TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

• 2 weeks later...
Has anybody heard rumors about BGT's 2016 project yet? I heard they're removing the CC theater today.

It will be a family focused attraction with a unique queue and animal exhibit. No Giga, No Hyper, No thrills... Still going to be a welcome addition and something BGT has needed in there line up for many years.

If you are going for two days, you will have no trouble doing everything in the park, even if it is likely busy due to Christmas week (which it will be reflected by the longer park hours and kids are out of school). The rain will let off those crowds a bit but basically every ride is outdoors.

Thunder/lightning will close everything down, heavy rain may shut rides, light rain or drizzle will not.

Indoor things: Most animal exhibits have sheltered spots, all shows other than Christmas from the Heart/Elmo (not sure on those) won't be affected by rain, All major restaurants have ample indoor or covered seating other than Bengal Bistro. Carousel and Bumper Cars are the only "indoor" rides but every coaster queue is covered.

This rumor just appeared on Screamscape and seems to be gaining a lot of traction on Social Media.

(12/19/14) BREAKING - (12/19/14) Screamscape sources tell us that GWAZI will be the latest item cut from the company budget. I’m told that the last day for guests to ride GWAZI will be Sunday, February 1st, 2015. After that it will silently close, but don’t look for it to be demolished anytime soon... as that will cost money that the park doesn’t have. Instead Gwazi will sit as a silent sleeping giant until the park is ready to redevelop the site for a new future attraction. I have reached out to the park for an official comment on this, but so far have heard nothing back to officially confirm this. So for now, it is a rumor, but you’ve got a few weeks left to get your last rides in before GWAZI goes extinct.

Screamscape

I hope this isn't true. While the ride is absolutely brutal I would expect better from this park than just leaving a wood coaster in such a prominent location just rotting away. I know they've done this before with Drachen Fire in Williamsburg and I know that the chain is in a lot of financial trouble but I wish they were able to cut costs in less high-profile ways (though I know they've already had quite a few layoffs and have probably explored hundreds of other options). This whole situation is just a shame.

^It's time for it to come down. It's been neglected for years, especially since A/B sold the parks. It would probably be cheaper to tear it down and start all over than to completely overhaul. It's also not that big a surprise....it's been rumored to close for quite awhile now.

According to that rumor (and I should stress that it's a rumor though Screamscape seems really confident in this one), there are no plans to tear it down... just to close it and leave it there. That's the part I don't really like... I'm all for removing this horrible death machine.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/busch_gardens_tampa.htm#General

Screamscape sources tell us that GWAZI will be the latest item cut from the company budget. I’m told that the last day for guests to ride GWAZI will be Sunday, February 1st, 2015. After that it will silently close, but don’t look for it to be demolished anytime soon... as that will cost money that the park doesn’t have. Instead Gwazi will sit as a silent sleeping giant until the park is ready to redevelop the site for a new future attraction. I have reached out to the park for an official comment on this, but so far have heard nothing back to officially confirm this. So for now, it is a rumor, but you’ve got a few weeks left to get your last rides in before GWAZI goes extinct.

UPDATE - Screamscape has confirmed with Busch Gardens Tampa that they do plan on closing GWAZI on or around February 1st, 2015. The exact date may change between now and then however, but the park does plan to make an official announcement with a confirmed final date near the start of the new year.

Gwazi is closing for good shortly after the new year begins... Get out to Busch Gardens Tampa ASAP if you care to ride what is left of it one last time!

Edited by jedimaster1227

Leaving a giant wood coaster sitting in the center of the park rotting seems like a horrible idea, but I guess if you want to look for A/B doing this sort of thing, Drachen Fire did just sit there forever before getting cut up. I still think it sounds desperate.

Leaving a giant wood coaster sitting in the center of the park rotting seems like a horrible idea, but I guess if you want to look for A/B doing this sort of thing, Drachen Fire did just sit there forever before getting cut up. I still think it sounds desperate.

You're being a bit unfair. They were actually trying to sell Drachen Fire to another park for some time, but there were no takers. A bald eagle also built a nest on the top of the lift hill, which means that the park couldn't touch it until the eagle and her young had left. After that, they sold it for scrap.

As for Gwazi, I propose a bonfire and smores.

Edited by cfc

Well, there you go. Now that I've rationalized A/B's actions there I can basically just post "SMDH" about Gwazi standing for some unknown period of time because they don't have the money to knock it down.

I do agree that I'd rather see them dismantle the ride now, rather than leaving it SBNO for who knows how long.

Well, I'm definitely glad I'm heading down to Tampa next week for the holidays. I never thought Gwazi was all that bad; I just think it's layout pales in comparison to GCIs built in the past 10 years. However, it sucks to see it go. The part of the rumor about it just sitting there indefinitely (rather than being torn down soon) doesn't seem to be confirmed yet, so I hope that isn't true.

Edited by BrianGC

I only ever was able to ride Gwazi in it's later years.

Was it ever decent?

The first time I ever rode it was in 2006, and though I'd heard bad things, I thought it was pretty good. Not top-ten material, but still enjoyable. However, every time I've ridden it since then, it was wretched.

I'm so sad to hear this. Really. I'm thankful I had to the chance to ride both Lion and Tiger when I went to Busch Gardens Tampa in 2008 for a first time visit to the park. Till this day Busch Gardens Tampa stands as my "most enjoyed" time at a theme park. No crowds. No lines. April 15, 2008 was a great day for me! I'm just upset that not only this park, but other parks are suffering as well. I just hope the best.