TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

If all coasters are open, nothing should be that much of a wait. Iron Gwazi, Cobra’s Curse, Montu and Cheetah Hunt might have some lines early in the day but nothing too bad. 

By afternoon it should be walk ons or close to it, if Cobra’s Curse is still closed, Cheetah Hunt and Montu will have longer lines more of the day.

Also Falcon's Fury is supposed to open again this spring. I hope it actually does open then and it won't be like the Skyride that had signs up for opening in summer 2022 and never did open.

https://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/entertainment/theme-parks/2023/01/25/busch-gardens-says-drop-ride-falcons-fury-will-reopen-this-spring/

I took today off to go tandem skydiving for the first time. With the jump spot roughly half way between Tampa and Orlando, I thought I’d make the Trek to Tampa. It was a really amazing experience and no where near as nauseating as the Stratosphere Sky Jump (I found the Vegas strip lights to make the sensation of height a bit much) and the whole thing was very serene yet thrilling. Highly recommend! 

Ever since I moved to Orlando, one of my favorite things to do is visit this park on a weekday during January or March.  Today was no exception and the added bonus was that the ride availability was probably the best I‘ve seen in 5 years. 4 rides on Montu, IG, and   Kumba, and a single ride on Cheetah Hunt, Sheikra and Tigris. Just a few notes :

- Ops were good with 2 train operation on Sheikra, Iron Gwazi and Cheetah Hunt. Everything but the front rows were a walk on. 
- Montu and Sheikra were running like a dream. I really do prefer the latter to Dr. D, as much as it pains me. It’s so much smoother and the “loop and swoop” (as I can the  Immelmann and sweeping turn before the block brake) is still my favorite moment on any dive coaster. Montu was nearly trimless and running like a bat out of hell despite half full trains. 
- I’m a huge Kumba advocate but it was pretty gnarly going into the first corkscrew in the back. I had a Zen ride in the front which was ironically smooth. 
- I rode in the front seat of Tigris with a nice younger guy. I think we were the only ones on the ride and we started chatting about parks afterwards when we noticed we both had coaster apparel. We both agreed that SV has the edge to IG, which I know is an unpopular opinion. I just love the sheer setting and length, but Iron Gwazi is fierce (to quote the safety spiel) and so much more accessible, so I’ll take it. 

Best day I’ve had lately!

• Like 4

On 1/26/2023 at 8:48 AM, YoshiFan said:

Also Falcon's Fury is supposed to open again this spring. I hope it actually does open then and it won't be like the Skyride that had signs up for opening in summer 2022 and never did open.

https://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/entertainment/theme-parks/2023/01/25/busch-gardens-says-drop-ride-falcons-fury-will-reopen-this-spring/

Sorry if I missed it but why has Sky Ride been down so long?

Dates have been announced for Serengeti Flyer’s Passport to Thrills and Annual Pass preview dates

“Passport to Thrills
February 24, 10am - 2pm 

Platinum
February 24, 2pm - 8pm 
Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze
February 25, 10am - 6pm”

It looks like opening to the public might be at the end of February based on how past previews were with the ride opening a day or two after previews ended.

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has announced that Serengeti Flyer will be opening on February 27th, 2023!

image.thumb.png.ae52dfc98bd025ddc6d59758a344f8fe.png.3191ba4cfa268b45e134fd40fe1b7032.png

https://buschgardens.com/tampa/rides/serengeti-flyer/ 

Have you heard about the record-breaking Serengeti Flyer coming to Busch Gardens February 27, 2023? With each swing, riders will soar higher and higher above Busch Gardens Tampa Bay’s expansive 65-acre Serengeti Plain while experiencing multiple negative-G moments before plunging back toward the Earth. If you have an Annual Pass and have been collecting your Passport to Thrills tickets, your exclusive time to ride is almost here! Guests who have visited Busch Gardens Tampa Bay one time each in December and January AND collected those tickets, have until February 23, 2023 to collect their February ticket. Come back on February 24, 2023 from 10am – 2pm and present your December, January, and February tickets for entry into the exclusive Passport to Thrills event. The event includes the FIRST opportunity for Pass Members to ride Serengeti Flyer, free popcorn, soda, button, and more. February tickets will not be distributed on February 24, 2023.

Hi all, making my first trip to the park this coming Saturday. I know it is a holiday weekend so I am expecting it to be busy, so we bought Quick Queue to account for that. So with that in mind is there any tips you can provide about the park, how to attack it, hidden gems aside from the rides, and if I'll have to wait hours in line to get some food? I also see Scorpion is suddenly listed as temporarily closed. That seemed rather sudden as it doesn't have a scheduled closure until March. Any locals know whats going on there?

Thanks in advance!

^I assume you have the Quick Queue with only one Iron Gwazi?  In that case, make sure to run right there and get a ride without using QQ and use the QQ later in the day, and then get in line for it right before park close so at least you can get a few rides with minimal waiting. Montu has only been running one train so even with Quick Queue be prepared to wait.  Scorpion was down a lot last weekend but we did get on it...I wonder if it was having issues and they just pulled it early.  Food at the park isn't as good as it used to be so don't waste time waiting in line at any of the real places...do the Mardi Gras food booths or the Pretzels (my fav if you can get a fresh one!) near Scorpion. If you need 'real' food, try one of the places that does mobile ordering so there's less waiting. 

