TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Going to the park on Monday! Looking forward to it. Does anybody know when the spring break crowds invade the park? If it's expected to be buisy, we are going to get fast lane.

Spring break in Hillsborough County ended last week, so I wouldn't imagine Quick Queue would be necessary. Have a great trip!

BGT must be forecasting the park to be busy seeing as Quick Queue is listed at $71.99 for the rest of the month:

qqmarchbgt.JPG.3a028cca29f58ef0140ed23416c83119.JPG

Regardless however, I would wait until at the park before ever buying Quick Queue at BGT to see if it's worth it. I've gone during the week before Easter and it be packed full of people, then sometimes not too bad. Just because Hillsborough County already had their spring break, doesn't mean the park will be dead. About half (or more) of the rest of the state is out next week, plus vacationers from other areas.

Thank's for the info.

It's actually next Monday that we are visiting. The one thing that I'm stumped on, is why they are only open till 7pm.

By the way, are the refillable cups also good at seaworld? Planning on a couple of days there as well.

Thank's for the info.

It's actually next Monday that we are visiting. The one thing that I'm stumped on, is why they are only open till 7pm.

By the way, are the refillable cups also good at seaworld? Planning on a couple of days there as well.

Yeah, the park usually closes pretty early on weekdays. And yes, the cups do work at SeaWorld!

I hate how that article just shits on BGT. The water park did add a water slide this year. That counts as an addition, right? Adding a major coaster and a water slide in the last three years seems pretty good to me along with adding another attraction next year...Hell, can't SeaWorld parks get any credit in the media? It just pisses me off. Sorry for the rant.

Anyways, please be a RMC Gwazi addition...Please! I would be fine with the skyrocket II, but I think that would fit the San Antonio SeaWorld better if there has to be three of those in SeaWorld parks. A RMC Gwazi would definitely give BGT some positive media news...Hopefully.

And if it turns out to be a RMC Gwazi addition...Then the answer is yes to this comment. (Referencing a comment from another post in another thread regarding Gwazi) "You need to let the ride age for 3 seasons and not touch it before you can begin work on it. It's like fine wine, apparently."

I hate how that article just shits on BGT. The water park did add a water slide this year. That counts as an addition, right? Adding a major coaster and a water slide in the last three years seems pretty good to me along with adding another attraction next year...Hell, can't SeaWorld parks get any credit in the media? It just pisses me off. Sorry for the rant.

Hi, author of the article here. I'm sorry you interpreted the article that way, it's not at all meant to shit on the park. Those who know me are aware of just how passionate I am about BGT, spending the last five years covering everything at the park big and small. I don't discount that Vanish Point at Adventure Island is a great addition there, but it's not at BGT proper, that's all.

http://touringcentralflorida.com/2018/04/05/busch-gardens-tampa-project-2019-rumors/

Twisted Tiger, Uproar, and Tigris have been copyrighted. Could this be RMC Gwazi?

There's pretty much nothing of substance in this article at all. Sure, the news of the copyright is cool but then it's followed up by rumors that could be better described as pipe dreams. To even call these "rumors" is a stretch. A Tempesto clone in the Tidal Wave spot is a totally believable idea, but there's nothing fueling these rumors other than the fact that I guess it seems like something the chain might do.

Edit: Oh, the author's actually here. I sort of feel bad for saying "There's pretty much nothing of substance in this article at all" now.

While I do stand by that, I appreciate that the proposals here are entirely realistic even though there's no reason to get excited about them yet.

Edited by coasterbill

Hi, author of the article here. I'm sorry you interpreted the article that way, it's not at all meant to shit on the park. Those who know me are aware of just how passionate I am about BGT, spending the last five years covering everything at the park big and small. I don't discount that Vanish Point at Adventure Island is a great addition there, but it's not at BGT proper, that's all.

Glad to hear that you're passionate about BGT. I am too. It's one of my favorite parks and I am an avid SeaWorld supporter. It just gets me down because there is so much negative media attention on the parks that it just cements the idea into people's heads. I will say the article was well written, but I just felt towards the end, it kind of put a little negative spin on the park. A lot of parks around the world take breaks from adding to their main park to give attention to their water park. BGT did just that. Hell, SeaWorld Orlando did both parks this year. I am glad for the news that a new addition is coming in 2019...it gets me excited. Thanks for sharing the word!

