TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

The first thing you should do is go here and see the scheduled ride closures.

Since the park is open 365 days a year, sometimes they need to schedule extended downtime to maintain the rides. We always plan around that. For example... don't go to the park May 2 - 6 when Sheikra is closed or ESPECIALLY September 6 - 16 when Kumba (probably the best ride in the park) is closed.

Locals can tell you about crowd levels but start on that page and make sure none of the coasters are scheduled to be down when you want to visit.

I'll be at BGT First week of April. Any particular day from the 3rd to the 6th (Sun to Wed) that is usually best to visit? Also, trying to remember what everyone has said about ride order, Cheetah Hunt first? Then Montu?

Tuesday and Wednesday will be the least busy days to go for you. And yeah, get there before opening and go to Cheetah Hunt to beat the crowds, then head over to Montu, then go to Falcon's Fury, which you should get to just as it opens, as it opens 30 minutes after the park does. Also, remember that you have to put bags in a locker before getting in line if you bring them, and the new ones are an hourly rate, so consider either putting everything in a fanny pack, which is allowed on the rides, or just packing my light, as it will slow you down, and with how quickly Cheetah Hunt and Montu's lines build in the morning, it can be the difference between 1 ride or 3.

That's probably what i would do. Cheetah Hunt, Montu, Sky Ride then hit up the back of the park before anyone gets back there.

This is what I did when I visited in early October last year. Hit Cheetah right at opening and rode it 3-4 times without little to no wait. Then I rode Montu twice and took the Skyride to the other side of the park. Sheikra and Kumba were walk-ons to 1 train waits all day. I rode Falcon's Fury 10 times in a row in a little over an hour. The log flume is nothing special but the Congo Rapids ride is a lot a of fun. If you can visit the park during the school year on a weekday, you should have similar results. If Cobra's Curse is open by the time you visit, I would ride it in between Cheetah and Montu. Around 5pm I made my way back to Cheetah and rode it a few more times until the park closed at 6pm.

It would be cool to see it reborn and have a single circuit two lift design like Twisted Colossus.

I wonder if they are waiting for RMC to be available to do that? Another possibility would be for GCI to come in a do a re-tracking like they are doing with GhostRider at Knott's. It seems to me that they are looking at these possibilities, otherwise I think they would've demolished it already.

It would be cool to see it reborn and have a single circuit two lift design like Twisted Colossus.

I wonder if they are waiting for RMC to be available to do that? Another possibility would be for GCI to come in a do a re-tracking like they are doing with GhostRider at Knott's. It seems to me that they are looking at these possibilities, otherwise I think they would've demolished it already.

I agree. If BGW ends up getting an RMC next season (unlikely) then I'd assume they would RMC Gwazi. If not it isn't crazy if they go back to GCI.

I wouldn't want them to start any construction near Gwazi. You never know the things that could be unearthed.

... I'll show myself out.

Too soon, bro. Too soon.

Too soon for what? I was making a joke about their Haunt maze.

I want to apologize in advance for this wall of text. This is a trip report. Sad and happy at times. May the G-Force be with you.

SO, I was surprised by my father with a trip to Busch Gardens. Well, he donated the money, and said "Go". I had not planned to go to Busch on this trip. I was only here for a funeral. My Cousin died in a motorcycle accident on February 25th. It was determined that he was not at fault. His name was Mathew, and he just turned 19. That day.

The funeral was on Friday. We are doing okay.

So! I suggested that Mathew's mother and older brother go with me. Busch Gardens was OUR place. So, we went to Busch yesterday. Man, I love that park. The events in this trip report are in no particular order.

5 of us ended up going. My mother, Mathew's mom, her oldest son, my other cousin(Matts Aunt), and myself. I was the single rider, because I wanted them all to ride together.

Everything was a walk on most of the day actually. For a Sunday. Our longest line was 20 minutes just after nightfall on Cheetah Hunt. Our night ride was amazing! The sky was so clear, and was the first thing I noticed right after the first launch as we turned over the former Clydesdale barn. The 360 degree view on top of the figure 8 element was amazing.

