TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Quick questions.......

We are planning to hit Busch gardens on the evening of July 3rd, all day on the 4th, and maybe a few hours on the 5th.

1. I expect the park to be busy on the 4th, but is it super busy to the point where it's impossible to ride much without a flash pass?

2. What's a good plan of attack for the coasters?

3. Is the dinning plan worth it?

4. Is it passable to get the coasters, rides, and a few shows in 1.5 days during the 4th of July?

5. How does the parent swap work at this park?

We are traveling with the kids(2 two year olds), so it slows us down a bit.

Thank's for any help or suggestions you guys share.

^All I can say is the park from my experience has been very busy even when it isn't July 4th, so I can only assume it will be busier on July 4th. Also, the park layout goes around the behind the scenes facilities, Gwazi, and the concert lawn/venue, so it takes a LONG time to make a lap around the park. In addition the pathways are twisted and sometimes tight so the crowds can make for a lot of congestion and slow movement. I would normally suggest arriving well before opening and hauling it to each coaster before it gets too busy but with two two year olds that isn't possible so you would probably be best off investing in their Quick Queue.

1. It won't be impossible, but it might be tight. If you want to ride everything multiple times, it will be necessary, but if you do things right, you can do it, especially with they way child swap works there. More on that later.

2. Best thing would be do everything ride-wise that you can on the first evening, then do rides again in the morning and evening of the 4th, and do shows in the middle of the day when the crowds are the worst. Currently, the best plan of attack is to rope drop Cheetah Hunt, then go to Montu, then go either to SheiKra or Falcon's Fury (check the BGT app to make sure the one you choose isn't down before going to it and wasting time. If one is down, go to the other one) and then work you way around the park in the direction you chose. Now this is before Cobra's Curse has opened. Once it does, it might be best to go there first, then to Cheetah, or it might be best to do Cheetah first still and then go to Cobra on the way to Montu as the morning crowd flow might change. Once it opens, check back here to see which is the best way to do it. If you somehow kiss rope dropping Cheetah and it has a long line once you get there, skip it and come back between 2-3. That's the slowest time of day there as everyone moves on to lunch and the back of the park. Once again, check the BGT app wait times regularly. They update it about 1-2 an hour and can be a massively helpful tool. Remember that you can only see the ride wait times once your phone's GPS tells the app you are in the park, so don't expect to be able to plan before you get there

3. The price of a dining plan is about the price of two full meals there. If you expect to eat at least 2 meals, you'll at least break even, and anything on top is a bonus. Remember that you can only get an entree once per hour, but everything else is unlimited. It also only works at 5 locations, so don't expect it to work at things like snack stands.

4. 1-2 covered that, but as I said before, it's possible if you do things right.

5. Child swap works by bringing your child up to the ride attendant at the front of any ride they are too short to ride. They will issue you a card where half of your party is sent up the Quick Queue or ride exit while the other half waits out of the line somewhere with the kids. Then once the first party is done, the second half uses the same card to do the same thing. Usually, if the wait time is under 30 minutes, they'll send you up immediately. If not, they will give you a time on the card to come back to the attraction. You can return to the ride anytime after that time, so don't be worried about getting there right on time. Also, you can get cards from as many attractions at a time as you want, so you can take a lap around the park and get child swap cards, then take another lap around and ride them with minimal wait. This also means that you don't have to deal with lockers (bags can't go in line at most rides) as there will always be someone out of the line to hold them.

1. It won't be impossible, but it might be tight. If you want to ride everything multiple times, it will be necessary, but if you do things right, you can do it, especially with they way child swap works there. More on that later.

