TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 348 - Iron Gwazi POV!

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap you nerds are a tough crowd.  It looks like a coaster that will make me hoot and holler the entire time I'm on it while simultaneously trying to throw my fat ass as far from the train as pos

I actually agree with many of you talking about how the RMC's are all very similar.  And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with building a ton of very similar kick ass rides when most people who ride

It means that you can look forward to a fun-filled day riding Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and Sheikra and while you're in line for one of those you might be able to watch an Iron Gwazi POV on your phon

Posted Images

Which is better - BG Tampa or Williamsburg, in terms of rides, landscaping and theming?

Verboten>Chunt

Alpengeist=Montu

Griffon=Sheikra

Apollo>Kumba (probably a minority opinion)

Anything>Gwazi

Darkastle>nothing

LNM>Sandstorm er Scorpion

I prefer BGW, but the animal attractions are far superior at BGW - it is the strength of the park. Rides are similar enough to be a wash. And I truly believe the highly themed Verbolten is more fun than Cheetah Hunt. There's something about how that ride is operated that detracts - for me. BGW as a whole is more intensively themed.

I can't believe no one has said this yet but...can we count Cheetah Hunt as an Aquatrax now?!??!

Jimmy "Ride it while you can" Bo

(probably a minority opinion)

That's an understatement. I consider Apollo to be a very forgettable, uneventful B&M and Kumba to be the best B&M I've ever ridden. It's incredibly intense and every element is flat out awesome.

Which is better - BG Tampa or Williamsburg, in terms of rides, landscaping and theming?

As someone who spent the day today at BGW and was just at BGT a few weeks ago, here are my opinions:

Cheetah Hunt > Verbolten (close & may come down to personal preference)

Montu Alpengeist (I think Montu has the better layout & pacing)

SheiKra Griffon (SheiKra has better floaty airtime, a tunnel after the 2nd drop, and a dual-loading station to increase capacity/throughput)

For Kumba vs. Apollo's Chariot, it all comes down to what kind of ride you prefer. A number of enthusiasts have Kumba right at the top of their lists, but I will prefer a B&M hyper to a B&M sit-down or floorless any day of the week, just because of the type of ride I prefer.

I think Loch Ness Monster vs. Gwazi/Scorpion/Sand Serpent has to go to BGT, simply because of quantity. As to ride experience, LNM & Scorpion are similar in my book; Gwazi is miserable; & Sand Serpent is completely forgettable.

I also have a feeling Falcon's Fury is going to be better than Mach Tower.

So I would give 'rides' to BGT, hands down.

As for landscaping, BGW is gorgeous. It's very well done, and there's a reason it has consistently won 'best landscaping' for years & years.

Ride theming is a wash between parks. i may give the edge to BGW for the other non-ride themed elements (shops/restaurants/etc)

BUT, I think one of the biggest differentiating factors is in the animal exhibits. BGT is basically a full zoo combined with a theme park; it has a lot of great animals & a ton of opportunities to see and learn about them. The animal exhibits are really well-integrated into the various areas of the park. BGW has Clydesdales, a couple of wolves, a few birds, and the More Pets Shenanigans show. The parks aren't even in the same universe as far as the animal exhibts go.

Unless all that you're looking for is pretty forestland with rides nestled within, go to BGT. You'll be glad you did.

^I completely agree, except for the Cheetah Hunt part. In fact, I would go as far to say that Manta (SWSD)>Verbolten>California Screamin>Cheetah Hunt.

However, one element when comparing the two parks is also in operations. I rank the two parks on a fairly equal basis. I prefer the coaster selection at BGT (excluding Cheetah Hunt, as I find Verbolten to be superior in all aspects, like theming, thrill factor, queuing era, etc...). Both parks are very nicely themed as well, but BGW has the strong edge in operations. BGW usually has three train ops without stacking, while at BGT, you can often expect two train ops with some stacking. However, I have found summer days at BGT to be less crowded that BGW, so it really seems to balance out.

^I completely agree, except for the Cheetah Hunt part. In fact, I would go as far to say that Manta (SWSD)>Verbolten>California Screamin>Cheetah Hunt.

However, one element when comparing the two parks is also in operations. I rank the two parks on a fairly equal basis. I prefer the coaster selection at BGT (excluding Cheetah Hunt, as I find Verbolten to be superior in all aspects, like theming, thrill factor, queuing era, etc...). Both parks are very nicely themed as well, but BGW has the strong edge in operations. BGW usually has three train ops without stacking, while at BGT, you can often expect two train ops with some stacking. However, I have found summer days at BGT to be less crowded that BGW, so it really seems to balance out.

For me, I think the theming on Verbolten is nice, but once you know the gimmick, the ride doesn't really do all that much for me anymore. Don't get me wrong--it's still fun--but there's no airtime to speak of, it doesn't pull that many G's, and other than the drop down over the water (that I can't help but imagine must have been better on BBW), it just doesn't do anything for me.

Cheetah Hunt for me is the better coaster. It's still well-themed, but the ride to me is actually fun, AND it has airtime, positive G's, great views, etc. I just enjoy it a lot more. (plus CH doesn't have an obnoxious recording that they play for each of the two loading stations a half second apart but loud enough for everyone in the queue to hear!)