Edit: Oh, the author's actually here. I sort of feel bad for saying "There's pretty much nothing of substance in this article at all" now.

No offense taken. It's the nature of rumors - it's all speculation until it's actually confirmed.

I will say that over the past 6 + months, I've had multiple unconnected sources share with me that there is something on the table for 2019, and all signs are pointing towards Tidal Wave as the plot for it. I've also had a couple of sources say it's a Sky Rocket II, although admittedly I'm less confident in that part of the story at this point.

With the new trademark filings, I felt it was worth pulling everything together in one post.

So finally getting to this park (even more shameful given I've lived 4ish hours away for 2 years now). Will be the 28th of this month.

What can I expect in terms of crowds/wait times for the coasters? Is there any type of fast pass and if so do ya think it's necessary (aka can I get on every coaster, ideally more than once for biggies, and have time for other rides etc)

Anyone have a general plan of attack? Part of why this place is great, seasoned vets/locals for every park that always know the best way to do things.

Thanks, and looking forward to finally getting here!

I asked my parents many times when we were on vaca and eventually got "OK next year" and we never went back to FL again lol

Edit: Should add, not a cred whore, I am perfectly ok skipping certain ones like the wild mouse, kiddie ride and possible even cobra's curse (is it worth a ride?)

Edit: Should add, not a cred whore, I am perfectly ok skipping certain ones like the wild mouse, kiddie ride and possible even cobra's curse (is it worth a ride?)

it's a perfectly fine family coaster, and the theme thruout the queue makes it worth getting in line for (the moving Hieroglyphics room is pretty impressive).

tho, if it's working, I'd walk right by it to get on Montu (which will be a walk on, if Cobras' Curse is up. . if not, everyone that would be in that line goes to Montu)

So finally getting to this park (even more shameful given I've lived 4ish hours away for 2 years now). Will be the 28th of this month.

What can I expect in terms of crowds/wait times for the coasters? Is there any type of fast pass and if so do ya think it's necessary (aka can I get on every coaster, ideally more than once for biggies, and have time for other rides etc)

Anyone have a general plan of attack? Part of why this place is great, seasoned vets/locals for every park that always know the best way to do things.

I asked my parents many times when we were on vaca and eventually got "OK next year" and we never went back to FL again lol

There are wait times posted in front of all the major rides. They have a quick queue add if you want. Quick queue unlimited if you want a lot of re-rides. You should be able to ride every ride without quick queue though. Just keep in mind this park is huge, and if you plan to do more than ride rides, like see animals and stuff, which you should do, then get a game plan...This park is hard to walk twice around in a day and do everything. Always ride Cheetah Hunt first...It always carries the longest wait. Cobra's Curse is definitely worth the ride...It's a fun coaster! Ride it next. Montu after that, never much of a wait there. I would also suggest Falcon's Fury, Scorpion, Kumba and Sheikra.

That's the last weekend of the Food & Wine Festival. There's also a concert (Flo Rida) going on so the park will be busy. Spring Break busy? Not likely, but will be much more crowded than a weekday.

They have Quick Queue that would be good if you feel the lines are too long. I was there this past Saturday and EVERY coaster had an hour-90 minute wait at times, even Cheetah Hunt & Cobra's curse had 65-70 minutes posted at 9:30pm. Kumba's queue was full at 3pm (which I hadn't seen in years), with Montu having an almost full queue at 4. Mind you it was Easter weekend/spring break. Even if it's likely to be busy, I would still arrive at the park before purchasing Quick Queue Unlimited. It's $69.99 that day:

qqbgt04-28.thumb.JPG.6dcaaca303076bf94c1dd0d5615921e3.JPG

As far as a plan of attack (if you're more about the rides of course), if you end up getting Quick Queue, then you can just go counter-clockwise around the park and ride at your leisure. If you're wanting to see the animals, most are more active in the morning, especially the Gorillas, Tigers, Lions and Kangaroos.

