TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

If Kumba is not your #1 coaster, you are doing something wrong. Therefore, BGT WINS!

100% correct! Kumba is definetely an awesome experience. Considering that there isn't really a ton of Sit-Down B&M's left.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't none of B&Ms 100 or so coasters gone out of commission(they have changed parks)? == There was never to many sitdowns to begin with.

If Kumba is not your #1 coaster, you are doing something wrong. Therefore, BGT WINS!

100% correct! Kumba is definetely an awesome experience. Considering that there isn't really a ton of Sit-Down B&M's left.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't none of B&Ms 100 or so coasters gone out of commission(they have changed parks)? == There was never to many sitdowns to begin with.

I'm pretty sure you're right. I was hinting towards that. Sorry for any confusion

Compared to Hersheypark's Intamin trio, it's practically a kiddie ride.

In terms of intensity, it might not be that same as Skyrush or storm runner but I assume (as I haven't been on it) that it's more forceful than Fahrenheit, which is really fun, just not very intense. But if you take into account things like length, then it might also beat storm runner (even though that's an awesome ride).

Personally I think that depends where you sit. Skyrush is more intense than Kumba, but Skyrush is more intense than pretty much everything. I think if you ride Kumba near the front of the train (where it's still awesome) it's not as intense as Storm Runner but if you ride Kumba in the back, especially on the right side of the train Kumba will try to kill you (in a good way). Kumba in any seat is more intense than Farenheit.

Obviously that's just my opinion though. I have both Storm Runner and Kumba in my top 10 (out of over 200 coasters) so they're both great as far as I'm concerned.

For as much as my wife and I LOVED BGW, it makes BGT very, very high on my wish list of parks I want to visit. The place looks absolutely fantastic, especially with all the animal exhibits (which definitely speaks to us). Plus, I'd love to ride Kumba to see if it lives up to all the hype (not to mention, I haven't been on a B&M sitdown looping coaster before)......and ride Montu, as it always has looked like one of the better inverted coasters out there. Banshee recently took over the crown as my favorite invert, so I'd love to see how it compares to Montu.

I will say (since I've seen this coaster mentioned in comparisons here) that my wife and I both thought that Apollo's Chariot was certainly the best coaster at BGW, so I could see where people who have been to both parks may like that coaster best. Kumba sounds wonderful, and I might like it better, but we all know this is a hobby of personal preferences and opinions. I don't think statements like "If Kumba isn't your favorite, you're doing it wrong" make much sense, and get fairly close to that fine line of trying to jam your favorite ride down people's throats. Just my thoughts on it.

Edited by PhantomNick

^ LOL - I am pretty sure when we say "If you don't like Kumba, you are doing it wrong" we are joking around (at least I am.)

The animals at BGT really make it stand out for me. Tigers, Monkeys, Apes, Hippo's, Rhino's, Hyena, Otters, Elephants, etc... are just cool (not to mention the Cheetah's which are awesome.)

Also, two of my favorite things there are the Lorikeets (which I think they have at BGW) and the Kangaroo's / Wallabee's. I always end up with about 5 Lorikeet's landing on me to eat, and I love love love feeding and petting the Kangaroo's.

I rode Kumba four times. Twice in the middle and twice in the back (both times rightmost seat) and pretty much got the same ride every time. I still rank HP's Intamins and most of the B&Ms I've ridden ahead of it.

Storm Runner is FAR more intense than Kumba will ever be. Nothing can beat the gut-punching launch, back to back snappy inversions, and truly killer snake dive. Not even Kumba's supposed "killer zero G roll" which pretty much felt like a normal zero G roll. As for Fahrenheit, I got loads of unexpected airtime in places I had no idea airtime could even exist on that. That's definitely one of the most underrated (and I'll even go out on a limb and say forceful) coasters I've ridden. Kumba had a nice pop of air before the cobra roll, but nothing like what I got on Fahrenheit.

That being said, Kumba has a solid layout, great setting, an amazing roar, and I love the queue line. It seems Tampa can pull far better looking queue lines than Williamsburg (sans Verbolten and Alpengeist). Even Gwazi's queue was beautiful.

^ LOL - I am pretty sure when we say "If you don't like Kumba, you are doing it wrong" we are joking around (at least I am.)