2. Best thing would be do everything ride-wise that you can on the first evening, then do rides again in the morning and evening of the 4th, and do shows in the middle of the day when the crowds are the worst. Currently, the best plan of attack is to rope drop Cheetah Hunt, then go to Montu, then go either to SheiKra or Falcon's Fury (check the BGT app to make sure the one you choose isn't down before going to it and wasting time. If one is down, go to the other one) and then work you way around the park in the direction you chose. Now this is before Cobra's Curse has opened. Once it does, it might be best to go there first, then to Cheetah, or it might be best to do Cheetah first still and then go to Cobra on the way to Montu as the morning crowd flow might change. Once it opens, check back here to see which is the best way to do it. If you somehow kiss rope dropping Cheetah and it has a long line once you get there, skip it and come back between 2-3. That's the slowest time of day there as everyone moves on to lunch and the back of the park. Once again, check the BGT app wait times regularly. They update it about 1-2 an hour and can be a massively helpful tool. Remember that you can only see the ride wait times once your phone's GPS tells the app you are in the park, so don't expect to be able to plan before you get there

3. The price of a dining plan is about the price of two full meals there. If you expect to eat at least 2 meals, you'll at least break even, and anything on top is a bonus. Remember that you can only get an entree once per hour, but everything else is unlimited. It also only works at 5 locations, so don't expect it to work at things like snack stands.

4. 1-2 covered that, but as I said before, it's possible if you do things right.

5. Child swap works by bringing your child up to the ride attendant at the front of any ride they are too short to ride. They will issue you a card where half of your party is sent up the Quick Queue or ride exit while the other half waits out of the line somewhere with the kids. Then once the first party is done, the second half uses the same card to do the same thing. Usually, if the wait time is under 30 minutes, they'll send you up immediately. If not, they will give you a time on the card to come back to the attraction. You can return to the ride anytime after that time, so don't be worried about getting there right on time. Also, you can get cards from as many attractions at a time as you want, so you can take a lap around the park and get child swap cards, then take another lap around and ride them with minimal wait. This also means that you don't have to deal with fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo (bags can't go in line at most rides) as there will always be someone out of the line to hold them.

Thank you for the advice.

There are a few attractions we plan on skipping like the mouse coaster and the water rides(except for the log flume) unless we have time. The parent swap looks like a big help for our situation. We hope that cobras curse is open by then as it looks like a unique coaster.

I think one major thing to account for is the weather. In July, it rained and thundered pretty much every day in the afternoon and everything would close. When it does rain for a while, the park CLEARS out. If you're able to wait it out (and it's far enough before closing to reasonably assume the rides might reopen) then you should have hardly any lines at all when the weather clears in the evening. During bad weather, I suggest finding an area to bunker down (don't try to walk around the park if there's lightning in the area) and seeing the shows like Iceploration and Opening Night Critters as well as some of the covered animal exhibits (like Curiosity Caverns and Jambo Junction) and probably getting a late lunch or early dinner.

Also, Kumba and Montu (and often Sheikra too) are walk-ons in the evening, so more incentive to stick around if you can.

Quick question that hopefully someone can answer quickly. I am going to BGT tomorrow for the first time! I have the quick queue unlimited and I received a confirmation email. Do I have to print out my tickets? Or is there some way I can digitally use them at the park? I'm in Florida on Spring Break and don't exactly have a printer handy so if someone could reply to this ASAP that would be great! (Also I am open to suggestions as far as which seats to ride in for each ride goes)!

Quick question that hopefully someone can answer quickly. I am going to BGT tomorrow for the first time! I have the quick queue unlimited and I received a confirmation email. Do I have to print out my tickets? Or is there some way I can digitally use them at the park? I'm in Florida on Spring Break and don't exactly have a printer handy so if someone could reply to this ASAP that would be great! (Also I am open to suggestions as far as which seats to ride in for each ride goes)!

I'm not sure about using your phone at the gate, but you should be able to go to the ticket window and have them pull up your info. You should have a confirmation number in your email that you can give them and they can print your tickets.

You just need to write the confirmation number and take it to guest services inside the park ( which also takes care of all of the check ins, redemptions etc.) They will give you the wristbands there. Worth it this week cause I went yesterday and everything was between 45 minutes to 90 minutes.

