TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

^ I totally agree. I couldn't marathon Steel Vengeance, if I wanted to. I was at Busch Tampa for the platinum season pass previews last month. In a little over 3 days, I rode it 91 times. No that's not a typo. I had 2 more days there and wanted to hit 100, but it was closed both days.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, pianojohn said:

Have you ridden both?
I have. And I prefer Steel Vengeance.

Only SV. The final bunny hops were terrible and I smashed my globes in that final sequence. 

I generally think RMC's are backbreaking though. They're the new Arrow Multi Looper. 

i-said-what-i-said-nene-leakes.gif

IG appears to be next gen  and features a lot more swooping elements rather than tight geometry. 

I have ridden both and also prefer Steel Vengeance but Iron Gwazi is a solid #2 in terms of my favorite RMCs. 

I do prefer the first drop on Iron Gwazi but the disorienting, unrelenting nature of SV is just bar none. I will say the engineering of the track design feels more intentional in a way than SV but I think it slightly detracts from the out of control nature. The second half of IG in particular is phenomenal but it is about what you would expect just by looking at it if you’d ridden a good number of RMCs. I am also one of the few that love the last stretch of SV even if it is repetitive. It’s just so good. That said, on IG from the first drop through the death roll, it is quite a rush that truly takes your breath away. 

+1 for Iron Gwazi. Twisting out the bottom of the death roll on the right side of the train in the back 2 cars is so nuts. That and the sideways airtime hill are more intense than any element on SV. I do like the abundance of head choppers on SV though. Iron Gwazi is also both easier and harder to marathon at the same time. Easier because of Busch Gardens' amazingly crowd-free weekdays, harder because the more intense airtime and elements destroy my shins.

I can see why someone might prefer SV for a more comfortable ride, but in terms of intensity/thrill, Iron Gwazi is significantly better.

• Like 1

I think the core problem with RMCs is the train.  They are the worst along with the comfort collars.  The final run on SV is ruined because of the restraints and train.  I still enjoy the heck out of them.

10 hours ago, xVicesAndVirtues said:

I can see why someone might prefer SV for a more comfortable ride, but in terms of intensity/thrill, Iron Gwazi is significantly better.

Interesting because I disagree 100% with this. To me SV is by far the more intense/ thrilling ride.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tndank said:

I think the core problem with RMCs is the train.  They are the worst along with the comfort collars.  The final run on SV is ruined because of the restraints and train.  I still enjoy the heck out of them.

The trains on RMC's could be better, but are they the worst? Probably not, although I could do without the shin guards. But I have marathoned SV many days and nights, and I just marathoned IG and neither was uncomfortable. 

Those shin guards really hurt RMCs for me. They make me feel paralyzed from the waist down. 

Having recently ridden both SV and IG, it's a near tie for me. But I'd give IG a slight bump due to making me literally run like a kid to ride it again. It's just so damn fun. I also hate the final hops on SV.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With Spring Break over for most (or all?) of the US, I was interested to see how Iron Gwazi's wait times were going to be considering the wait times haven't been too bad overall since the ride opened. Before the ride opened to the public, I thought with it being a RMC and a brand new hyped up ride it was still going to have a 45-60 minute wait even on a slower day.

I stopped in for 90 minutes yesterday around 2:30 and it was only 1-2 train wait. If that's how it's going to be normally on a weekday when schools are in session, anyone who can visit on those days is going to have a great opportunity to marathon the coaster.

• Like 3

Yeah weekdays at non peak times (and obviously avoiding spring break, holidays) is what I strive for. I've made out like a bandit before, like Kings Island or SFMM totally dead. Sadly it wasn't in the cards this time, I'll be in BGT this Sunday. But hoping it'll be less insane than Saturday and I'll be getting fast lane for sure. I ran into some extra $ almost like fate from the coaster gods....an amount that will likely just cover a fast pass :)

• Like 1

I just got back from an Orlando/Tampa trip and was able to ride Iron Gwazi. It was a fantastic ride, but it unfortunately did not live up to the hype for me. I rode Velocicoaster earlier in the week, and I much preferred it; it really shows how far theming can go to make an experience complete! Comparing to other RMCs, I put it behind Steel Vengeance and Twisted Timbers. Interestingly, I really enjoy the second half of SV that brutally nails you with a bunch of airtime hills that was described above. Because of the length of SV, it also feels like more of a dramatic experience.

Even though IG has incredible pacing until the end of the ride, it feels as though it runs out of elements during the second half. The first drop, sideways airtime hill, barrel roll of death (way more crazy than I expected) and wave turn are incredible. After that, the stall and twisty bits just don't match up. It is kind of the opposite of Velocicoaster, which ramps up from beginning to end. 

• Like 5

Well I've landed in an unexpectedly rainy Tampa. Was forecast to be sunny and clear (as of yest) so much to my chagrin looks it's supposed to rain ALL weekend, esp Sunday when I planned to go 😮

Well, I'm here and hey I've gone to parks on rainy days before and sometimes things turn out magical (it stays dry and there's no crowds) so time to pray to the coaster gods!

