TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

On 1/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, jedimaster1227 said:

Iron Gwazi, North America’s tallest and the fastest and steepest hybrid coaster in the world

Which one is it, North America, or the World? Was it originally supposed to be in the world and due to delays was outclassed?

1 hour ago, caleb.stone said:

Which one is it, North America, or the World? Was it originally supposed to be in the world and due to delays was outclassed?

North America's tallest. World's fastest and steepest. 

I'm seeing posts on Twitter that they have repainted Montu (or freshened up the paint on Montu). . to a bright yellow on the supports instead of the light/faded cream/yellow it had.

so it looks like Goliath at SFFT now. . . hmmmmm

IMG_6427.JPG

17 minutes ago, bert425 said:

I'm seeing posts on Twitter that they have repainted Montu (or freshened up the paint on Montu). . to a bright yellow on the supports instead of the light/faded cream/yellow it had.

so it looks like Goliath at SFFT now. . . hmmmmm

IMG_6427.JPG

Hmmm, this had not been done as of Dec 21st when we were there; however, it was down that day. I had assumed technical since one of the trains was halfway up the lift hill all day but maybe they were getting ready to start painting? Cheetah hunt had JUST reopened a few days before and it was a month ago. I'm sure someone has been there more recently and can confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great day at BGT Thursday. I knew going in that Sheikra and Montu would be closed. But my vacation is "use it or lose it" so I went for it. I got Cheetah Hunt x4, Cobra's Curse, Tigris, Kumba x3, Scorpion x3, Sand Serpent, Falcon's Fury, and took the train ride. Cheetah Hunt was a blast. Park was pretty dead. I have been easing in to dark ride and flat rides. Falcon's Fury was my first drop tower. I have never researched drop towers, so I was surprised by the face down drop.  I sat down by the entrance to Iron Gwazi to take a break and they started testing, first empty cars, then with what I assume were employees. Why must they torture an enthusiast with 199 coasters under his belt so? lol Guess I'll have to go back later this year. Photo trip report will follow eventually.

• Like 2

Trip planning question, thought I'd throw this one out to some of the more experienced travel experts here and see if anyone had any thoughts. I'm planning on taking my daughter to hit BGT for the Iron Gwazi passholder previews AND to ride Ice Breaker at SeaWorld Orlando in the same day, either Saturday the 19th or Sunday the 20th. Any suggestions on plan of attack for this? The Iron Gwazi passholder preview is from 12pm to 6 pm, and Ice Breaker will have just opened to the public that Friday.

Option A: Be at BGT at opening, rope drop for Cheetah Hunt and Cobras Curse, then ride whatever until noon. Hit the IG preview at noon for a few rides depending on the lines then head to SeaWorld, probably arrive around 3 or 4 then just standby for Ice Breaker hoping the line isn't too bad for an opening weekend.

Option B. Go to SW first thing in the morning, rope drop Ice Breaker, take a few laps on Mako/Kraken/Manta, then drive to BGT and probably arrive around 12:30 or 1. Hit the IG preview, and maybe grab a few rides on Kumba and Montu until we decide to leave.

I can't really decide if one approach is better than another, the opening weekend lines for Ice Breaker is kind of the only unknown factor. I can't imagine it being more than 45-60 minutes at most at any point of the day but then again these days with a new ride opening, and that being presidents day weekend, it's hard to tell. Anyone got any thoughts/suggestions on this?

I can't recommend rope-dropping BGT.  When I was there the same week last year, the only thing operating at opening was Cheetah Chase - everything else had a sign posting an opening an hour or two later.  That was on a mid-week day though, maybe weekends are different.

I think option B is probably your better choice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

I can't recommend rope-dropping BGT.  When I was there the same week last year, the only thing operating at opening was Cheetah Chase - everything else had a sign posting an opening an hour or two later.  That was on a mid-week day though, maybe weekends are different.

I think option B is probably your better choice.

Thanks, I've never encountered that but something to keep in mind. All my trips there the past year have been on weekends and most of the major stuff opened on time, though I do recall Scorpion/ The mouse not opening until a few hours later one of those days.

I like the first plan better. You're going to Cheetah Hunt first and unless it Intamins itself it will be open with the park.

Does Ice Breaker open with the park? It's new, so I assume the answer is yes but it's also SeaWorld, it's in the back of the park and last year their idea of "Park opens at 9" meant "Manta opens at 9 or you can look at dolphins or flamingos for an hour I guess".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1