Operations-wise, BGW was fine. Griffon only has a single-loading station to SheiKra's dual, and I noticed the difference; they've also killed off its single-rider line due to abuse by groups (a real shame if you ask me). Verbolten's ops were fine. Apollo's Chariot was only running 2 trains, but you could tell it was meant for 3. I didn't notice any issues at Alpengeist.

The only rides at BGT where I've encountered really slow ops are Scorpion (only 1 train) and Gwazi (1 train on 1 side and 25% of that train pre-reserved for Quick Queue people).

I can't believe no one has said this yet but...can we count Cheetah Hunt as an Aquatrax now?!??!

Jimmy "Ride it while you can" Bo

Dang it, I was gonna say that Cheetah Hunt has become an Aquatrax!

I think one of the biggest differentiating factors is in the animal exhibits. BGT is basically a full zoo combined with a theme park; it has a lot of great animals & a ton of opportunities to see and learn about them. The animal exhibits are really well-integrated into the various areas of the park. BGW has Clydesdales, a couple of wolves, a few birds, and the More Pets Shenanigans show. The parks aren't even in the same universe as far as the animal exhibts go.

This really can't be stressed enough. It's absolutely what sets the park apart (though I do prefer their coaster lineup too). Both Busch Gardens parks are excellent though.

Thanks. What is the theming and landscaping like at BGT? Is it quite plain?

Oh it is anything but plain. It is a very well themed park - just completely different than BGW. It is very flat (Florida ) and has an African / tropical theme. It is beautifully done.

BGW is very hilly and European - also spectacularly done.

I personally preferred BGW. BGT was excellent, but I prefer BGW's lineup (AC is my favorite B&M hyper and Alpie's my favorite invert, while I found Montu and Kumba a touch overrated), much preferred BGW's theming and landscaping, and also found they had the better food service.

Either way, both parks are among my favorite out of the 20+ parks I've been to.

I'll play along with the comparisons. FYI, I had no particular motivation to prefer BGT, and I did visit BGW first.

Rides: BGT

Setting: BGW

Atmosphere: BGT

Favorite park: BGT

Cheetah Hunt >>>>> Verbolten

Montu >>> Alpengeist

SheiKra = Griffon

Apollo's Chariot >>>> Kumba

Scorpion >> Loch Ness Monster

I cant comment on the cheetah hunt/verbolten debate but i will say that overall both parks are great. I prefered BGW because of the location and the theme but if i were to go purely off coaster collection, itd probably be a draw. Here's here I broke my comparisons down.

Alpengeist > montu

Apollo's charriot < kumba (all time fave b&m)

Griffon > sheikra

Dont forget bGW also has dark kastle and escape from pompeii!

I'm personally more partial to the Williamsburg park than the Tampa park.

Coaster-wise, here's my ranking: Montu, Apollo's Chariot, Alpengeist, Verbolten, Cheetah Hunt, Kumba, Sheikra, Griffon, Loch Ness Monster, Wild Maus, Scorpion, Gwazi in that order. I'll give Tampa the edge for having a solid number of good coasters.

Theming-wise, Williamsburg wins out. It's got a better setting and the theming is beautiful.

Ride-wise, Williamsburg again. Even if Mach Tower and Europe in the Air are duds, Tampa's ride collection is seriously lacking. Plus the bumper cars are horrible.

The safari and all the animal exhibits are a huge plus for Tampa. There are so many cool exhibits, not to mention the train/skyride are enhanced when rolling through the safari as opposed to Williamsburg's train going through mostly forest. I'll rank Williamsburg's skyride on par with Tampa's though. Going over the river and through the coasters is breathtaking.

Has anyone heard any new updates on Falcons Fury? I hope Intamin can resolve the issues soon.

BTW- my two cents on which is better BGT or BGW. Clearly BGT, it's just an hour away from Disney and Universal.

If Kumba is not your #1 coaster, you are doing something wrong. Therefore, BGT WINS!

This. As good as Montu and Alpengeist are... Kumba is miles ahead of every other coaster at either Busch Gardens park. It's world class.

If Kumba is not your #1 coaster, you are doing something wrong. Therefore, BGT WINS!

This. As good as Montu and Alpengeist are... Kumba is miles ahead of every other coaster at either Busch Gardens park. It's world class.

I haven't ridden Kumba but as I've heard it's on the same level as Dragon Khan, therefore I agree

I haven't ridden Kumba but as I've heard it's on the same level as Dragon Khan, therefore I agree

I have ridden both DK and Kumba. While Dragon Khan might be a bit more intense the its Floridian cousin, Kumba is better landscaped and has a good mix of helices and inversions.

^The landscaping on DK seems to have improved now with shambala next to it but I assumed they would be similar in intensity as it was built just 2 years after kumba. That's a ride I really want to try as DK is my no 1 coaster.

BTW- my two cents on which is better BGT or BGW. Clearly BGT, it's just an hour away from Disney and Universal.

I'll take those two over Kings Dominion and Six Flags America any day.

Ditto!

You can't really compare Kumba and Apollo's Chariot. They are two completely different ride experiences.