TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

“No decisions have been made about what lies ahead for Gwazi or for the future plans of that area of Busch Gardens,” said Park President Jim Dean.

This line just sticks out for me. In one way, they're confirming Gwazi is closing but at the same time not necessarily saying that Gwazi is gone for good. They're playing coy for this announcement, but I find it particularly odd that they're so openly leaving the door open for Gwazi as opposed to simply saying that it is closing and a replacement will be announced in the future... Maybe the structure is salvageable and something special (RMC, please) can be done to the ride after all...

Well... Amy from RMC did mention this in the Q&A on Facebook:

Any park can have our IBox or "IronHorse" system. Six Flags has just been so great to work with and they are keeping us busy! But, there are projects at other parks coming up in the next 2 years that utilize our IBox Track.

Busch Gardens seems like an even likelier candidate for conversion. Of course, it's still speculative at this point.

There is also the possibility that the ride needs too much work to keep it going right now, and they don't have the money to either fix it, tear it down, or replace it with anything.

Ding Ding Ding... we have a winner.

But in the long run when Sea World / Busch gets out of this rut I'm sure they'll replace it with something awesome so this is still a good thing. I just hope they don't leave it sitting there too long as it would be a bit of an eyesore after awhile.

I wonder how people would feel if they replaced Gwazi with the coaster BGW is getting (that's not been announced) this year. I mean, it would still be the only coaster of its type for over 800 miles.

Also, I have a question. I plan to go to BGT this summer. I have to go either on Friday, June 19 or Sunday, June 21. Which would most likely be more crowded? I'm worried about getting to do everything because the park closes at 7 PM those days, surprisingly.

I wonder how people would feel if they replaced Gwazi with the coaster BGW is getting (that's not been announced) this year. I mean, it would still be the only coaster of its type for over 800 miles.

Also, I have a question. I plan to go to BGT this summer. I have to go either on Friday, June 19 or Sunday, June 21. Which would most likely be more crowded? I'm worried about getting to do everything because the park closes at 7 PM those days, surprisingly.

In these days of quick queue systems that parks can charge you extra for, new rides with low capacity just mean more income.

I don't think you'll have any major issues on either day. Get Cheetah Hunt out of the way and proceed in a logical order to traverse the layout and the higher capacity of most of the other rides should mean a smooth day. I haven't done Falcons Fury yet though, so I'm not sure what the wait on that would be.

I think it's amazing to have three pages of "omg it's a great ride defense" when there was one comment about how it's a bit underwhelming.

Kind of sounds like most people have talked themselves into it, no? Admit it, we're coaster enthusiasts and we'd probably rather it be a 54 inch height requirement, 80 MPH, inverted top hat, 2 zero g rolls and airtime hills Maverick-level ride. We all know what Intamin can build.

But it's not, it is a general crowd-pleaser, and it's exactly what the park ordered. That's fine.

Good post, and its funny that most assume I wanted it to be another Maverick (which I did not even like) when I was really hoping for more Magnum.

Yeah... sure... you might want to take that off of your description.

Wooden coasters need to be maintained over time, I am sure it was a decent ride for a few years after it opened. I don't think the park did much track work and the Florida heat only adds to the problem. Its not GCI's fault that the park didn't maintain the ride.

A lot of the lines in the closing announcement stand out to me too, sounds a lot like what SFNE did for Cyclone. It would also be a massive waste of wood to rip it all down. It has a decent layout too they could do something cool with the layout and add a few high fives, zero gs, and more. Remember Alan Schilke said he has a lot more ideas and this could be one, a dueling coaster.

There is also the possibility that the ride needs too much work to keep it going right now, and they don't have the money to either fix it, tear it down, or replace it with anything.

That's what some said about Colossus amidst all the rumors and fantasizing over an RMC rebirth. There aren't the same rumors with Gwazi, but there isn't the same following that SFMM & Colossus have either. It's certainly possible that Gwazi could be a potential RMC target.

To me, it simply looks like BGT just doesn't quite know what direction they want to take yet.

That's what some said about Colossus amidst all the rumors and fantasizing over an RMC rebirth. There aren't the same rumors with Gwazi, but there isn't the same following that SFMM & Colossus have either. It's certainly possible that Gwazi could be a potential RMC target.

To me, it simply looks like BGT just doesn't quite know what direction they want to take yet.

There are very clearly rumors that Gwazi is a victim of tighter budgets. Screamscape pretty clearly posted exactly that when the rumors it was closing came back in force around the time of the SEAS stock holders announcement. It wasn't even that big a surprise, because Gwazi being closed down to save money had been rumored for over a year prior to that. Shutting down half the ride and building a handicapped platform over the station for it seemed pretty obvious too.

I think it's amazing to have three pages of "omg it's a great ride defense" when there was one comment about how it's a bit underwhelming.

I think it's because we've heard it over and over and over and over again from selfish coaster geeks that Cheetah Hunt wasn't what THEY wanted. But seeing it have so many supporters is a nice change.

Kind of sounds like most people have talked themselves into it, no? Admit it, we're coaster enthusiasts and we'd probably rather it be a 54 inch height requirement, 80 MPH, inverted top hat, 2 zero g rolls and airtime hills Maverick-level ride. We all know what Intamin can build.

Not me. I was actually VERY happy when Busch didn't build a "Maverick Killer." They already had three VERY good 54 inch height requirement rides, two nice 42" rides, a kiddie coaster and really nothing of quality for the middle ground.

Cheetah Hunt was PERFECT. And I personally love it as I feel it rounds out their coaster collection and brings a near-perfect balance to their selection of coasters. And removing Gwazi will actually help IMPROVE the overall quality of the rides there.

