TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I think those of us that have been following the ride closely understand where the launches are and am sure none of us are "looking for things to complain about." Prior to this past week, we only had the animation to gauge the ride experience. Now that the ride is testing, we can get a more grounded real world expectation from the ride, and on some levels, to some of us, it's disappointing.

I believe the vast majority of us are thrilled to see a new coaster in Florida and think it's a great addition to the park. With that said, it's also an Intamin, which historically makes world class thrill machines and believe that's where the disappointment stems from. It's going to be a great ride, but not at the same level as I305, Maverick, or El Toro.

I think those of us that have been following the ride closely understand where the launches are and am sure none of us are "looking for things to complain about." Prior to this past week, we only had the animation to gauge the ride experience. Now that the ride is testing, we can get a more grounded real world expectation from the ride, and on some levels, to some of us, it's disappointing.

I believe the vast majority of us are thrilled to see a new coaster in Florida and think it's a great addition to the park. With that said, it's also an Intamin, which historically makes world class thrill machines and believe that's where the disappointment stems from. It's going to be a great ride, but not at the same level as I305, Maverick, or El Toro.

I can only feel this comment is slightly directed to me because of my comment where the launches are. I just asked everyone to keep in mind that it's not the end of the world. The two launches before and after the lower launch would possibly not have that big of a effect on the ride. The more and more I think about this, the more I think it doesn't matter. I also agree with you about being thrilled for a new coaster, however, we still don't know how intense or how less intense this coaster will be. This is all purely based on assumption of what we have seen so far. Maybe we should wait to pass judgment if Busch has a winner or not until we actually ride it. For me at least, It's so much more then just the coaster that makes the experience.

My post wasn't directed at anyone specifically, just a summary of my thoughts after reading the last couple of pages.

I understand you need to ride a coaster before making a definitive conclusion, but you can certainly make assumptions from videos. Case in point is El Toro. Did anyone think the ride wouldn't deliver after watching the testing videos of the trains cresting those first two hills, or being thrown down the first drop?

The coaster in my opinion is going to be exceptionally themed, a fun ride, and a perfect family coaster for the park.

Does anyone know if the actual cheetahs have begun testing?

According to Wikipedia...

The cheetah achieves by far the fastest land speed of any living animal — between 112 and 120 km/h (70 and 75 mph) in short bursts covering distances up to 500 m (1,600 ft), and has the ability to accelerate from 0 to over 100 km/h (62 mph) in three seconds.

If they don't match this I'm gonna be pissed.

My post wasn't directed at anyone specifically, just a summary of my thoughts after reading the last couple of pages.

I understand you need to ride a coaster before making a definitive conclusion, but you can certainly make assumptions from videos. Case in point is El Toro. Did anyone think the ride wouldn't deliver after watching the testing videos of the trains cresting those first two hills, or being thrown down the first drop?

The coaster in my opinion is going to be exceptionally themed, a fun ride, and a perfect family coaster for the park.

I also understand you. I do want to point out your point though. If you are straight thinking, and go base on appearances, yes, you can assume that el toro would be a amazing coaster. No doubts about that. However, there is such thing as people who think "out of the box" or, people who think differently. I personally would think more about how rough it will ride, how comfortable, and others factors that can only be figured out by riding, which would in turn shape my opinion on the coaster. So to anwser your question, Yes, I do think that some people who saw El Toro testing were not immediately convinced it would be a amazing coaster. Nor, in fact, is everyone a fan of El Toro. However, I see your point, and I totally understand. Yes, I agree you can make assumptions. It's just that your example didn't support it.

I agree with you on the most part, You're last statement is spot on with how I think the coaster will be like. I just like taking the counterpoint, most of the time, and then defending other's views that are possible. I try to take all sides in the most effective way. So, please don't think I don't agree with you and I'm telling you your wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Side note, I'll be going to the park hopefully this weekend, hopefully the SkyRide will be open by then. (It's opening was delayed.)

As goes with judging music before it's released, the same goes for this ride. You can't judge how great the ride is until you actually RIDE it.. And since none of you have, I don't understand how you can already be saying exactly how it's going to ride.

As goes with judging music before it's released, the same goes for this ride. You can't judge how great the ride is until you actually RIDE it.. And since none of you have, I don't understand how you can already be saying exactly how it's going to ride.

This is just the same old routine around here. It happens for every new ride POV or testing video that gets released. Some of our posters take WAY too much stock in these videos.

Am I the only one that realizes that it's still not launching at full speed yet?

Yes, congratulations.

My only point is with a top speed of 60 the ride isn't fast. I don't think it has to be to be fun but just to state the obvious 60 MPH is not very fast. It could feel fast though.

I am still curious about what Mark rose said during the hardhat tour reguarding the faster launch speeds.

The cheetah achieves by far the fastest land speed of any living animal — between 112 and 120 km/h (70 and 75 mph) in short bursts covering distances up to 500 m (1,600 ft), and has the ability to accelerate from 0 to over 100 km/h (62 mph) in three seconds.

From the looks of the ride, I can see the coaster going faster. How the ride is going to be, I have no idea as I'm always wrong when I guess how a ride is going to be, even if one was open for years and it's my first time on it.

You might be one of the few that could be unhappy about the fact. I don't care for the ride's speed, it's really unique since it's not somewhere 300-400 ft. off the ground doing 12 inversions at a face melting 150mph. Its bewildering lions at a seemingly constant ground-hugging height!

I would have posted these sooner, but my laptop crashed over the weekend and needed a new hard drive.

Was at Busch Gardens on Saturday (4/23) and got some shots of Cheetah Hunt testing:

100_2090.JPG.f35b90640c2ee04a6fda6fbb2bae4575.JPG

100_2101.JPG.7b6d9411f746231e09a25ccc968cdf59.JPG

100_2102.JPG.e5b5479a9d69580e1efda2f521c59807.JPG

100_2104.JPG.9e7cd449ce6cd624ecb5b900608aa1c4.JPG

100_2100.JPG.b04177a2bff3efe233db663ae8c7138b.JPG

100_2098.JPG.498824cdf119c8b0dab53d87db0bb9e8.JPG

100_2105.JPG.3fe946c7f8bb3f801ef41cb5668c94ce.JPG

Also, saw the carousel in Timbuktu has been reassembled after a lengthly refurb. It wasn't open to guests yet and I saw maintenance working on it when I happened by.

100_2048.JPG.56534782b5f04b29c3fc392b51c1b8bd.JPG

100_2050.JPG.c27e9982cd90b370a24be801d3b1acb9.JPG

Jack Hanna was at the park for Earth Day and brought along a bunch of critters.

100_2115.JPG.c51616b1f693e0ea432317d0abc10304.JPG

100_2129.JPG.4165c5a12a6fb94ee3868ad1197a162c.JPG

100_2137.JPG.f25656e2d79f040f6ecc0667e603b465.JPG

100_2155.JPG.856df0f80aa17eb7a1d449c0161567d9.JPG

This is NOT Kasi, the new cheetah cub at the park. Kasi is much younger/smaller.

Oh! More Cheetah Hunt merchandise! They got at least 9 different shirt designs for this coaster alone!

100_2238.JPG.190aa64c2ee04ea699e159c12e098cd5.JPG

100_2239.JPG.e3c0a1f70e47bf888b3308dfbb80b925.JPG

100_2240.JPG.2ae2e0701f72dea48726c7f6e9971f20.JPG

100_2241.JPG.262bce133932709a7d65980e642ebb48.JPG

And I think this shirt sums up the lot of us here on TPR:

100_2168.JPG.69146d466d68d3ebb437e005a735df02.JPG