TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

They may be talking about "over the shoulder lap bars" like I305 has. unfortunately

If you look at the videos and artworks that would make sense.

Please read the thread. This has already been brought up and the answer was quoted from the Facebook chat this morning.

I must be the only one that is slightly disappointed. I mean the theming will be amazing as usual. Busch always gets that right, but I am not all that excited about the coaster. I thought the launch would be at least 70 or more. The name is horrendous. Why would they pick such a bad name for such a big coaster? And I personally think the train looks awful (if that is really how it will look.) I guess we will have to see how this puppy (or cheetah) rides come next year. It definitely will be more of a family coaster.

I actually hope that BGE is NOT like BGT's coaster... I would prefer an iSpeed style coaster BUT! I can tell they are looking for a family audience for these coasters thus the 48" height limit.

I think if BGW's was more like iSpeed that would be a huge mistake. If what they are getting to replace Big Bad Wolf is similar to Cheetah Hunt then they are replacing what used to be a 42" height restriction ride with one that is 48", which is already quite a large difference. But replacing that ride with yet another 52" or 54" height restriction coaster, which is what rides like Maverick, iSpeed, Storm Runner, Fahrenheit are, would be a big mistake to me.

BGW *needs* another coaster that more families can ride together. Remember, they took out the 42" Wild Maus, took out the 42" Big Bad Wolf, and while they did replace the Wild Mouse with the 42" DarKastle, they recently have gotten the 54" Griffon for older kids and the Sesame Street area for toddlers. So they are still down one "inbetween" ride. BGW currently has a need for a major attraction than attracts families.

--Robb

I agree with you Robb that BGW does lack a sense of family coasters. Though this coaster would not be equal to BBW in family accommodation, its still an improvement over the now.

Back to Cheetah Hunt, I'm still trying to imagine a barrel roll with only a lap bar... I hope to get down and ride this thing in a few years...

Wow, that looks great. If that's a "family coaster" then it's going to be the most awesome family coaster ever! Even though I liked the name Cheetaka more, it's not like the people who plan these things sat around and decided they wanted to pick a crappy name. Obviously someone liked it. These lapbar only trains should be interesting as well. And it'll feel out of control hugging the ground like that.

I assume it wouldn't be much different than when Chiller had lap bars? It seemed fine to me...and FUN!

I had completely forgot about Chiller.

Cfc is probably onto something by saying it sounded like a Taco Bell item. The name might have not market tested well.

Cheetah Hunt makes a little more sense if we assume they will be closely tying that name in with Cheetah Run and Chase.

No person with a brain thinks they are talking about hunting cheetahs.. that's just silly.

Lapbars make this thing absolutely awesome.

The coaster will be very 'camera' friendly, so looking forward to some nice shots of it.

Dear Busch Gardens Tampa,

I just watched your Cheetah Hunt POV animation and the resulting torrent of drool that has fallen from my mouth ruined a perfectly good shirt and horrified my co-workers.

Thanks a bunch.

Sincerely,

Robert

What happened to the Cheetaka name !!!!??? =(

... Other wise amazing coaster, can't wait to see what the BGE version will look like !

It was never announced. That was only speculation. BGT has said repeatedly on their facebook page that "you shouldn't trust the rumors".

I guarantee you that half the people will think it's hunting cheetah's and half the people will think it's cheetah's doing the hunting...although this is Florida with liberal gun permit laws so I could see those numbers skewing a bit higher in one direction!

... Other wise amazing coaster, can't wait to see what the BGE version will look like !

Code name - a lot of projects have code names

To echo what Larry is saying, I know for a fact (meaning I was told in person) that the whole Whyte Lightning thing for Carowinds and/or Cedar Point last year was purposely made by operations staff just to throw people off the trail. Parks can (and will) register for false trademarks and domain names because they know people will discover and spread them. Apparently the domain name for Cheetah Hunt wasn't applied for until just a few days ago, but that doesn't mean it isn't what they planned to do all along. They're a lot smarter than some of you guys are giving them credit for.

wow! Just saw the vids and I really can't wait for this. Living on the West Coast makes it a lot harder to make it out there though. I wonder if there's a flight to Abu Dhabi that goes through florida.....

Going back the BGW thing, the trenches on CH remind me a lot of bbw. A toned down version might fit perfectly there (maybe without the roll it would have a lower height requirement?).

Code name - a lot of projects have code names

To echo what Larry is saying, I know for a fact (meaning I was told in person) that the whole Whyte Lightning thing for Carowinds and/or Cedar Point last year was purposely made by operations staff just to throw people off the trail. Parks can (and will) register for false trademarks and domain names because they know people will discover and spread them. Apparently the domain name for Cheetah Hunt wasn't applied for until just a few days ago, but that doesn't mean it isn't what they planned to do all along. They're a lot smarter than some of you guys are giving them credit for.

Exactly. I can tell you that in a corporate world when you are announcing something that will be a major part of your brand, there are probably several names that go through the process of getting approved, trade marked, etc.

I can't tell you how many games I've worked on that had "code names" or "working titles" sometimes even up to the last few weeks of relase.

I heard some people say they think they came up with this name overnight for whatever reason, and I can tell you that's just simply not possible. Do you have any idea the amount of paperwork, legalities, and more that goes into branding something like this?

It cannot be done overnight.

I'll be honest, I'm not thrilled with the name either, but it's not as bland as "Drop Tower" at least and the ride really does look to be totally amazing!

--Robb

Name leaves a bit to be desired, but I really think that this new habitat around the coaster will be one of their best. There is a ton of land they can work with around it, so I'm excited for that as well as the coaster.

wow! Just saw the vids and I really can't wait for this. Living on the West Coast makes it a lot harder to make it out there though. I wonder if there's a flight to Abu Dhabi that goes through florida.....

Going back the BGW thing, the trenches on CH remind me a lot of bbw. A toned down version might fit perfectly there (maybe without the roll it would have a lower height requirement?).

Honestly, I think if you cut out inversions and went with something that hugged the terrain, used the woods to its advantage, it would be more intense than something like Griffon. Low and fast can be pretty wicked...

I'll be honest, I'm not thrilled with the name either, but it's not as bland as "Drop Tower" at least and the ride really does look to be totally amazing!

My thoughts exactly. At the end of the day, it's all about ride quality, not name quality.

And just as an extra, I've been a cheetah fanboy for practically my entire life, and I'm unbelievably stoked to see the new exhibit. Seeing a cheetah running full speed will definitely be a VERY cool experience.

Three launches on one coaster? My No Limits wet dreams are coming true at last!

This sounds like an awesome coaster, and I can't wait to see it in action. It's also nice to see that parks like BGT and companies like Intamin are willing to take the plunge and build coasters that don't necessarily rely on gargantuan hills to attract people. a low and quick coaster can do the job as well, judging from how much the TPR crew seemed to enjoy Rita at Alton Towers.