TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I got two rides on Falcon's Fury Sunday. The tilt at the top felt more than 90 degrees. The drop is comparable to an Itamin gyro drop. The swing back to normal position pulled some gs. All in all, it's the best drop tower I've ever been on, by far. FF is the first ride to give me the adrenaline shakes in years and that's not a bad thing.

--Kris

Maybe dumb question, but I've never been to Florida outside of the summers. I'm planning a trip to Busch Gardens and Universal Studios for my honeymoon and it will be in either November or January likely. Do they close any of the rides over these winter months? I imagine the water rides close? Anything else about this time of year that would make the experience less fun than if we waited till Spring?

Maybe dumb question, but I've never been to Florida outside of the summers. I'm planning a trip to Busch Gardens and Universal Studios for my honeymoon and it will be in either November or January likely. Do they close any of the rides over these winter months? I imagine the water rides close? Anything else about this time of year that would make the experience less fun than if we waited till Spring?

In January, certain water rides will be closed at Universal (Dudley and Popeye most likely), and likely all three of Busch's will be down. Certain rides that need annual maintenance will also go down in January as its one of the slowest, if not the slowest, months of the year. However, this largely depends on the ride and how much work it may need on it.

November is a bit warmer and busier (still not crowded) so most rides will probably be open, maybe with the exception of a water ride at Busch Gardens.

Overall, the Orlando rides are pretty solid about being open on a consistent basis, so just enjoy the low crowds and have a good time! And remember that maintenance refurbs are all subject to change schedule...nothing is 100%.

The two weeks in November between Halloween and Thanksgiving week are the deadest of the dead of the dead weeks on the schedule (except at Epcot, where Food and Wine goes from "Busy, hot, and 5 rows deep around the lagoon for Illuminations" to "Even better weather and normal crowds"). I would recommend that time over January, especially since, as OrlandoGuy noted, the water rides are closed in January since it is colder. Universal will probably not be refurbing anything and I myself am banking on wait times for Gringott's diving down to a regular 20-30 minutes.

Just noticed that this year's Christmastown event for Tampa is included with regular daytime admission and annual passes, it is not a separate hard ticketed event. Williamsburg is still a hard ticket event where passholders have to buy a separate admission ticket. Also the website says the park will close either 8pm or 9pm. Earlier than the previous two year's events. Wonder if the park will have as much to offer this year?

http://seaworldparks.com/buschgardens-tampa/events/christmas-town/

Catching up on the last few pages...

That coaster for sale isn't Scorpion - when that popped up last year I contacted the park directly and they said Scorpion isn't going anywhere.

Falcon's Fury bad luck continues - struck by lightning late last week and has been closed since Friday. Really wish they could catch a break on this one.

Definitely expect less things to see and do at this year's Christmas Town. With it being included in regular admission and closing earlier, there is no way we'll see the same level of quality as last year, sadly.

Since I'm visiting the park in a few days, any advice? Also, is their anywhere in the Tampa area where we could get coupons?

BGT has a lot of discounts going on. Your best bet is going to be purchasing a weekday ticket online or over the phone. It is $65 compare to $95 at the park. If you go on a weekend you can still get a discount $80, plus you can get a second day free (you have to visit guest relations before leaving to get second day free and it must be used within a 6 day period. )They also have a play and dine at $95 which will cover your food all day. I think that is a great deal. There are barely any outside coupons as they offer a lot of discounts. If anyone in your family is a triple A member they can check their website, sometimes they have good offers, oh and if you are military as well. Wavesofhonor.com

Hope this help!

Advice:

1. The whole park is effectively one big circle so if you are at a ride that you like, you may want to go again as it is tough to backtrack for everything.

2. Cheetah Hunt is the only coaster that generates any sort of a line, 20-45 minutes in the off season. The water rides in the afternoon are the longest waits in the park.

3. Kangaroo and Tiger Exhibits are amazing. Some other good ones but those are can't-miss.

4. Best food is either the Smokehouse or either option in Pantopia.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

From what we've read, we're probably gonna ride Cheetah Hunt first, and do the rest of the park around the course. Any advice on where to sit on each coaster?

Also, for anyone who's interested: Publix raised the price on BGT tickets to 75$.

Edited by djboss302