If you have.a 1 day ticket, download them onto your phone and they will scan it at the turnstiles.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts after my visit:

After seeing how much of the Gwazi area is still Gwazi themed, I somehow doubt the saga of Tampa's finest ass massager is quite over.

Cheetah Hunt, Kumba, Sheikra and Montu might be the best "big 4" coasters at any park.

Scorpion desperately needs another train. It's wait time shouldn't be nearly as long as it is.

RIP Rhino Rally.

Yesterday I had the chance to stop in to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay to check out this year's Busch Gardens Food & Wine Festival, and in the process I was able to see just how good Cobra's Curse is looking as it nears its opening for later this year! The Food & Wine Festival has improved leaps and bounds from last year with tons of new items, several new booths and even the returning dishes being significantly better than I remembered them previously. As for Cobra's Curse, the ride is fully built out at this point but work continues on the ride's station and surrounding areas. The ride stands out in the Egypt section of the park, but also blends in organically with its close calls to existing structures of the land and Montu. The ride is visible from throughout the park and it looks like it could be the sleeper hit of 2016's new coaster list!

image.thumb.jpeg.ba23328779e4c6929efc5863290b7432.jpeg

Cobra's Curse has taken its place on the skyline of Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

image.thumb.jpeg.60cd43ada5f19a6a9a60f0d0b26c622f.jpeg

How about this paparazzi topiary?

image.thumb.jpeg.bdda4f7ca7aeefb3536a85581b9ccaf9.jpeg

The real reason I came to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay... FOOD!

image.thumb.jpeg.029629c10b9943374696d73a8b1bd30a.jpeg

It makes quite a statement from the outside of the park.

image.thumb.jpeg.a0fda7a366cce3a24ccb148478a6408b.jpeg

Busch Gardens uses this even as another opportunity to show just how talented their horticulture department is, with larger than life topiaries like this located throughout the park.

image.thumb.jpeg.fc2f636188f2b72c6d7faf98e8ba8770.jpeg

Similar to Epcot's setup, you order outside of the event booths and pickup your food with your receipt. This year there are 11 food booths and 16 beverage booths to choose from.

image.thumb.jpeg.25e7a1fe2282138e1daa699cbd3af40f.jpeg

Outside of the Garden Gate Cafe is this awesome octopus topiary!

image.thumb.jpeg.c5760c23707a53064b6ca3bd476662e2.jpeg

One of the new "food booths" this year was actually hosted in the Garden Gate Cafe...

image.thumb.jpeg.8d7510f9d1fdefd4b0770252d096509b.jpeg

The Coconut Shrimp Cigars over a Jicama Slaw with a Horseradish Marmalade were a wonderful start to this year's tastings (and significantly tastier than they were last year)!

image.thumb.jpeg.c455393fcce2c2cef14930f737189ceb.jpeg

New to this year's menu was the Goat Cheese Polenta Cake. It is a good thing I love goat cheese AND polenta, because this was wonderfully executed!

image.thumb.jpeg.f861912036297196730e6c5ab2f2f33c.jpeg

The former Hospitality House for Busch Gardens Tampa Bay serves normal food items alongside several special dishes for the Food and Wine Festival.

image.thumb.jpeg.8dd43535ce6970af5373d824f436bd6a.jpeg

The Tuna Poke from the Garden Gate Cafe was fantastic!

image.thumb.jpeg.01355dfb98c12b6b170de7f3c079f353.jpeg

A surprise win for the event was the Pheasant Sausage Flatbread.

image.thumb.jpeg.541024705effecf185d8780218a5a4a7.jpeg

A significant portion of the Food and Wine Festival takes place along the path to Gwazi Park, where the events' concert series is also hosted each day of the festival (which is run on weekends only). It is certainly strange walking in the shadow of Gwazi without seeing trains rush by.