12 hours ago, JJLehto said:

Well I've landed in an unexpectedly rainy Tampa. Was forecast to be sunny and clear (as of yest) so much to my chagrin looks it's supposed to rain ALL weekend, esp Sunday when I planned to go 😮

Well, I'm here and hey I've gone to parks on rainy days before and sometimes things turn out magical (it stays dry and there's no crowds) so time to pray to the coaster gods!

First time in Florida? Lol...this is the average forecast for like 300 days out of the year. And definitely not rain all weekend.

Screenshot_20220430-110712.thumb.png.23e3bbeb97342f93425ee3ab6a48ebe7.png

I'll be there tomorrow too...first time! Got QQ with 1 Gwazi ride included lined up, but will go there first to make sure I get at least 2 rides on it. So pumped to finally get to this place.

9 hours ago, Zand said:

First time in Florida? Lol...this is the average forecast for like 300 days out of the year. And definitely not rain all weekend.

Screenshot_20220430-110712.thumb.png.23e3bbeb97342f93425ee3ab6a48ebe7.png

I'll be there tomorrow too...first time! Got QQ with 1 Gwazi ride included lined up, but will go there first to make sure I get at least 2 rides on it. So pumped to finally get to this place.

Nope, in fact I lived in this state for 4.5 years LOL 

Thankfully forecast looks dry until 2ish then rain is expected, as you say FL "rain" often is never never then a 20 minute burst then its hot and sunny again, so this is encouraging. Yeah I'll be there at gate open, QQ, and try to get as much in as quickly as I can. IG will be the focus but a few some others are a must as well. 

Not sure if I just got super spoiled by being at Universal for 5 days, but damn is this place miserable. Log Flume closed, Rapids closed, Skyride closed, coasters either running 1 train or the ones with multiple are stacking the crap out of them. There are 3(?) air conditioned restaurants in the whole park but the layout of this place blows so it's a 10+ minute walk to get anywhere. Currently in a full queue for Zambia Smokehouse which is at least out of the sun but not really any cooler.

I can't believe this is the same park company as Williamsburg. If i didn't have quick queue I would've left already. The food situation is almost making me want to leave anyway. Willamsburg has food every 5 feet, this place has like 7 food places and two of them are Chik-fil-a so out of luck with that today. Even with the great coaster lineup I can't see myself driving back here on my next Orlando trip.

Like I said, maybe I got too spoiled by Universal because I didn't really my night at enjoy Magic Kingdom either. But this is the second major park in a row that I've been to where I keep saying I'd rather be at Great Adventure right now.

Anyway, I'm about half done with the coaster lineup so far. Started with Iron Gwazi in front, great ride but kind of underwhelming compared to Steel Vengeance or even Velocicoaster but will ride in back later as I hear that is the better seat. Cheetah was actually really good and if they got the soft straps then it would be close to elite. No one will confuse it for Maverick but I really liked it. Rode Montu in the back right. The Batwing was insane but this is another one I probably played up too much in my head as I think I prefer Banshee and Raptor. Cobra's Curse was excellent, not much spinning but super fun and unique. Rode Kumba in the back right and yeah...insane. Zero G roll and cobra roll are batshit and it really carries a lot of speed right to the end. It shuffles quite a bit and is a headache inducer but the ride is so insane that it's worth going back to later. 

Currently 20 minutes into the Smokehouse line and finally starting into the final switchback where it is hot as hell, so, if I don't pass out, hope to report back on Sheikra, Scorpion, and back of Iron Gwazi!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think it's a secret that the BGT operations have left A LOT to be desired the last few years.  It's really quite disappointing as the park is actually quite amazing, but if it's hot out and you're dealing with full queues with lackluster employees it can be annoying. 

Also, it's dumb putting ChickFilA in parks, I'm saying it!!!!

• Like 5

I went Wednesday and yeah, the staff was... Lackluster. Restaurants on the all day dining plan not opening until 90 minutes after open is absurd (especially when I have children with me). They also weren't verifying QQ at all which is a good problem to have I suppose, I'm just annoyed I paid for it.

IG was absurd and the death roll is probably my favorite element on any ride ever, but I still came off a bit underwhelmed. My second RMC and first iron horse so maybe I just expected too much but it still slots at my #3 behind Voyage and MF.

Falcons fury being closed was a bummer. One train on Kumba sucked. And the more I ride Cheetah Hunt, the more I love it and I think it's probably the second best ride in the park. I almost like it better than Maverick.

0501221702_HDR.thumb.jpg.90ed5c3892ec7fce82a5431e9bd7c042.jpg

I've been sitting here at the pretzel place (which is the only redeeming proof that I'm actually in a Busch park) and I wish I was exaggerating when I say Scorpion has been sending trains almost as rapidly as Sheikra. Like...who TF has 3 minute dispatch times on a B&M dive coaster? 

Hitting IG, Montu, and Cheetah one more time then honestly heading back to Fun Spot for the evening. Maybe my expectations were too high based on the reviews people give this place and based on the fact it has Busch Gardens in its title. I didn't expect getting the full Six Flags America experience instead lol.

