sit. Skyrush is more intense than Kumba, but Skyrush is more intense than pretty much everything. I think if you ride Kumba near the front of the train (where it's still awesome) it's not as intense as Storm Runner but if you ride Kumba in the back, especially on the right side of the train Kumba will try to kill you (in a good way). Kumba in any seat is more intense than Farenheit.

Obviously that's just my opinion though. I have both Storm Runner and Kumba in my top 10 (out of over 200 coasters) so they're both great as far as I'm concerned.

For as much as my wife and I LOVED BGW, it makes BGT very, very high on my wish list of parks I want to visit. The place looks absolutely fantastic, especially with all the animal exhibits (which definitely speaks to us). Plus, I'd love to ride Kumba to see if it lives up to all the hype (not to mention, I haven't been on a B&M sitdown looping coaster before)......and ride Montu, as it always has looked like one of the better inverted coasters out there. Banshee recently took over the crown as my favorite invert, so I'd love to see how it compares to Montu.

I will say (since I've seen this coaster mentioned in comparisons here) that my wife and I both thought that Apollo's Chariot was certainly the best coaster at BGW, so I could see where people who have been to both parks may like that coaster best. Kumba sounds wonderful, and I might like it better, but we all know this is a hobby of personal preferences and opinions. I don't think statements like "If Kumba isn't your favorite, you're doing it wrong" make much sense, and get fairly close to that fine line of trying to jam your favorite ride down people's throats. Just my thoughts on it.

Edited by PhantomNick

^ LOL - I am pretty sure when we say "If you don't like Kumba, you are doing it wrong" we are joking around (at least I am.)

The animals at BGT really make it stand out for me. Tigers, Monkeys, Apes, Hippo's, Rhino's, Hyena, Otters, Elephants, etc... are just cool (not to mention the Cheetah's which are awesome.)

Also, two of my favorite things there are the Lorikeets (which I think they have at BGW) and the Kangaroo's / Wallabee's. I always end up with about 5 Lorikeet's landing on me to eat, and I love love love feeding and petting the Kangaroo's.

I rode Kumba four times. Twice in the middle and twice in the back (both times rightmost seat) and pretty much got the same ride every time. I still rank HP's Intamins and most of the B&Ms I've ridden ahead of it.

Storm Runner is FAR more intense than Kumba will ever be. Nothing can beat the gut-punching launch, back to back snappy inversions, and truly killer snake dive. Not even Kumba's supposed "killer zero G roll" which pretty much felt like a normal zero G roll. As for Fahrenheit, I got loads of unexpected airtime in places I had no idea airtime could even exist on that. That's definitely one of the most underrated (and I'll even go out on a limb and say forceful) coasters I've ridden. Kumba had a nice pop of air before the cobra roll, but nothing like what I got on Fahrenheit.

That being said, Kumba has a solid layout, great setting, an amazing roar, and I love the queue line. It seems Tampa can pull far better looking queue lines than Williamsburg (sans Verbolten and Alpengeist). Even Gwazi's queue was beautiful.

Kumba in any seat is more intense than Fahrenheit.

Looking at a cartoon drawing of Kumba on the park map is more intense than riding Fahrenheit.

Edited by Ed Farmer
^ LOL - I am pretty sure when we say "If you don't like Kumba, you are doing it wrong" we are joking around (at least I am.)

I was not. I will shove it down your throat, and you will LIKE IT. lol

^LMAO - I should have said "most of us." But in reality - I do not see why people don't feel the same way I do about this amazing ride, and it's been a couple of weeks since my last fix - so I need to get over there soon

^LMAO - I should have said "most of us." But in reality - I do not see why people don't feel the same way I do about this amazing ride, and it's been a couple of weeks since my last fix - so I need to get over there soon

It is a good, intense ride (I liken it to the BTR of sit-down coasters in its intensity), but since I tend to be a bit more sensitive to head rattling that wouldn't bother other people, I'm usually a one-and-done on it. If my head weren't so close to the OTSR's where it bounced around between them through basically the whole ride, I think I'd enjoy it a good bit more. And yes, I know it's not like an Arrow where it feels like the OTSR's are trying to punch you in the head because the transitions are so poorly designed, but the rattling still bothers me (and gives me a headache), and at the end of the day I'd rather ride SheiKra or Cheetah Hunt or Montu because I don't have that same problem on those other coasters.

Kumba in any seat is more intense than Fahrenheit.

Looking at a cartoon drawing of Kumba on the park map is more intense than riding Fahrenheit.

I actually found that ride to be quite underrated. Sure, it's not as intense as the other intamins at the park but it still delivers some great moments of air and the pacing is not so bad either.

It is a good, intense ride (I liken it to the BTR of sit-down coasters in its intensity), but since I tend to be a bit more sensitive to head rattling that wouldn't bother other people, I'm usually a one-and-done on it. If my head weren't so close to the OTSR's where it bounced around between them through basically the whole ride, I think I'd enjoy it a good bit more. And yes, I know it's not like an Arrow where it feels like the OTSR's are trying to punch you in the head because the transitions are so poorly designed, but the rattling still bothers me (and gives me a headache), and at the end of the day I'd rather ride SheiKra or Cheetah Hunt or Montu because I don't have that same problem on those other coasters.

^This. Every time I've visited I've felt the B&M rot. Rattle, rattle.