TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 348 - Iron Gwazi POV!

I want to seriously ask though, having not ridden Gwazi, is it actually THAT rough? Like compared to Rattler (old version), Mean Streak, Ghostrider? Even if it is comparable to those coasters, I think it would be a mistake to remove Gwazi. Wood coasters have good and bad years, I mean, Mean Streak was actually running REALLY good 2012. I would certainly hesitate to remove a 1999 GCI.

These are always questionable comparisons. Saying Mean Streak was running REALLY good last year is like saying, "Hey, there were only two suicide bombings in Iraq yesterday."

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap you nerds are a tough crowd.  It looks like a coaster that will make me hoot and holler the entire time I'm on it while simultaneously trying to throw my fat ass as far from the train as pos

It means that you can look forward to a fun-filled day riding Kumba, Montu, Cheetah Hunt and Sheikra and while you're in line for one of those you might be able to watch an Iron Gwazi POV on your phon

I actually agree with many of you talking about how the RMC's are all very similar.  And that's fine. There's nothing wrong with building a ton of very similar kick ass rides when most people who ride

Posted Images

Up to very recent, I would go to the four corners of the Earth to defend Gwazi... having rode last week (4/15) I actually came home SO incredibly flustered with my mindset... When my partner (who ALSO loves Gwazi) came home from work (I went to the park alone) I blurted out "I hope BGT tears Gwazi the F down!"... It was even more uncomfortable than its final year w/the PTC trains!...He actually couldn't believe his ears... I was so upset w/the condition of the coaster, I'm not sure I'll ride it again! We named our CAT Gwazi for crying out loud! I only wish the park would have kept Tiger (the MUCH more comfortable track IMO) open instead of the overly moody Lion... it would be a dream if RMC came in for an over haul, but that is very wishful thinking... I feel like I've turned my back on an old friend with my recent "betrayal" of Gwazi... but I hate the state the coaster is currently in!...

I also think they should have kept Tiger open instead of Lion. I preferred Tiger with both types of trains.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to BGT in June for one day of our honeymoon and I have two questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

-How are the crowds mid June, and would the Quick Que be worth the price for a one day trip?

-Do the All-You-Can-Eat wrist bands still get you half-off beer all day?

I always recommend waiting until you're in the park to decide about Quick Queue, but generally, crowds are steady, but not packed.

There's a deal online right now for $85 that includes park tickets and all day dining. I don't know what exactly is behind all that, but it sounds like a good steal. Anyone else know more?

Heading to BGT in June for one day of our honeymoon and I have two questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

-How are the crowds mid June, and would the Quick Que be worth the price for a one day trip?

-Do the All-You-Can-Eat wrist bands still get you half-off beer all day?

Read my post about the All Day Dining, here:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53855&start=4070

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know about Gwazi's current and future status? I just went to BGT yesterday and saw that a temporary bridge was put In over the Tiger side's track in the station. It was for riders that had "reserved" seats in the middle few rows (what's that about?). The entire track is also already pretty rusty; I doubt it will be running any time this season.

052413155532.thumb.jpg.ae0b3adb21b4b35b5851f496d563f136.jpg

Guest entry way built over Tiger's track.

^Rumor is it's closed for good and the whole ride may be gone within a couple of years.

Yeah, I definitely started suspecting that. Even with the Millennium Flyers the ride still is not running well (it was my first time since 2010). I guess the damage has already been done by more than a decade of heavy wear and tear.

That bridge isn't temporary. It's their permanent quick queue entrance for Gwazi Lion. It seems they have abandoned Gwazi Tiger completely. I did hear a rumor that Gwazi will stay open until the end of the summer season, so get your rough rides in quickly!

Also, the rumors I hear from around the park and creative design are great. A replacement is being considered, but don't expect a new addition for the area for a few years.

^Rumor is it's closed for good and the whole ride may be gone within a couple of years.

Yeah, I definitely started suspecting that. Even with the Millennium Flyers the ride still is not running well (it was my first time since 2010). I guess the damage has already been done by more than a decade of heavy wear and tear.

When I first rode it with the old trains, I thought it was OK. It actually seemed worse with the Flyers.

Anyone know about Gwazi's current and future status? I just went to BGT yesterday and saw that a temporary bridge was put In over the Tiger side's track in the station. It was for riders that had "reserved" seats in the middle few rows (what's that about?). The entire track is also already pretty rusty; I doubt it will be running any time this season.

I think this proves that Tiger side Gwazi is going to be removed.

When I rode Gwazi last month, I thought it wasn't a bad ride at all, even if I was sitting alone in the front of the train. I thought it was smoother than retracked Georgia Cyclone. (Yes, you can tell I don't ride coasters often.)

I think this proves that Tiger side Gwazi is going to be removed.

I don't think it proves anything yet, but if one side were to be removed, it is likely that both sides would be removed.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay announced today that after this Sunday, Sandstorm will be retired to make way for a new attraction to be announced soon.

On June 3, Busch Gardens Tampa will bid farewell to a ride that has entertained guests for more than three decades, as the park prepares to drop big news for what lies ahead.

This Sunday, June 2 will be the last day Busch Gardens Tampa guests will be able to ride the Sandstorm. Located in the Timbuktu area of the park, the Sandstorm opened in December 1979. Following the Sandstorm’s departure, Busch Gardens Tampa will announce future plans for Timbuktu.