TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

To be honest I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping for some type of top hat element. At least there's one inversion though... it almost comes across as a "family" coaster now.

It seems that a family coaster may be what they are shooting for. This will be a great entry style ride for kids that should be more than entertaining for adults. There seems to be decent amounts of airtime in the "pops" and the camelback off the second launch. And the rhino area looks fun...

Look at the top steel coasters on anyone's list. They are non-inverting coasters. Look at the longest lines with roller coasters (i.e. even if you adjust for capacity). The most popular roller coasters are typically wood and non-inverting steel coasters.

Inversions aren't as important as they once were. Maverick only has two inversions. Sheikra only has one. The most popular have zero.

This ride will have lots of airtime hills, an actual "first" drop, multiple launches (i.e. Volcano) and "twisty". It will be extremely popular to the thrill and family base and a welcome change to all the similar multiple inverting steel coasters in Florida.

BGT has a park full of coasters with inversions I'm sure this one will be just great without. This ride reminds me so much of maverick just looking at it. All of the movements with the speed and tight scenery will surely enhance this ride. I just hope the scenery actually comes out the way it is portrayed in this video. Given that this is BGT I have a lot of faith that they will follow through and deliver. Oh... and that hill after the launch in the 4th clip I so hope its like the maverick airtime hill. I find this ride a thrill ride for all ages. Not too stomach churning but far from dull.

What's up with all the (not launch) straight track? I wish I didn't sound like the greedy enthusiast, because I'm not trying to complain, but this last part was a bit of a letdown. I guess I built up expectations in my head (hopefully I'm not alone on that one) and they just weren't met. Oh well. Still looks like a fantastic ride!

No offense, but you do. And so do the other nay-sayers.

It seems as if they are trying to make the ride experience much like a cheetah stalking its prey. There are a lot of quick bursts mixed in with slower sections that hover low to the ground. I'm anxious to see the whole thing stitched together and to see some more off-ride renderings of it when it's announced next week.

I really liked it until the part in the new video...the part after the barrel roll and before the 2nd video clip looks a lot more...I guess boring...than I thought it would. From the leaked layout, that particular part looked like it was going to be the most exciting to me, and instead it's just a couple random straight non-launching sections (although Im assuming at least one of are going to be brake sections?) and another "surf curves" type thing (which, if it's anything like Sky Rocket's surf curves, is pretty disappointing...although if they are taken at a high speed they may not be, but that didnt look like the case from the video). I'm not usually one to complain about something before it's open, and aside from this latest clip I actually think it looks great, but I guess I just had my hopes really high for this particular portion of the ride and they got shot down lol. Of course, though, I can't really say anything until I ride it or it's even built for that matter - it could turn out better than it looks. Maverick did, at least.

Edited by KPfreak519

What's up with all the (not launch) straight track? I wish I didn't sound like the greedy enthusiast, because I'm not trying to complain, but this last part was a bit of a letdown. I guess I built up expectations in my head (hopefully I'm not alone on that one) and they just weren't met. Oh well. Still looks like a fantastic ride!

No offense, but you do. And so do the other nay-sayers.

Pretty sure we're allowed to have our opinions. But thanks.

^^What KPfreak said.

A coaster is a coaster, why are all of you so ungrateful (no offense but that is what it's looking like). I have actually been liking the ride so far, and it looks like it has fair amounts of speed, airtime, and overall fun.

And I'm no fanboy, I'm probably never going to even ride the ride until I go back to Florida hahaha.

Sounds like a "you" problem to me.

Well there are certainly a lot of us with that issue then.

I'm not saying that this ride doesn't look good, because it does look quite fun. I'm saying that the Maverick comparisons are more than likely going to stop... I do like how BG is trying to appeal to a wider audience though. Definitely not as much of a thriller as many were expecting, but a great looking ride nonetheless. A coaster is a coaster, and it's great to see them finally get an Intamin!

I really like the overall looking of the ride, but I still miss a top hat element/a beyond vertical first drop or a "Stengel Dive" like Maverick has.

I think that figure-8-element is also a bit boring.

I am excited to see the whole ride in action next week.

I'm looking forward to next week as well. Maybe there are some missing elements that will be revealed with the full video.

I'm a huge Intamin fan boy and will certainly be there for the opening, but was hoping for a few more thrills. To me, this ride looks more like a combination of Maverick, I305, and MF, combined to make a family friendly thrill ride. It looks like it's going to be a blast and very re-rideable.

And really, most of us were looking at it from a coaster enthusiast, I want taller/faster/longer pov. As much as all of us (myself included) would love that, Busch Gardens has to look at all of the people who come to the park. This coaster should be great for a larger portion of people. For example, my friend who could only ride Montu once the entire day because he has a weak stomach. This one looks as if he could ride it more than once, which he could enjoy more (not saying he wouldn't enjoy riding Montu only once, but you get my drift). I think this will be a great addition, and I can't wait to marathon this thing!

I guess this is what happens when you have about a year to think about what you want a particular coaster to be. No way it's going to be what everyone wanted. Looking at it from afar, if you had to guess what kind of coaster would be the 'next' type of coaster it'd be fair to say a Family Style would be the type they'd install.

People are also still underestimating the airtime this thing is gonna give. The hill off the rhino launch is gonna rock.

Sorry to derail for a second, but has anyone done the "Alone" upcharge maze at Howl-O-Scream? I'm really interested in reading a detailed review (with spoilers). I did some searching around the Googlez last night and was able to figure out bits and pieces, but a nice comprehensive rundown would be super super rad.