TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Thanks. What is the theming and landscaping like at BGT? Is it quite plain?

Oh it is anything but plain. It is a very well themed park - just completely different than BGW. It is very flat (Florida ) and has an African / tropical theme. It is beautifully done.

BGW is very hilly and European - also spectacularly done.

I personally preferred BGW. BGT was excellent, but I prefer BGW's lineup (AC is my favorite B&M hyper and Alpie's my favorite invert, while I found Montu and Kumba a touch overrated), much preferred BGW's theming and landscaping, and also found they had the better food service.

Either way, both parks are among my favorite out of the 20+ parks I've been to.

I'll play along with the comparisons. FYI, I had no particular motivation to prefer BGT, and I did visit BGW first.

Rides: BGT

Setting: BGW

Atmosphere: BGT

Favorite park: BGT

Cheetah Hunt >>>>> Verbolten

Montu >>> Alpengeist

SheiKra = Griffon

Apollo's Chariot >>>> Kumba

Scorpion >> Loch Ness Monster

I cant comment on the cheetah hunt/verbolten debate but i will say that overall both parks are great. I prefered BGW because of the location and the theme but if i were to go purely off coaster collection, itd probably be a draw. Here's here I broke my comparisons down.

Alpengeist > montu

Apollo's charriot < kumba (all time fave b&m)

Griffon > sheikra

Dont forget bGW also has dark kastle and escape from pompeii!

I'm personally more partial to the Williamsburg park than the Tampa park.

Coaster-wise, here's my ranking: Montu, Apollo's Chariot, Alpengeist, Verbolten, Cheetah Hunt, Kumba, Sheikra, Griffon, Loch Ness Monster, Wild Maus, Scorpion, Gwazi in that order. I'll give Tampa the edge for having a solid number of good coasters.

Theming-wise, Williamsburg wins out. It's got a better setting and the theming is beautiful.

Ride-wise, Williamsburg again. Even if Mach Tower and Europe in the Air are duds, Tampa's ride collection is seriously lacking. Plus the bumper cars are horrible.

The safari and all the animal exhibits are a huge plus for Tampa. There are so many cool exhibits, not to mention the train/skyride are enhanced when rolling through the safari as opposed to Williamsburg's train going through mostly forest. I'll rank Williamsburg's skyride on par with Tampa's though. Going over the river and through the coasters is breathtaking.

Has anyone heard any new updates on Falcons Fury? I hope Intamin can resolve the issues soon.

BTW- my two cents on which is better BGT or BGW. Clearly BGT, it's just an hour away from Disney and Universal.

If Kumba is not your #1 coaster, you are doing something wrong. Therefore, BGT WINS!

This. As good as Montu and Alpengeist are... Kumba is miles ahead of every other coaster at either Busch Gardens park. It's world class.

If Kumba is not your #1 coaster, you are doing something wrong. Therefore, BGT WINS!

This. As good as Montu and Alpengeist are... Kumba is miles ahead of every other coaster at either Busch Gardens park. It's world class.

I haven't ridden Kumba but as I've heard it's on the same level as Dragon Khan, therefore I agree

I haven't ridden Kumba but as I've heard it's on the same level as Dragon Khan, therefore I agree

I have ridden both DK and Kumba. While Dragon Khan might be a bit more intense the its Floridian cousin, Kumba is better landscaped and has a good mix of helices and inversions.

^The landscaping on DK seems to have improved now with shambala next to it but I assumed they would be similar in intensity as it was built just 2 years after kumba. That's a ride I really want to try as DK is my no 1 coaster.

Ditto!

You can't really compare Kumba and Apollo's Chariot. They are two completely different ride experiences.

I prefer my own park which is the Tampa one, but one thing I don't understand is why everyone rates Kumba so high. I mean it's pretty good, but Hulk,Kraken, and even Sheikra blow it out of the water. Yes, I would take Apollo's Chariot easily over Kumba even though I prefer Nitro.

While I am somewhat excited about Falcon's Fury I do think its bark will be worse than its bite and it might even be a letdown. I mean why is it that Drop Zone at Kings Island has a higher top speed even though it is a bit shorter? Probably because Falcon will have less drop time and will break higher up. What a shame.

People like Kumba because of it's relentless intensity. All of the other coasters you mentioned (except Hulk I guess) are not very forceful rides. They're smooth, comfortable and have interesting layouts but they lack the fast transitions and high g forces that Kumba has.

Really I guess it comes down to personal taste. If you want a ride that's flowing, smooth and has some cool extras like Sheikra's splash down and holding brake, or if you prefer hypercoasters over looping coasters than Kumba won't be your cup of tea... but if you like G forces and ripping through element after element to the point where you're completely disoriented, then Kumba (specifically in the back row) is miles ahead of those other coasters.

I prefer my own park which is the Tampa one, but one thing I don't understand is why everyone rates Kumba so high. I mean it's pretty good, but Hulk,Kraken, and even Sheikra blow it out of the water. Yes, I would take Apollo's Chariot easily over Kumba even though I prefer Nitro.

While I am somewhat excited about Falcon's Fury I do think its bark will be worse than its bite and it might even be a letdown. I mean why is it that Drop Zone at Kings Island has a higher top speed even though it is a bit shorter? Probably because Falcon will have less drop time and will break higher up. What a shame.

Just because a ride is shorter or isn't as fast does not mean that it is an inferior ride. The Larson ARM towers are better than most other towers on the market, including towers twice as tall. As for Kumba, if you have ridden it, then you understand why it is so amazing. Sheikra is great, but not nearly as intense or crazy. All of the rides you listed are good, but not great. If you like those rides over Kumba, then you probably also think that Top Thrill Dragster is better than Maverick....

It is definitely a matter of taste. I prefer the relentless speed and quick transitions of Kumba over the others you mentioned (although I think they are all pretty great as well )

I also think Falcon's Fury might suprise you. I think the height and the tilt forward are going to be freaking awesome - but time will certainly tell. I know I will be there for passholder previews, whenever that happens though.

D.

Count me on the boat that felt kinda underwhelmed by Kumba. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the ride, but I didn't find it all that relentless or intense at all. Compared to Hersheypark's Intamin trio, it's practically a kiddie ride. I found Montu and Cheetah Hunt more forceful - Montu with it's incredible batwing and excellent pacing, Cheetah with it's fun pops of airtime and twisty Rhino Rally segment.

Compared to Hersheypark's Intamin trio, it's practically a kiddie ride.

In terms of intensity, it might not be that same as Skyrush or storm runner but I assume (as I haven't been on it) that it's more forceful than Fahrenheit, which is really fun, just not very intense. But if you take into account things like length, then it might also beat storm runner (even though that's an awesome ride).