TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

We had a really nice time at the park yesterday. It was a bit warmer and busier than expected, but ride lines were manageable. We grabbed QQ because the price is so cheap with the Platinum 50% discount and it was definitely helpful but not mandatory. 

S&S Screamin’ Swings are my favorite flat ride and Serengeti Flyer was no exception. We faced Kumba forgetting that most of the safari “action” is on the side facing Montu. It  will be a great 1-2 punch once FF reopens next door. Fills a huge void!

The biggest call out is that Kumba and Montu did have 2-trains running all day, which has been fairly inconsistent in recent months. Kumba was a walk on and Montu’s standby looked about 20 mins. 

The finally seemed to have fixed Cheetah Hunt’s operations. The sweet spot seems to be 4 trains, two stations with strict bag checks. The line was only about 30 minutes all day, which I think most know used to be unheard of. 

Just leaving a picture of Montu, because it’s Montu.

And yep, Scorpion is open, running like a dream,  and comfort collar free.

8BBEFEB3-6AC4-4AEE-B700-03CAD42C52B5.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Serengeti Flyer now has 2 different ride modes, a milder version and the standard version. I got to the park around 30 minutes too late to try the new milder ride but hope to try it soon as the original version made me dizzy.

Flyer1.thumb.jpeg.0fe2484dc85adaa3a392fce593f1865e.jpeg

For this time of year crowds were really low. Iron Gwazi was only a 2 train wait when I got to the park and had a posted 5 minute wait when I left.

There were also multiple breakdowns today. Sheikra was closed when I walked past it but did reopen later, Kumba closed a little after 2:00 and never reopened. Cheetah Hunt was closed when I was going to stop at the ride before leaving.

This was my first time riding the Log Flume since it reopened after the refurbishment and I think they did something to cause less of a splash. You used to get soaked and both times I rode today, I barely got any water on me almost like Coal Cracker at Hersheypark.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like the park finally gave up on reopening the Sky Ride. I’m not really surprised after it never reopened when they had signs at the entrance in late Spring 2022 stating it was going to reopen in the summer. 

The page for the ride has been removed:

https://buschgardens.com/tampa/rides/skyride/

The closed rides page also had it removed from the list and now just shows Tigris as being closed.

https://buschgardens.com/tampa/park-info/ride-attraction-schedule/

• Sad 1

No park disappoints me like BGT does. But uhhh at least Falcon’s Fury is open again? And Montu is back up? 

Falcons Fury is shows as archived on Queue Times. I would love to visit again just for Falcons Fury (and a Gwazi ride at opening) but if FF is down still it’s not worth my time and potential $. 

• 2 months later...

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has announced Phoenix Rising, a brand-new B&M family inverted coaster, to open in 2024!

PhoenixRisingatBuschGardensTampaBay-KeyVisual.thumb.jpg.21f7103de5e83e694f3f64025edc90c1.jpg

Get Ready for a Fiery, Family-Friendly New Adventure: “Phoenix Rising” Set to Soar Above the Serengeti Plain at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay in Spring 2024

• “Phoenix Rising” becomes the largest family-friendly addition to the Pantopia area of the park and will be the first coaster to feature on-board audio
  • Minimum height requirement of only 42 inches will have thrill-seeking families experiencing the exhilarating flight of the Phoenix aboard an all-new suspended roller coaster that will swing riders side-to-side
  • 2024 Annual Pass members will be the first to ride with passes on sale now

Expect a blaze of excitement in Tampa Bay this coming Spring, as Busch Gardens brings to life a legend with its newest roller coaster “Phoenix Rising,” – the park’s tenth coaster, and the largest family-friendly addition to the Pantopia area of the park.  This exhilarating new experience will have family members soaring above the Serengeti Plain before going on an exploratory journey over the Pantopia region, with its vibrant colors, thrilling attractions, and more. Riders will feel the rush of the wind and thrill of the flight in this suspended roller coaster that enable ride cars and riders to swing side to side as the train races along the track high above the Serengeti Plain. “Phoenix Rising” will be the first coaster to feature on-board audio, enhancing the ride experience with a one-of-a-kind soundtrack, integrated into an exhilarating array of twists, turns and surprises for families riding together.

The best way to experience Busch Gardens is with a 2024 Annual Pass and pass holders will be the first to ride the family-friendly coaster “Phoenix Rising” before it opens to the public.

Manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard, “Phoenix Rising” is a family-friendly suspended roller coaster, traveling at speeds up to 44 miles per hour throughout the 1,831-feet journey. With a minimum height requirement of 42 inches, “Phoenix Rising” will be the perfect attraction for thrill-seeking families to embark on and have fun together.

“Phoenix Rising” will be an extraordinary journey for our seasoned coaster enthusiasts and younger thrill-seekers alike,” said Stewart Clark, president of Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. “Joining a comprehensive coaster collection, this new attraction reinforces our commitment to provide guests with new, immersive and one-of-a-kind experiences.”

• Like 2

Wow, so not only is it a family suspended coaster, but it will have onboard audio and "swing" like an old school suspended coaster? This is pretty exciting addition, cool to see B&M doing some new stuff. Also it seems like this is a bit longer and faster than the previous 2 B&M family coasters in China so I wonder if that means a custom layout?

Every time I'm at BGT the longest lines are almost always for Cheetah Hunt and Cobras Curse, and even Scorpion and the wild mouse used to pull some pretty decent lines. A reliable B&M family coaster with a decent capacity should be a great addition for this park.

• Like 2

I'm not too familiar with the parks. . . will this station go where Sand Serpent was?   

trying to figure out where the layout would be and still go over the Serengeti Plain. . .as doesn't Cobra's Curse also overlook that?

8 minutes ago, bert425 said:

I'm not too familiar with the parks. . . will this station go where Sand Serpent was?   

trying to figure out where the layout would be and still go over the Serengeti Plain. . .as doesn't Cobra's Curse also overlook that?

I'm assuming part of this ride will be where Sand Serpent was, but if I remember correctly they also removed the Phoenix singing ship ride and maybe some of the other smaller rides in that side area of Pantopia.

I was looking at a map trying to figure out how it could go over the Serengeti Plain area and directly adjacent to Pantopia is a service road and then the elephant barn/habitat directly to the east and some other animal enclosures a little more to the northwest. I don't know exactly where the layout will go but there ae some options in that area, even if it's just a nice view from the lift hill.

I think this is going to be a great addition to the park. They needed another family coaster with Sand Serpent gone and there are not that many rides in the park at all for someone too old for kids rides but not wanting to go on a coaster with an inversion.

• Like 1

That art concept of the coaster is the opposite 'look' that I got a photo  of, from a similar coaster In Denmark.

It just seems, to me, that all the (then) new coasters I've ridden in Europe are now being considered (and built) for the U.S. parks.

Which is a very cool thing! 😀

ResizeofIMG_5146.JPG.da991027f09bc3cf6fe5313b6b624516.JPG

In Farup Sommerland. This is Orkanen.