• Like 1

Last time I was at BGT folks in line were asking if the ride broke down between every cycle because every ride crew was that lazy. 

Both BGT & BGW have such incredible rides and park atmosphere yet the soul is dead and the newer attractions are an afterthought beyond the ride track. But hey they're still crazy fun new rides?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The TVs in the queue and station showing cycle times only exacerbates the problem. Any of their B&M coasters should never have a train in the station for more than 180 seconds but it happens every time.

Wow, Im glad I only bought the normal QQ and not + Iron Gwazi.... the park (while I was there) was shockingly quiet....

I did 2 rides on IG then did a loop to hit all the rest: I had under 10 min waits for Tigris, Sheikra, Kumba, Montu...I used my QQ only for Cheetah Hunt, no joke. Glad I didnt go all in, would've paid $120 for basically 1 free ride on IG. AND after I did my loop I went back to IG for two wait was only 35-40 minutes 😮 So yeah QQ+ wasn't needed and sadly even normal QQ was kinda useless, what can ya do/first world problems lol Like some guy used QQ for Kumba, but I ended up in the same row as him lol 

I will agree with Zand, I kinda hated being here lol So it can't help the heat....that's Florida for ya but yes, very hot + miserable ops = bad time. Iron Gwazi was only 35-40 mins on my later rides BUT the line was only in the station 😮 To an above comment, I actually did think they went down to 1 train ops. With how short the line was and its slowness I figured something happened and they went down to 1/just reopened, but nope they were somehow running 2 trains! And the other waits while short, prob would've been walk ons if they tried. No doubt the ops were kinda terrible. And yes! So few rides are open! Falcons Fury was not up, as were a few others, half the food/drink places were closed. I did BGW 2 weeks ago and that park was far superior. Not just the atmosphere but was running way better/did not have these issues! 

Also this can't be helped but I can now say BGW has a superior lineup. BGT has Iron Gwazi which is God-tier but Griffon>Sheikra, Alpengeist>Montu (sorry! I mean Montu was great ofc), Verbolten > Cheetah Hunt/Cobras. Its a good, fun lineup dont get me wrong but kept thinking oof the BGW one is better lol All this is why I left at 3:00. Got all I wanted, multiple on Kumba, IG, was feeling not great so I bailed. Good rides no doubt, but quite disappointing and for the price.....cmon. 

That said Iron Gwazi is sick. Especially once warmed up, damn that thing was bonkers!!! I do put it behind SV (and probably Timbers) just bc it doesnt have quite as many elements/isnt as non stop balls to the wall, but that is one helluva ride. I can see why some may prefer it to SV, as it more 'rideable' and a tad less trying to kill you. I prefer the latter but just preference. Great ride, deff top tier RMC

• Like 1

Day ended up going from bad to worse at the end. After riding a fun Scorpion (what Schwarzkopf isn't fun?) and the lousy Mouse (standard layout but no bunny hill near the end...what gives?) we headed back to the front of the park. I first turned toward Montu and got two back right rides on that and then a front row ride on Cheetah. Then made my way over to use my one QQ on Iron Gwazi, got into the station, and...thunder. Went down to the covered area near the front gate and waited it out. Around 7 it stopped raining and thundering so went back to IG where they were letting people into the station, but kept saying the whole park was down for lightning (even though that storm had totally dissipated and the closest storm was about 10 miles southwest of Lakeland so...IDK) so admitted defeat at 7:30 and left.

I'm pretty upset I never got to use my QQ for Gwazi but at the same time I could've just gone that way instead of going to Montu and Cheetah for more rides on those. Truth be told, I think I instinctively did it because I think they're better coasters. While I wanted to get that coveted back seat ride on IG to really judge how much I liked it, I was underwhelmed by my front seat ride and honestly can't remember more than one or two spots that are memorable to me. I literally don't remember the death roll or wave turn because they didn't really stand out to me. I'm sure it would grow on me if I rode it in back, but I honestly left the park thinking it's the 4th best coaster in the park and that Mine Blower is a better coaster. 

I do want to go back and hopefully have a better visit next time and get more rides on IG, but my opinion of the park operations, layout, and food options literally fall somewhere in the SFA category after today. Lunch at the Smokehouse was the 2nd most miserable dining experience I've ever had (after Krusty Burger). Ended up being 36 minutes in line because there were 2 people serving food slow as molasses while 5 others were f*cking around doing nothing behind them. Ended up with a super soggy pulled pork sandwich. Rapids, Skyride (which I knew about), Falcons Fury, Looping Starship all closed. Lots of food/drink stands closed. Flume down a good chunk of the day. Kumba running one train with a 30 minute line. Saw instances on Sheikra and Montu where the gates still weren't even open by the time the previous train returned.

I hate being mostly negative but I call it like it is. Part of me never wants to go back there again but I know how good the park is supposed to be so I'll be back someday. Seaworld tomorrow then this trip is history.

• Sad 1