Good luck! Saturday of a Holiday weekend!! Eeek!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SharkTums said:

^I assume you have the Quick Queue with only one Iron Gwazi?  In that case, make sure to run right there and get a ride without using QQ and use the QQ later in the day, and then get in line for it right before park close so at least you can get a few rides with minimal waiting. Montu has only been running one train so even with Quick Queue be prepared to wait.  Scorpion was down a lot last weekend but we did get on it...I wonder if it was having issues and they just pulled it early.  Food at the park isn't as good as it used to be so don't waste time waiting in line at any of the real places...do the Mardi Gras food booths or the Pretzels (my fav if you can get a fresh one!) near Scorpion. If you need 'real' food, try one of the places that does mobile ordering so there's less waiting. 

Good luck! Saturday of a Holiday weekend!! Eeek!

Thank you for the pointers!

Your assumption is correct on the QQ, and that was pretty much our plan. Glad to hear a local back up that plan. 

Sad to hear about Scorpion. Oh well, gives me a reason to come back. 

Question on the dining. We have the all day dining pass, can we use that in conjunction with the mobile ordering? Also, does the park have any sort of souviner drink cup with all day free refills? I don't see anything on the website but it feels strange that a regional park wouldn't have that. Bonus points if they have it and its also good at Seaworld Orlando

And yes, I'm terrified of the crowds I will encounter all weekend here and at Universal. But, it's my first opportunity to ever go to Florida so I had to take it LOL

Small update from today. Crowds were minimal as usual for this time of year. Only Cheetah Hunt was more than 15 minutes.

FalconsFury1.thumb.jpeg.b9ed1b1af7a4ccacd1273c7a4906ff92.jpeg

Work being done on Falcon's Fury. That's a good sign and I hope it opens soon.

Scorpion1.thumb.jpeg.ca0938d2fb37feaa6de1ee600ab6c14d.jpeg

I went to see what was going on at Scorpion. Some signs up at the entrance.

Scorpion2.thumb.jpeg.2fe7f48a94b72aa2b0f38a047c7ec0d6.jpeg

Scorpion's 2nd train on the transfer track, I don't think I have seen that on any visit to the park in the last year and a half since I moved to FL.

• Like 1

BGT has increased height restriction on Scorpion to 48" . . with a caveat.

Guests between 48” and 54” must be accompanied by a supervising companion 14 years of age or older who is at least 54” tall.

https://buschgardens.com/tampa/roller-coasters/scorpion/

still not back open yet, but hopefully soon.

6 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I'm fine with this as long as they don't screw with the ride, but I'm also a childless adult who selfishly doesn't care. I feel bad for the kids impacted by this.

yeah. . MUCH better to raise the height restriction than to take away the lap-bars and replace with over the shoulder.

I mean, it sucks for shorter folks (and kids), but I guess this is the best way they could resolve and quickly reopen the ride.

For anyone who's wondering exactly why Scorpion was temporarily down and now it's back up again but with a height increase, it appears this is the reason why:

https://www.yourtango.com/news/mom-records-terrifying-moment-her-daughter-began-slip-out-rollercoaster-seat

I can't help but wonder if this will have any impact on the other operating looping Schwarzkopfs that still run with lap bars and a low height requirement, such as Shockwave or Sooperdooperlooper.

5 hours ago, coneyislandchris said:

For anyone who's wondering exactly why Scorpion was temporarily down and now it's back up again but with a height increase, it appears this is the reason why:

https://www.yourtango.com/news/mom-records-terrifying-moment-her-daughter-began-slip-out-rollercoaster-seat

I can't help but wonder if this will have any impact on the other operating looping Schwarzkopfs that still run with lap bars and a low height requirement, such as Shockwave or Sooperdooperlooper.

With SDL using Gerstlauer trains and also having a sticker with red and green on it where the lap bar has to be lowered into the green section to be allowed to ride, maybe that will be enough to leave it at 42"?

Just increase the height limit and offer more family rides. It makes you wonder how many times this has happened. It also gives you an understanding of the importance of height requirements.

On 2/23/2023 at 12:23 PM, bert425 said:

^ yeah . . I wasn't gonna give that any more press than it had gotten, so that's why didn't link to the Ticktoc or anything else.

Why?

because not all press is "good" press.

also the park hasn't issued an official statement on the incident, nor has any reputable news source picked it up.

it's not that I don't believe it happened, but when the source is a viral tik-tok?  I choose not to give it more air.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bert425 said:

because not all press is "good" press.

also the park hasn't issued an official statement on the incident, nor has any reputable news source picked it up.

it's not that I don't believe it happened, but when the source is a viral tik-tok?  I choose not to give it more air.

Smart move.  Nothing on TikTok deserves more air.

• Like 1