And just like with Cheetah Hunt, I actually hope that the park replaces it with another 42" or 48" coaster that is accessible to younger ages because I feel that is what the park needs. I refer to Cheetah Hunt as "Florida's California Screamin'" (and I love that ride, too!) It's long, it launches, it has one inversion, has something for everyone, and all riders gets off smiling other than grumpy coaster geeks, and it's overall just a kick-ass ride every time I go on it!

BGT doesn't need a Maverick-Killer, it doesn't need a hyper coaster, it needs something for everyone, and THEN I feel they can build another "big ride."

Maverick was the perfect ride for Cedar Point, and Cheetah Hunt is the same for BGT. And I love them both equally for different reasons.

Edited by robbalvey

So I'm an enormous BGT fan and this is my first post on this site, and I think removing Gwazi is one of the best things they could do.... If they had the budget. With the ride photos being closed to tiger, it just got worse every visit. And with Gwazi park and the old critter castaways show open too, a gigantic not just coaster, but land could be built, and its sad to know thats not the case for now. I would be fine demolishing that entire section of the park besides the Garden Gate Cafe. Also with rhino rally closing for a possible coaster and tuts tomb for a possible dark ride and the old Akbar's Adventure Tours across, alot could be built at the park. Egypt and The gwazi area are probably the last places in the park that need in update in means of rides, and I hope down the road something incredible can be built. Hope Busch's attendance can really grow this year, they need it

I think it's because we've heard it over and over and over and over again from selfish coaster geeks that Cheetah Hunt wasn't what THEY wanted. But seeing it have so many supporters is a nice change.

Not me. I was actually VERY happy when Busch didn't build a "Maverick Killer." They already had three VERY good 54 inch height requirement rides, two nice 42" rides, a kiddie coaster and really nothing of quality for the middle ground.

Cheetah Hunt was PERFECT. And I personally love it as I feel it rounds out their coaster collection and brings a near-perfect balance to their selection of coasters. And removing Gwazi will actually help IMPROVE the overall quality of the rides there.

And just like with Cheetah Hunt, I actually hope that the park replaces it with another 42" or 48" coaster that is accessible to younger ages because I feel that is what the park needs. I refer to Cheetah Hunt as "Florida's California Screamin'" (and I love that ride, too!) It's long, it launches, it has one inversion, has something for everyone, and all riders gets off smiling other than grumpy coaster geeks, and it's overall just a kick-ass ride every time I go on it!

BGT doesn't need a Maverick-Killer, it doesn't need a hyper coaster, it needs something for everyone, and THEN I feel they can build another "big ride."

Maverick was the perfect ride for Cedar Point, and Cheetah Hunt is the same for BGT. And I love them both equally for different reasons.

I happened to see an ad for Falcon's Fury at SeaWorld Orlando, and they marketed it using two phrases: "Don't look down" and "The tallest free-standing drop tower". I expected "The world's first drop tower to tilt people at 90 degrees down". Who knows why they did their ad this way.

Because the GP would have no clue what they were talking about.

^After the major investment that was Falcon's Fury/Pantopia last year and the current financial standing and restructuring that SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment is undergoing, I'm not banking on anything major for 2015. I'm also very curious to see if whatever 2016 addition was intended for the park (construction would need to begin sometime this year) may be put on ice as well.

The first confirmed casualty of the cutbacks in the parks was the resumed closure of the Crown Colony Restaurant which had reopened around the beginning of November for the busy season. Gwazi is the next to go.

I just paid my first visit to BGT this past fall since the last time I was there, which was sometime during the Carter administration. Regarding Gwazi, I opted to not ride for two reasons - one is that I have a bad back, and I didn't want to throw it out of whack for my long drive home. Second, I was suffering from the flu (yes, I got the shot but apparently it doesn't offer much protection for this year's virus), and for those two reasons I passed on riding it. I'm not that much of a credit junkie, though if I had been feeling better I probably would have suffered thru one side of it. So yeah, another credit missed, but oh well.

But I did ride Cheetah Hunt. I was fully expecting a snooze-fest based on some enthusiasts' reactions to it, but I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, it's no heavy duty thrill ride, but it does have good pacing, and the inversion caught me off guard because I had forgotten that it had one. I was also worried about the OTSRs bashing me upside the head (as happened to me on Maverick) but thankfully that didn't happen. Actually, in some ways, Cheetah Hunt is IMO one of the most re-rideable coasters in the park (as said, I skipped Gwazi, not that it would have ever been a contender for re-rideability anyway, and Scorpion was closed for repairs when I was there).

As an aside, I also enjoyed Sheikra (obviously very similar to Griffon, the main difference I noticed is of course the theming and setting) and Montu (yes, this is indeed a testament to the potency of older B&M inverts - it sure did clear out my head for a few moments, anyway). Kumba was OK, but it didn't really impress me that much (in kind of a reverse to my feelings on Cheetah Hunt, I had higher expectations for this coaster and it failed to meet them). It is very photogenic and does fit well into the landscaping, though.

It is such a shame that Busch neglected this coaster to this point. It should have been an amazing, unique dueling experience and a much needed high capacity ride. GCI coasters are normally interesting and ride well. Racing/deuling coasters are always more exciting because you get the extra feel of speed of the opposing train.

This coaster is 100% the result of neglect and budget cutting (at the cost of the guest experience). First one side was closed, ruining the whole concept of the ride. Last time I was there they were only running 1 train out of 4. The loading operations were the most horrible of anywhere. When they did run 2 trains, they couldn't run two trains without looooooooong stacking so it was really no different than running 1.

The ride could be salvaged and made one of the best wooden rides out there (with newer style track), but it doesn't seem like Busch is interested in investing much in better guest experiences these days. The new coaster at Williamsburg is a small investment and it is not going to provide a great experience given its low capacity.