TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Pheonix is staying its getting work done or budget cuts shut it down for now.

The new attraction in Egypt will be a family coaster to basically fill the void left by rhino rally and it will go out over the plains.

Its weird that they are adding a family launch after adding a "family launch coaster." A Mack Spinning Coaster or something else would make more sense to me. Or a Justice League African Themed Shooter Dark Ride

A Mack Launch would make more logic at SeaWorld.

I've also heard a rumor that Mack would be the mfg. for the next coaster. I would be curious if they add an Aurthur-type ride similar to the one at (awesome) Europa Park. It would be the 'first' of its kind in the USA and BGT could incorporate a cool theme for another family-style coaster and indoors!

Just a thought.

Nothing wrong with the park adding another family coaster. I mean they do have three giant 54" coasters and they just got the 54" Falcon's Fury and they just took out two 48" coasters so another family coaster sounds great.

Edited by SharkTums

1 Tornado at Bakken-style Intamin Spinning coaster please. Thank you in advance BGT.

That would be amazing but what I have been hearing lately is that it will be a Mack. But I think it could be possible that we will be seeing a Intamin spinner because they have a. Good relationship with Bush Gardens. I think the main problem with an Intamin is that it can't hold a lot of people. Could it handle the parks crowds?

^There has to be something penciled in for long term-development. That area of land currently holds two wooden coasters, a concert arena, the open space where an outdoor theater once stood, and then another blank area of grass about 1/3rd the size of Gwazi. The space is big enough to fit anything really, including one or two entirely new lands.

Both Intamin and Mack have good relationships with Sea World IMO. Their products will both fit perfectly to the park. But to be honest, I guess 80% of people will say they are more excited if it's from Intamin.

After the problems Busch had with Cheetah Hunt and especially Falcons Fury, I doubt the relationship between SeaWorld/Busch and Intamin is that great..

After the problems Busch had with Cheetah Hunt and especially Falcons Fury, I doubt the relationship between SeaWorld/Busch and Intamin is that great..

Downtime aside, Intamin delivered two world class attractions to Busch Gardens Tampa, both of which run flawlessly now and rate highly in guest satisfaction scores. General park guests hardly realize now that either ride had delays from when they were scheduled to open. The industry isn't as black and white with Intamin (or any other company for that matter) when it comes to delays. At the end of the day, if Intamin delivers the quality product they were contracted to deliver (and they always do), then the parks are satisfied, even if the delays hurt their bottom line in the short term. Intamin wouldn't still be around if people got fed up with their more common construction delays... And considering Falcon's Fury was the first of its kind, I think everyone underestimated how much test and adjust time it was going to need before opening.

Maurer-Sohne delivered Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit extremely late as well, fully uninstalling and reinstalling the lift hill track, increasing supports, re-sealing cracked footers and assisting Universal in retooling the X-Car chassis in light of recent maintenance issues and roughness in similar rides... People still buy rides from Maurer-Sohne. Companies aren't remembered for their up front construction troubles--they are remembered for the end product they deliver that lasts far longer than the meager downtime that no one remembers or even knows about at the end of the day.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^Well said Adam. I'm sick of all these enthusiasts who think they know everything. How many times did we hear the argument that Cedar Fair would never buy another Intamin ride? Pretty sure at least eight times...after they kept buying more rides from them!!!

All companies and contractors fight on all levels of different business. They threaten, they sue, and they still end up working together again!

Yep, I said Busch Gardens and Intamin will never work together again...

Unexpected delays and mechanical issues cost money, not only because those things are costly in themselves but because delays mean holding off on earning revenue. I think it's reasonable to assume Busch Gardens would, despite their current standing with Intamin (be it good or bad or whatever), want to go with a "safer" install for their next big project.

Although I am by no means an insider, I would think that they would go with whichever company can build them what they have in mind for the best price. They have relationships with a lot of different compaines - and I don't think that any of them are particularly "bad" from a ride installation aspect.

David

Unexpected delays and mechanical issues cost money, not only because those things are costly in themselves but because delays mean holding off on earning revenue. I think it's reasonable to assume Busch Gardens would, despite their current standing with Intamin (be it good or bad or whatever), want to go with a "safer" install for their next big project.

Delays cost money in every aspect, yes, HOWEVER I'm pretty sure BGT (And every other park for that matter) take this into consideration when building a prototype. Toyota has safety recalls all the time yet is still 1 of the top vehicle manufacturers.........

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all of the delays are due to the ride manufacturer. Some delays are caused by the park and/or their contractors themselves! IE: Crane scheduling, unforeseen building site issues, etc...

Also, Who's to say that BGT wasn't compensated by said party that was responsible for the delay? If I had a contractor that delayed a project but compensated me, why should I be upset?

But let's be real here... Do you think that anything Busch Gardens Tampa has built from scratch has been a "safe" install? This isn't some family owned park that can't afford a few delays due to a limited season. Busch Gardens operates 365 days a year and doesn't rely on a month or two or even three to make up the bulk of its revenue. None of the rides they've built from scratch in the last two decades have been conventional or safe... Kumba was the first coaster with a lift that threaded the loop. Montu broke records as the tallest and fastest inverted coaster at the time it opened. Rhino Rally had a breakaway-bridge element that floated proprietary jeeps down river. Gwazi held the record for the most coaster fly-bys and was the largest and fastest double-wooden coaster in the Southeast US. Sheikra was the tallest dive coaster in the world, the first to feature a water brake/splashdown element and later the first floorless dive coaster. Cheetah Hunt had a one-of-a-kind support tower built for its unique movements that also supported the ride concept's aesthetics... Not to mention the fact that they had to shave down the quite-old Sky Ride by several feet and portions of cable to accommodate the ride's maneuver over the top. Falcon's Fury took a standard drop tower and gave it a first-of-it's-kind 90 degree face down element.

Busch Gardens Tampa has never really played it "safe" with their rides, shows, environments, animal exhibits... They are a cut above because they don't play it safe and they risk the delays to end up with a far superior product.

Edited by jedimaster1227

^Which for me is the whole point of why Busch Gardens is awesome. Everything is a cut above the usual regional park.

Which is why I am totally disappointed with the new, exceptionally low capacity clone at Williamsburg. It's way too safe and not up to Busch's historical standards. Even though it will be themed and a good ride, it really seems out of character.