Mathew's favorite roller coaster is Montu . It didn't seem as fast as usual to me. The trims and MCBR did not close on the train. We sailed right through the MCBR. It did sound much louder than I remember. Perhaps the new paint made it seem louder. The four of them rode in the front, and I as usual ride in my spot in the back, but on the same train. I was not let in on this PRIOR to boarding, but when the train crested the lift hill they yelled mathew's name.

I really love how they made Serengeti Express goes under Cobra's Curse. It runs under and nearly parallel to Cobra's MCBR. I am looking forward to experiencing this roller coaster.

Falcon's Fury is simply the best drop tower that I personally have ridden. I rode twice in a row on Sunday. (17 total rides.) Walk on for the first ride, then one cycle wait for the second ride.

SheiKra was just as smooth as it was when it opened in 2005. Was quite tired walking up all those stairs...LOL USUALLY when I go, the line is down the stairs. We had a 3 train wait for the front row. We had first time SheiKra riders, and did not want to subject them to the powerful thrust of airtime in the back, otherwise it would have been a walk on.

Took a nostalgic trip back in time. Took a spin on my first roller coaster. Scorpion. Was a lot smoother this time. Both trains were at the ride. One was on the side track obviously.

Sand Serpent was fun as usual.

Got 2 rides on my baby! Kumba is simply amazing. It was a walk on as well. My family waited for the front row. I rode, then went around and rode the same train as them for my second ride. The cobra roll has developed a bump on the up side, and at the same spot on the down side. I forgive her though. Hands up and through the trees at 60 mph. It's time for them to trim trees at Kumba.

Tried to go get a couple more rides on Kumba before we headed to the front of the park, but as we got there, it was E-Stopped so they could search for someone's phone. Busch seriously needs do what we do at Banshee. "We will turn it in at Lost n Found at the end of the night if we find it at all." Then the ride faulted after they restarted it.

After 20 minutes, we headed to Timbuktopia. Timbuktu rolls of the tongue better than Pantopia.

We bought the All Day Dining wristband, as usual. Immediately we noticed a change. There is a bar code now. The wrist bands are scanned at the registers. The other change is you may only eat one entree every hour. However, you can get unlimited drinks and sides every time you go through the line.

We had Dessert Grill. It is more of a food court type setting with Italian, Chinese, American, etc. 5 choices I think. Then we ate at Crown Colony. We always sit outside on the deck to watch the animals. Such a great view of the Serengeti. Bengal Bistro was awesome as usual. I got the Ham sandwich this time. That was amazing. Then we finished the day with the Zambea Smokehouse. I got the Brisket Platter. so awesome.

We did not take part in the Food and Wine Festival, but I am sure it was amazing. The food smelled amazing. Wish I had taken a little extra cash with me.

In 2014 we lost our grandmother on this side of the family, and we went to Busch the following week. My Grandmother's favorite ride IS Congo River Rapids. She would ride it, but she got more pleasure from shooting us with the water cannons. She had it down! She could get us all soaked! On that trip, we made it all the way to the cave nearly completely dry. Then the 3 of us who went on that trip, got completely soaked under the waterfall.

Like I said. Busch Gardens is OUR place. That's where we go.

Thanks for reading.

It would suck if they torn down gwazi cause it was such a great coaster because it was a dueler, & florida dosent have barley any woodies except white lightning, it would be very nice if they retracked gwazi into rmc, but whatever makes them happy!

I wouldn't want them to start any construction near Gwazi. You never know the things that could be unearthed.

... I'll show myself out.

Too soon, bro. Too soon.

Too soon for what? I was making a joke about their Haunt maze.

I know, I got it. Unearthed was my favorite house at Howl-O-Scream last year, but just... too soon.

I heard rumors that Gwazi was going to be torn down this year. However it will be torn down next year due to the cost of deconstruction... I have no words on what will replace it, but Busch Gardens does have plans on what they want with it.