TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I don't get people complaining about a name. How can you hate a name? What the devil does a name have to do with a coaster. I'm with Robb, it's nowhere near as bad as Drop Tower, or Flight Deck, or Ride of Steel Sans Superman (What the hell, Darien Lake?)

tsk tsk tsk, so much nitpicking...this is why I never became an ACEr, despite the fact that I tend to eat like one.

While I feel sort of bad for Busch for taking so much heat for the name, it is a really really bad name.

No it's not really really bad. Not at all. It may not be as creative as names we've seen out of Busch in the past, but saying it's really really bad is not accurate. "Drop Tower" is a really really bad name. "Flight Deck" is a really really bad name. Cheetah Hunt is not really really bad, it's just not what we were expecting and a bit disappointing. But it's not really really bad. Get real.

Flight deck = Drop Tower = Cheetah Hunt. For real, you will never be able to sway my opinion that this is a really really bad name. Years of have cool names for their big roller coasters and they just through away a cool tradition of amazing names. Some of you can say "it is just a name," but companies put millions of dollars into names and logos, the name does matter. BGT is my home park, and the ride is still going to be amazing, but to argue that this whole naming thing is not a huge blunder, is ridiculous, the outcry on facebook alone says so.

It was a fake name created by the Busch Gardens creative team/marketing/whatever name they have (cause I'm not sure!)

also gave them a head fake by trademarking the made-up word Cheetaka last winter, then picking another name — Cheetah Hunt — for the attraction.

Busch passed over Cheetaka as too hard to say and not descriptive of the ride: a coaster mimicking the movement of a galloping Cheetah chasing its prey.

www.tampabay.com/news/business/tourism/busch-gardens-reveals-details-about-its-new-cheetah-hunt-roller-coaster/1127882

^A lot of people on their facebook page are really trying to argue something, so I dunno....

^^^Yeah, obviously because all of those people of facebook are so smart and really great at explaining their negative criticism.

It's not a 'huge blunder' as you state!!! They're not going to sell less merchandise because of the name, they're not going to have people not ride it because of the name. They didn't put MILLIONS of dollars into the name...a couple thousand at the most for graphic art and design. And just like when we did the Club TPR Logo I'm sure they had at least five alternates ready to go for any reason.

Yes the name sucks, but you're really wrong.

So here is my 4 cents on this totally wicked attraction:

1. Inatamin's OTSR's really don't bother me all that much, so I could care less

2. Cheetah Hunt, it's a name, not sure it's a cool coaster name, but that's what it's called and it describes what the ride is all about as do several coaster names like "dueling dragons" or "Mean Streak", so I'm fine with it.

3. three launched sections; needs no commentary, speaks loudly for itself

4. If they would've named it prowler, not only would the real prowler had come down to kick it's ass, it woulda brought an intamin cable to do it with

Edited by chadster

Flight deck = Drop Tower = Cheetah Hunt. For real, you will never be able to sway my opinion that this is a really really bad name..

That's fine. Don't be a douche on how you present your opinion. You were harsh and forgot to say "I think..."

^^^Yeah, obviously because all of those people of facebook are so smart and really great at explaining their negative criticism.

It's not a 'huge blunder' as you state!!! They're not going to sell less merchandise because of the name, they're not going to have people not ride it because of the name. They didn't put MILLIONS of dollars into the name...a couple thousand at the most for graphic art and design. And just like when we did the Club TPR Logo I'm sure they had at least five alternates ready to go for any reason.

Dear, don't waste your time. The guy is clueless.

Edited by robbalvey

this will be a awesome addition to the park itself, but I agree with the whole name thing

Try living with Kennywood's new coaster by the name of Sky Rocket! - sounds like something from the 60s, and there wasn't even a contest to name it! Great coaster though.

http://www.kennywood.com/attractions/NEWfor2010.php

and it could it in a lot of people's back yards!

This just gives me all new reason to go to Florida next year! I wasn't really planning on visiting Florida again for a couple of years after the January trip this year, but this announcement definitely has gotten my juices flowing to plan another trip once this attraction is open.

To be honest, one of the huge positive's from our January visit to Busch (that wasn't named Montu) was the animal encounter with the tigers and orangutans. I had not visited since they opened these exhibits and we must have spent at least two hours (between the two days we were there) just watching the animals. I am looking very forward to seeing this new animal exhibit!

