TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I am totally counting down the days for this puppy to open. I'll be back at the park on the 12th. Looking forward to see the progress that's gone on over the last couple weeks.

Oh and Montu reopened this past weekend after being down for 2-3 weeks for annual maintenance.

I am totally counting down the days for this puppy to open. I'll be back at the park on the 12th. Looking forward to see the progress that's gone on over the last couple weeks.

Post more of your awesome photos!

First I`d like to say that I really love this project...nearly everything about it.

But maybe It`s wrong to expect the members here not to bitch about those restraints everytime they pop up again on such a promising coaster...when there are companies like Mack and Maurer who clearly showed that you just don`t need OTSR`s on Rides like this (with probably I305 being the exception).

For me, this has nothing to do with negativity but honesty and a real interest in the subject of building (good/outstanding) Rollercoasters...just my two cents.

Greeds...GeorgeT

^ That's still no reason to bitch about it. Different companies have different styles of trains for their rides. Mack and Maurer have a different style of train than Intamin, so naturally, they don't have to use any OSTRs if they feel their style of lapbar is completely safe for a layout that utilizes an inversion or more

But either way, people will complain about the small things. Even when the park officials say it's going to be made of some soft material that actually won't hurt in the case of headbanging (which looks quite unlikely for Cheetah Hunt).

I hate how people have to complain about these restraints... Maybe I haven't been on enough Intamin coasters with the restraints and am too tall to be affected by them, but I've never had a problem with them. They were pretty comfortable when I rode Maverick.

I had a lot of fun when I visited BGT on Valentines Day! The park has certainly improved since the last time I was there. Gwazi's new trains are great, it's so much smoother now! I wish I would've been able to ride Lion that day, though, it was closed. Overall, the rides and animals are still great, and I can't wait for Cheetah Hunt to open!

First I`d like to say that I really love this project...nearly everything about it.

But maybe It`s wrong to expect the members here not to bitch about those restraints everytime they pop up again on such a promising coaster...when there are companies like Mack and Maurer who clearly showed that you just don`t need OTSR`s on Rides like this (with probably I305 being the exception).

For me, this has nothing to do with negativity but honesty and a real interest in the subject of building (good/outstanding) Rollercoasters...just my two cents.

Greeds...GeorgeT

If I was Intamin, I would also make OTSR's mandatory in the Fat, Sue Happy US! Let's be honest, it's probably less insurance costs for the park too!

Just deal with it, they're not freaking bad. If you want something to complain about I'm sure you can find something better!

Remember the ride's name implies killing Cheetah's!

If you want something to complain about I'm sure you can find something better!

"Well...I`ll do my very best !"

(Besides...It`s not ME bitching about it...I just want people to stop bitching about those who`re bitching about those restraints...it`s easy as that... or, at least, that`s what I want you to believe... )

I wasn't sure about this ride until now that I've seen all the recent pics of it almost complete... it looks like so much fun. Looks like I'm going to have to plan a stop at BGT before or after the Royal Caribbean cruise Robb and Elissa's TR convinced me I have to do!

I didn't mind those restraints - I experienced them for the first time this past summer (at SFGAdv and Hershey) and was wondering how they'd be after reading everyone's take of them on here. I was totally fine and I'm short enough where I'm definitely in the head-banging range. Maybe because of the tight space in the trenches, and some of the quick transitions, they opted for these restraints to contain the riders more? Just a thought, don't know if that would really be the case... Regardless, I'm completely impressed with this ride!

Love the trains, another example of how much detail BGT puts into their projects. This coaster is going to be a complete experience. It is a beautiful work of art. Hopefully in a few years when I'm done with college and have some extra cash I can take a trip to BGT. Until then, I will roam TPR and dream.

From Screamscape:

2011 - Cheetah Hunt - (3/2/11) The big rumor coming in from several contacts and sources over the past 24 hours is that a couple of big issues have come up with Cheetah Hunt. First of all, several people are saying that the work in “Trench 2” has hit a snag as the digging down there may be having a problem with water seeping into the trench that has to be addressed. (It’s hard to dig too deep in Florida before you hit the water table you know…)

The second and larger issue of note has to do with that “leap” over the Skyride. The big rumor going around this week is that a serious miscalculation was made here and that there is going to be clearance issues between Cheetah Hunt and the SkyRide. I attempted to get a statement about this rumor from Busch Gardens Tampa today, but as of this writing, they have not gotten back in touch with me with a comment.

Having said that, one has to wonder where the error was made. Did the surveyors make the mistake long before the construction started, or did an error come from Stengle’s layout calculations, the track fabricators or even Intamin itself? We can’t just point the finger at Intamin here and say, “Look, another Maverick” as there really are simply too many piece of the puzzle right now to know where the fault came from.

In the end, it sounds like either the coaster is going to have to be altered or the SkyRide itself. Don’t think that it would be simply to try and “shorten” the SkyRide towers however, as there is a lot more involved than that. They would have to get a new shorter cable for the ride, and then likely have to adjust the whole counter-weight system that maintains the tension on the cable at all times. If they used the same old counter-weight, it would likely put too much tension on the cable and could damage or even snap it.

Of course manufacturing new track for a higher jump over the SkyRide may not be a viable solution either if the coaster’s layout does not allow for the train to have enough velocity to achieve the higher jump at that point in the ride. In this case, they could be forced to return to the original idea, as seen in the animation, where the track simply goes under the SkyRide once again.

In the end, I’m really hoping the rumors are wrong here and that we’ll see Cheetah Hunt open as promised for Memorial Day Weekend. More as I find out…

I'm seriously doubting the rumor about the SkyRide issue. There's no way they're getting their elevations wrong on a project of this caliber. This smacks of enthusiasts stirring up trouble from what they see in photos.

As far as the water table issue, that's also somewhat doubtful as any project requiring trenches takes account of the water table before the trench is dug. If they are having a problem with drainage I'm sure that won't be too hard to remedy.

I don't understand how there could be a clearance issue above the Sky Ride. It doesn't seem like it would have to clear the Sky Ride by a whole lot to make it over safely. As far as the water table goes, there are buildings all over Florida (and probably in the park) that have foundations that go MUCH deeper than one of those trenches, so I'm sure that won't be a big issue.

I like how the 'rumor' doesn't mention the cold front that passed through yesterday dropping a bunch of rain...

Oh my gosh, this man's a genius. Even though the water table in Florida is seriously low, Montu has trenches which are (from the look of things) deeper than these on Cheetah Hunt. They should have no trouble draining the water and making the trench walls water resistant. As for the clearance, yes, people and computers can mess up with either the calculations or the cutting of the steel, but we wouldn't know if there truly is a mistake until they put up the track and it's 5 feet off........I'm looking at you Arrow.....

There may be more water in that trench than they were expecting but they will get it figured out, if that is the case. The Skyride section may just be on hold because it was always intended to be the last piece. By the time we get to ride it will be awesome. If there were a delay of some kind I wouldn't be surprised at all but it will be worth the wait.

This stinks of the same "issue/rumor" regarding the Texas Giant rehab that was started by enthusiasts. If engineers and architects were idiots, how would the very houses we live in still stand, let alone a coaster be built?

People make mistakes. Not saying anyone did in this case (or with the New Texas Giant), but if there was a miscalculation, we shouldn't be shocked. It's just a part of the process, right?

Edit: Glad to see that settled.