TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I think the first time I rode this was back in 2004. I didn't think it was that bad. In fact I remember getting off it and telling Robb exactly that. Probably because I had heard so many bad things about it I had low expectations going in. Still, even the last time I rode it last year. I didn't think it was awful. Anyway. I got the experience of riding with both trains. Oooooo! Think they will be able to sell the trains? I wonder who will take them? Does GCI refurb their trains and then resell them? Joe? Answers?

^From what I remember of our Q&A when the Millennium Flyers were added just before Cheetah Hunt opened, the GCI trains, like all other trains that Busch has for their coasters are maintained in-house with at least one train always in maintenance since it is a year-round park. That being said, with one full side of the ride having been closed for some time, it is likely that at least one if not several of the trains became spare parts and nothing more. I'd imagine that there are maybe two to three full trains that could be sold in used condition if Busch really bothered to try.

While Gwazi wasn't the worst wooden coaster I've been on, I'm not all that upset it's leaving. The roughness wasn't that bad honestly, but it felt so sluggish which really killed the pacing of the ride. It's a shame because I really like the layout, even though the one side was already closed when I rode it. At least I got the credit.

Goodbye Gwazi! I really wish that Busch was doing better financially...they could do so much to that area...if they had the money...I would like to see the entrance area to be redone (it is very small and can be very crowded) with new theming and a big giant ride where Gwazi is. It would be cool to see a really cool dark ride that like takes you through the different adventures in Africa and come face to face with giant animal animatronics...if only they had the money lol

Damn. This doesn't come as a surprise; there have been murmurs about this happening since before the Millennium Flyers replacement, but it's too bad. I'm not sure that I'll be back down there in time to catch it, which sucks because it was closed when I visited earlier this year. I've had many great rides on Gwazi- all of them while it ran the PTCs. The only thing I won't miss is the incredible ability of the staff to turn what should be a near walk-on into a 30 minute wait; it takes dedication and a laughably bad loading procedure. I'm not as bothered as some when a crew isn't running a 40 yard dash to dispatch trains, I don't even care if crew members appear to be wandering around aimlessly, but this was something entirely different and special.

What made this GCI so bad compared to others? What did GCI do differently?

Personally, I believe the problem with Gwazi was how it aged. Because Gwazi was built before the MF trains were released, it had to run PTC trains that beat the track to hell. Busch Gardens caught on and replaced the trains but this was too little too late.

While I am kind of sad about this news, I think everyone was just waiting for this after they closed Tiger. I don't agree with the decision to not demolish Gwazi immediately. Having an enormous empty plot of land in the middle of your park isn't nearly as embarrassing as having a massive duelling wooden roller coaster with a walled off entrance. That just screams cut backs.

I think the first time I rode this was back in 2004. I didn't think it was that bad. In fact I remember getting off it and telling Robb exactly that. Probably because I had heard so many bad things about it I had low expectations going in. Still, even the last time I rode it last year. I didn't think it was awful.

I rode it for the first time last month and felt the same way. Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, but nothing particularly memorable either. I don't have strong feelings either way to see this close, seems likely that it'll sit SBNO for a while since the park just opened a major new ride this year.

What made this GCI so bad compared to others? What did GCI do differently?

GCI made the mistake of building it at a park that was privately owned for years but then went Public so Blackstone could make a few bucks and then budget cuts and Blackfish and then more budget cuts and then more budget cuts til they could only operate 1 side and then closed it permanently.

I rode both sides in 2012 and was neutral about it. Wasn't the worst coaster in the park or in Florida.

How long until we can start guessing on ride replacements?

If it weren't RMC's exclusive contract with Six Flags we could have seen Busch Gardens Tampa announce a RMC wood/steel hybrid coaster called "Twisted Gwazi"!
There is NO CONTRACT. It's called RMC is still a new company, can only do a few coasters a year, and Six Flags were the ones who jumped on the hybrids first. No contract.

If it weren't RMC's exclusive contract with Six Flags we could have seen Busch Gardens Tampa announce a RMC wood/steel hybrid coaster called "Twisted Gwazi"!
There is NO CONTRACT. It's called RMC is still a new company, can only do a few coasters a year, and Six Flags were the ones who jumped on the hybrids first. No contract.

I think there's something where RMC can't built taller than Goliath for a few years.

I think there's something where RMC can't built taller than Goliath for a few years.

Yes, but that isn't a contract where they can only build hybrids at Six Flags parks.

Huh, weird choice not to take it out right away.

I wonder if they're juggling options that don't involve dismantling it? When Drachen Fire closed, they went through a ton of phases, but all the GP ever knew was that it was closed. First they were going to do a train redesign, then they tried to sell it, then they went back to a train redesign when there were no buyers, then they even considered reopening it as is and were cycling trains in 2001. Then they finally just took it down.

I wonder if Gwazi will share a similar fate? Or maybe they really just don't have the money to even take it out...

Well, that's it for me. I always wanted to re-visit the park, after my first 1987 visit.

When the coasters were still few, but they were good ones. So the (then) new wood

coasters were keeping my interest in returning. But not to be.

Just as well, I would have wanted to ride Gwazi when it/they were new and smooth.