And of course, Cheetah Hunt just adds another entire new dimension of awesomeness to an already great coaster line-up. We all knew it was going to be kick-ass when they mentioned Intamin and multiple launch and this looks to deliver some great thrills!

Opening in spring, perhaps we'll go a little later so I can finally hit up the water park as well. We already know there is a campground nearby as well as a reasonably priced nice golf course! YAY!

Undoubtedly, a really great job by the Busch marketing group...kudo's to them on this announcement as well as the one at BGE!

Flight deck = Drop Tower = Cheetah Hunt. For real, you will never be able to sway my opinion that this is a really really bad name..

That's fine. Don't be a douche on how you present your opinion. You were harsh and forgot to say "I think..."

Dear, don't waste your time. The guy is clueless.

Whoa dude you are calling me a douche? When was I a douche? That is crazy you attack your members like that. You also say I am clueless? Really? I am just saying what other people are saying. I never said they spent a million dollars on anything, and if you notice there isn't a logo, or even any graphics on the site that mention Cheetah Hunt. If you cannot see that this was a last second change, you are a clueless douche.

If Sky rocket's a great coaster, then who gives a rat's behind what the name is? I'm just glad that Kennywood, one of my all time favorite parks, has a new coaster that reportedly kicks a ton of butt. That's all I care about. I don't give a damn about what it's called. If I don't like it, I have so much imagination that I can rename it whatever I'd like in my head. The point is, I'm just glad that such an awesome coaster even exists, especially in Kennywood

Sky Rocket is a great example of a new coaster with a mediocre name that's still a fantastic ride. I'm on the fence with Cheetah Hunt based solely on the fact that the pacing just seems all whacked out with the straight, flat sections; but I'm never one to judge a ride before I actually ride it, so here's to waiting until the spring!

Well I figured I would give my opinion on the ride...

1) "TWISTIES!"

2) 3 Launches

3) Trenches

4) Color and theme

5) Airtime hill right after a launch

6) INTAMIN

7) Barrel Roll

Dislikes (the only time you will hear me say this):

1) Hard Intamin Restraints

2) For the trillionth time today, the name... yuck!

3) After the airtime hill the ride seems very "blah" while going to the brakes, another airtime hill would have been nice

Overall, this announcement reminds me a lot of August 20th 2009 when Intimidator 305 was announced. People complained about the name and restraints WAY TOO MUCH!!! I mean I honestly don't like the name Cheetah Hunt or the restraints the ride will have, but overall this ride should be awesome! Hopefully the ride will be like 305 and blow away most peoples expectations, the name will grow on people, and they possibly might change it to soft straps like 305 has!

I really want to make a trip to BGT and SeaWorld Orlando to try out Manta and Cheetah Hunt in 2012!

Edited by Intimidator305

Whoa dude you are calling me a douche? When was I a douche? That is crazy you attack your members like that. You also say I am clueless? Really? I am just saying what other people are saying. I never said they spent a million dollars on anything, and if you notice there isn't a logo, or even any graphics on the site that mention Cheetah Hunt. If you cannot see that this was a last second change, you are a clueless douche.

Just so you know before you get banned...you are being a douche...all you've done is come into this thread, take a holier than thou attitude and play the 'I know something you don't know card'. You're not a valued member of the site and you don't have anything exciting to add other than spewing crap about your new local ride.

Plenty of people have had other opinions in this thread, for example check out Erik's view on restraints that him and Robb talked about. But they were both mature adults about it.

Was I the only person saying it like Cheet a ka instead of Chee ta ka.

I think the name is bad enough that changing it could be considered. Maybe not. I am pleasantly surprised about the 130 foot drop, I was thinking maybe 100 feet. I was having a hard time believing the lap bar thing, going into the tower would have been pretty knarly.

Cheetah hunt looks to have significant airtime which we could use more of down here.

I think so many of us wanted the lap bar only announcement to be correct because it would have been amazing! It also didn't seem that crazy when the new Eurofighters are having lap bar only as well as rides like Blue Fire at Europa.

Heck this is BGT we're talking about...perhaps in a year or two the ride will get all new trains/restraints! Crazier things have happened!