image.thumb.jpeg.7f469e2a7624294dc1dfde44f6cec72f.jpeg

The Pan-Fried Cod Provencal atop Fennel Risotto was nice and light.

image.thumb.jpeg.96743715f27df43badf8396d2450c697.jpeg

The Bison Slider was served on a brioche bun with cartelized onions, sriracha ketchup and a thick strip of bacon. The combination? YUM!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.f325e54f25c1ead73fa48f9b2085f309.jpeg

The Roasted Pork Belly was wonderfully cooked and required no knife to cut.

image.thumb.jpeg.a84327d9664a2c4691b1144e259de6f7.jpeg

The Potato and Goat Cheese Tart was a returning dish from last year and it did not disappoint.

image.thumb.jpeg.e4a7c2c73026817872ccd5387903f690.jpeg

The Cheese Plate from the Lighter Fare Canteen featured Port Salute, Cabot Cheddar, Bel Paese and Buttermilk Blue Cheese. I could eat tons of that blue cheese without pause if given the chance!

image.thumb.jpeg.33fbaa6d33469a88fcf841baf2dc64d6.jpeg

Cigar City was one of the featured breweries at the Food and Wine Festival, and the Strawberry Shortcake Strawberry Lager caught my eye... It was DELICIOUS!

image.thumb.jpeg.66b5d7e0cc35cd757e03773980f725d5.jpeg

The Duck Taco was a solid addition to the year's lineup.

image.thumb.jpeg.3f7c1811edaa6d4d69115b55787e8720.jpeg

The Pan-Seared Salmon Cake was one of my favorites from last year's inaugural season and I was thrilled to hear it was returning. This thing was ridiculously tasty!

image.thumb.jpeg.efe7e034e7b8e587f232dc423895852f.jpeg

The Beef Short Rib had an OK flavor with its Strawberry Wine Habanero BBQ sauce but I found it to be a little less tender than I would expect for short rib.

image.thumb.jpeg.2258e1aa838977256379dbed517f21ee.jpeg

The Lobster Ravioli was a hit for our group.

image.thumb.jpeg.adf4d8e46b33e9e712a2b663bc5b9326.jpeg

The only item we wouldn't recommend out of all that we tried was the Buffalo Chicken & Blue Mac & Cheese. It didn't really have a cheese taste--more like blue cheese dressing in which the pasta was tossed, and then drizzled with buffalo sauce and chicken. This was the only item that was sampled that was intentionally not finished.

image.thumb.jpeg.e5d2a923800710a3f58b09a42f2c4a3e.jpeg

The Bacon Mac & Cheese on the other hand was a much dish to be sampled.

image.thumb.jpeg.af526da7e8d974ced52a28076aba692d.jpeg

A look at the main stretch of the event.

image.thumb.jpeg.eeee6455b600313d7d1151e85d46b43a.jpeg

Throughout the event set up, themed shops and games are also available for you to enjoy.

image.thumb.jpeg.289c5c7c2ca4bc37f0567bc051b3240b.jpeg

Busch Gardens' sister park SeaWorld was represented at the event with this topiary.

image.thumb.jpeg.b3da1f4b09cbc4f128243d061be68ef3.jpeg

Alcoholic Frozen Cherry Lemondade? Yes, please!

image.thumb.jpeg.6ef19ae15cf30f09fdb93c0ffd14667d.jpeg

Even the topiaries have improved when compared to how they were last year.

image.thumb.jpeg.b42015b5984f9683584c317759077281.jpeg

The Green Peppercorn-Seared Hangar Steak had a great spice to it.

image.thumb.jpeg.ee131d7f814c224015c3e40ab72f727b.jpeg

The Bacon Wrapped Prawns were arguably the least Kosher item on the event's menu, but it was worth the sin!

image.thumb.jpeg.73b378b8a5a87db54926e092339e52a5.jpeg

Founders Brewing Company's Rubaeus caught my eye, and it was well worth the sampling!

