TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I like everything about this new ride. It is very unique, and definitely will give me a reason to visit in 2011. With the new coaster planned for Williamsburg in 2012, I have even decided to get my first Platinum Pass to the Worlds of Discovery parks. (Which, by the way, the best deal is to buy this pass at Sea World San Antonio, where it is $199 for the same Platinum Pass that is offered in Orlando for $429) Yeah, the name is not the best, but it might grow on me. It is also crazy to me that this ride is actually shorter than Maverick; it is just much more spread out. This is a great addition for Central Florida!!

On the other hand, I do not at all understand the Cheetah Hunt name?!?! For a park that is so dedicated to the celebration and conservation of animals using the word HUNT just sounds so terrible.

Forget the fact that there's already a Cheetah Chase ride at the park and the GP will be stupid, or that the name Cheetah Hunt doesn't exactly live up to the quality of big ride names that we've come to expect from this chain of parks...but using the word HUNT just seems so out of character!!! Kumba, Montu, Sheikra, Kraken, Manta, Loch Ness Monster, Big Bad Wolf, these were all celebrations of real and folkloric animals...to now call something a Hunt?!!?

These were my exact same first thoughts.

Even so, in my opinion, North America's best coaster collection just got even better....and the park as a whole, for that matter.

Edited by BeemerBoy

^^Yeah I see that point and someone else brought up the point that if you're starting in the Crown Colony area of the park a hunt is an appropriate theme! I just thought they would shy away from that word itself.

Like I said though, doesn't matter what the name is, it looks awesome!

I see your point, Elissa, but I was thinking of it as the cheetah being the one doing the hunting, as in the coaster is the cheetah, launching across the grassland, after its prey.

Certainly open for confusion, though.

Yeah, I was thinking more: You're an old-timey English adventurer in the wilds of Africa, hunting cheetahs (from your rocket car, I guess). Your way is nicer, but fits the area less well.

Incidentally, where is the "lapbar" info located? If true, I just became one million times more interested in this ride.

Edited by Electerik

Insane-looking ride.

Is Worlds of Discovery short on good naming ideas? I remember that the name "Cheetaka" swirled around - IMO a better name and more fitting to the others such as Kumba, Montu, and Skeikra.

I absolutely hate the name, too. It just sounds so generic and uninspired, not to mention Elissa's point that "Hunt" adds a negative connotation to it all. And even if it is the cheetah doing the hunting, it just sounds like they came up with it at the last minute. There's no mystique about it and it just doesn't sound as polished as their other coasters' names.

But I have to say, the ride itself looks terrific, three launches is my cup of tea, and I love how close to the ground it all is. The trenches look like they will create some pretty incredible visuals. Definitely looking forward to experiencing this someday.

As has been mentioned, this announcement gets me really excited for whatever is announced for Williamsburg (me being somewhat local). A ride like this could use the terrain around BBW's former area very well. I guess I'll have to keep my eye open for some blueprint leaks over the next year

Maybe BGW's will be called Wolf Hunt.

Edited by redfoot12

And you Williamsburg people take note! This kind of ride just may be running through the trees of the old BBW site! Looks like a pretty good trade up to me!

--Robb

Seconded!

Looks like 2011 and 2012 are going to be great years for the Busch Gardens parks. As for the name, I thought "you're the cheetah on the hunt," too, but agree that it's a bit awkward. Still like it better than "Chee-taka," though (which sounds like something on the menu at Taco Bell).

If it is really gonna be just a lapbar this thing will be crazy. What if with the dual loading platform they have some trains that are OTSRs and some that are lapbars. Launching up that tower with just a lapbar is going to be pretty amazing.

The last thing I am going to say about the name, it seem's like everyone had accepted that was Cheetaka and it grew on everyone. They just had to change it up just to prove the fan sites wrong? So they could make a comment like "don't believe the rumors." They still own the trademark, they should just go back to it. Marketing Cheetaka is gonna be easier than Cheetah Hunt at this point.

Did they ever say how much this thing cost?

Edited by Ratmead

The train is decorated as a Cheetah, you are the cheetah on the hunt. There is a "Cheetah Run" display near the ride showing cheetahs on the hunt. Pretty easy to understand in my opinion.

However, completely understand the disappointment of using an English word (Hunt) in the name. Although the name may not be inspiring, the ride sure is. In the end , the ride is all that matters to me.

I think this ride looks very interesting. But why are there OTSRs in the concept art if it has lapbars?

Because it's concept art. It's just supposed to give you an idea of what the ride might be like and usually isn't accurate 100%

I too am questioning the Cheetah Hunt name, but the entire ride looks great!