Otherwise (without QQ), Cheetah Hunt will be the first coaster to post a huge wait time shortly after park opening. If you're there before the park opens head there first. They usually open the parking lot 30 minutes before opening and will let you into the front plaza area through the "turnstiles" some days. Go to the right as soon as the rope drops. You might get a couple rides in before the line swells. It's not uncommon for the wait time to jump to an hour within 20-30 minutes. Next I would ride Cobra's Curse. It's definitely worth at least one ride. I was actually surprised with it. After that you'll be tempted to ride Montu since it's there. If the place looks dead get on it. Otherwise I'd wait and go straight to Scorpion as it only has one train. I'd then ride Falcon's Fury as it gets a pretty long wait by lunch and perhaps Sand Serpent if you want the wild mouse since it's right there. After that you can do the rest as you get to it. Don't forget about Stanley Falls Flume. It's one of my favorite log flumes. The Skyride is great to get a view of the park from above, and a great way to rest up a bit from all that walking. The train is great too to see the animals on the Serengeti that are hard to see from the paths and others that can only be seen while riding it.

When riding Kumba, back row left is generally the best seat on the ride. Montu back left usually is too for me, but I did back right last week and it was the best night ride I've ever had on it since I started going regularly in 2007. The front row in the middle of SheiKra is generally the best visually on the first drop. Cheetah Hunt: back row...gives great airtime on the 2nd launch into the the tower and 3rd launch into the airtime hill. I've only done Cobra's Curse a couple times, but the back seemed to be great, especially during the spin section.

Another hint I can give regarding wait times, is that during the concert, they'll likely go down substantially since it's not spring break anymore. Most of the people in the park once that starts (7PM) will be there for the festival. The festival area (Bird Gardens/Gwazi Park) will be crowded anyway with people sampling food, wine, beer & liquor.

Nice, thanks all!

Seriously that's why I love this place, the info is invaluable.

Sounds like it might be a worth while investment, this is just a one day thing (and actually I doubt I'll stay the whole day as I am meeting people later in St Pete) so I'm out just to maximize everything. I actually don't have too much of an issue with lines, even up to an hour or + depending but this is a case where Im solo and just out to marathon. And I love animals, if there's time that's good to know but I'll likely skip it.

Back from Tampa and our trip to Busch Gardens. Thanks again to the members of this board for providing some great tips, helped quite a bit. A few thoughts:

I hadn't been to Busch Gardens in almost 30 years. What a great park. Awesome thrill rides, great layout, great theming. The park is massive, so I'm glad we booked for two days, as initially we only planned on one day. We hit the smokehouse both days for lunch. That wasn't the plan, but it was so good we said why not. Also, we were sure to get the pretzels in Pantopia (tip from this site) and we were not disappointed. The food and wine setup was impressive with the layout and presentation. We didn't participate but wish we could have. Really great ambiance throughout the festival.

A few negatives.

-The Busch Gardens app is worthless. I couldn't find the wait times. If the wait times are on the app, then it isn't intuitive. I spent a while on the app, then gave up.

-Wait time boards. Because the park is so massive, they could use more wait time boards throughout the park to help manage the day. In two days, I only spotted one board outside of Sheikra. Maybe there are more in the park, if so, they need to be bigger and more visible

-Why no single rider lines? It would help their capacity big time. Every roller coaster train had empty seats as it departed the station. This is frustrating when the average wait time last saturday was 45-75 minutes. Also, the staff wasn't really interested in managing capacity in the loading area.

-The two deserted rides make for quite an eyesore in an otherwise beautiful park. I know there is a plan for these eventually, but the sight of Gwazi in the middle of the beautiful food and wine festival was a buzz kill.

-The staff at Busch wasn't particularly great. Not that they were bad, it just doesn't compare to the service you get at Disney or Universal. They go above and beyond imo, the staff at Busch compares more to Six Flags than that of Universal or Disney.

These are just some observations, not meaning to rip the park. We would recommend this park to anyone. In fact, we are planning to hit Williamsburg next. But in my opinion, I think Busch belongs in the same category as Disney and Universal, and that's a compliment. But by the same token, that means they need to up their game with the app, the overall service of the staff, ride capacity, etc. (Yes, yes, I know of the current financial difficulties).

Thanks again to this board for helping us plan our trip! It never lets me down.

My family and I have spent the past two days at the park, and thoroughly enjoyed it, but we were confused when we saw that Jungala's Treetop Trails and Wild Surge were removed from the map... and yet they were still present and operating as normal.

A search later and seeing that both Screamscape and Busch Garden's site report that those two atttactions were closed until further notice, and I'm about as confused as an alligator sunbathing and having people stare at them.

Anyone have a clue what exactly is up with that section of Jungala?