image.thumb.jpeg.f663c2f558d4b28cc7ebe751f1b40347.jpeg

Signs are placed next to each topiary with a list of "ingredients" that make up the art, in case you decide to make one at home.

image.thumb.jpeg.5a604d62b37469c2dbf507786cccc84c.jpeg

Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?

image.thumb.jpeg.0f93142a7e3668565be339510fee4513.jpeg

The enchanted fountain statue has returned as well, and she has a newer, more open location to host all of those that stop and stare (she had quite the crowd both times I saw her).

image.thumb.jpeg.133ef5f381e74eb84a886678120d274c.jpeg

More great topiaries throughout the park!

image.thumb.jpeg.de9431b68cb901c9c02a6cd8fb29f147.jpeg

Oh right... They have crazy fun rides here too!

image.thumb.jpeg.d914ee4a3e959c5e84988342d7941cff.jpeg

That snake is just massive!

image.thumb.jpeg.320c2e9822bab16cb4ee8917de8e103a.jpeg

Taking the train throughout the park, you get an up-close look at the progress over at Cobra's Curse.

image.thumb.jpeg.d620b054ab14c3cbe90eab81fc171b02.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.563e25606fa135c12ec06bef55b8bac8.jpeg

Look at that turn!

image.thumb.jpeg.34b67ab647a90d16cd68775440bacfb7.jpeg

The ride interacts heavily with the layout of the train.

image.thumb.jpeg.0bf099164b5aabcb8d26cdc740bfde9f.jpeg

This is going to be such a fun coaster!

image.thumb.jpeg.8ee911002dc827159aff565369522999.jpeg

Some of these track maneuvers will make riding a spinning coaster so much more fun.

image.thumb.jpeg.51f90afe15d0cbcb1707b9e7b25db5df.jpeg

The spinning coaster car our front is still in place.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b61fa7f1eb39607d7af9e0c356af20d.jpeg

Cobra's Curse can be seen on the train from as far back at the Edge of Africa section of the park.

image.thumb.jpeg.1488b11077d43a56e675337004fa1ddf.jpeg

We can't forget about Montu!

image.thumb.jpeg.54621ee661a854430dd5a1696043bf1e.jpeg

The future entrance of Cobra's Curse is still being worked on.

image.thumb.jpeg.f825e2c1de3aabf5c3157b7d014a440d.jpeg

This ride looks fantastic!

image.thumb.jpeg.17090a450424a90e5f90341c452d9076.jpeg

The old King Tut's Tomb walkthrough attraction has been repurposed to serve as the entrance to the new ride, as well as to play host to a small display of snakes while queuing for the ride.

image.thumb.jpeg.cac6e356fc072184c8e3ea921079dafd.jpeg

I love how the ride interacts with the normal Busc h G

image.thumb.jpeg.ed0a766004f5ee0f49a33bcdc231b2f5.jpeg

Looks great!

image.thumb.jpeg.2c79c4b723d48b50d14cfe70816b0660.jpeg

The top of the elevator lift is ready to go...

image.thumb.jpeg.f336270a1fb19cb339b9ee2f5a9a5f79.jpeg

And can be seen from anywhere within the Egypt section of the park.

image.thumb.jpeg.c1efefc8a7059110b1e630af23715b23.jpeg

The ride's lift hill comes very close to Montu's immelman loop and crosses over one of the stone archways of Egypt.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Thanks for this report, Adam!

We really enjoyed doing the Food & Wine last year, although a lot of the food we tried was meh to decent. Glad to hear that the offerings have expanded and that the food quality is better.

And Cobra's Curse is looking sensational...although maybe not as sensational as that Bacon Mac & Cheese!

Damn, reading through this report while being hungry was a mistake! So much great looking food, particularly the Bison Slider and the Bacon Mac & Cheese looks soooooo tasty!

Great to also see some new perspectives on Cobra's Curse, really looks like a solid addition to BGT!