I was not. I will shove it down your throat, and you will LIKE IT. lol

^LMAO - I should have said "most of us." But in reality - I do not see why people don't feel the same way I do about this amazing ride, and it's been a couple of weeks since my last fix - so I need to get over there soon

^LMAO - I should have said "most of us." But in reality - I do not see why people don't feel the same way I do about this amazing ride, and it's been a couple of weeks since my last fix - so I need to get over there soon

It is a good, intense ride (I liken it to the BTR of sit-down coasters in its intensity), but since I tend to be a bit more sensitive to head rattling that wouldn't bother other people, I'm usually a one-and-done on it. If my head weren't so close to the OTSR's where it bounced around between them through basically the whole ride, I think I'd enjoy it a good bit more. And yes, I know it's not like an Arrow where it feels like the OTSR's are trying to punch you in the head because the transitions are so poorly designed, but the rattling still bothers me (and gives me a headache), and at the end of the day I'd rather ride SheiKra or Cheetah Hunt or Montu because I don't have that same problem on those other coasters.

Kumba in any seat is more intense than Fahrenheit.

Looking at a cartoon drawing of Kumba on the park map is more intense than riding Fahrenheit.

I actually found that ride to be quite underrated. Sure, it's not as intense as the other intamins at the park but it still delivers some great moments of air and the pacing is not so bad either.

It is a good, intense ride (I liken it to the BTR of sit-down coasters in its intensity), but since I tend to be a bit more sensitive to head rattling that wouldn't bother other people, I'm usually a one-and-done on it. If my head weren't so close to the OTSR's where it bounced around between them through basically the whole ride, I think I'd enjoy it a good bit more. And yes, I know it's not like an Arrow where it feels like the OTSR's are trying to punch you in the head because the transitions are so poorly designed, but the rattling still bothers me (and gives me a headache), and at the end of the day I'd rather ride SheiKra or Cheetah Hunt or Montu because I don't have that same problem on those other coasters.

^This. Every time I've visited I've felt the B&M rot. Rattle, rattle.

Kumba without a doubt is on the top of my list of roller coasters. One of the reasons why I love this ride so much is the pacing, it never has a dull moment, even after the MCBR. I don't think I've been on a ride that took inversions the way this ride does, very forceful! The only part of the ride I found a "rattle" was the turn between the interlocking corkscrews, but even then it's nowhere as bad as the Hulk or Dominator.

The only one I can think of is Led Zeppelin - The Ride/Time Machine since it's SBNO.

Any update on Falcon's Fury?

^The people that work in the call center are probably not the best people to go by when it comes to operational updates for Falcon's Fury. Right up there with tram drivers and the Dippin' Dots guy.

Actually, the Dippin' Dots guy is the best place to get this information.

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press release about this year's returning Island Nights Summer event at Adventure Island!

image.jpg.d808cced3a6efef493a7af477e7def6a.jpg

Adventure Island® heats up when the sun goes down all summer long with Island Nights®. From June 12 to Aug. 9, Busch Gardens® Tampa’s waterpark keeps this family-friendly sunset celebration going every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. with live music, eclectic entertainment, sand sculptures, street performers, stilt walkers and a steel drum band. Plus, partygoers can satisfy their taste buds with the all-new Island Nights Food Truck!

NEW! Island Nights Food Truck

Relaxing on the beach isn’t complete without a tropical beverage in hand! Cool off with tropical delights at the new Island Nights Food Truck, located near Fabian’s Fun Port. While you’re there, be sure to indulge in tacos, quesadillas, nachos, salad bowls and more!

NEW! Kid’s Zone at Mango Joe’s Beach

The Kid’s Zone DJ revs up the dance floor with popular hits every night at Mango Joe’s Beach. This brand new kid’s zone bursts with excitement as Island Nights Party Starters amp up the energy when the sun sets in preparation for a fun-filled night.

NEW! Glow-in-the-Dark Grand Finale

Join the entire Island Nights cast on the main beach at 8:30 p.m. for a grand finale celebration, featuring high-energy music and LED-lit entertainment, including stilt walkers and performance artists. This finale includes audience participation, so be prepared to join in on the fun!

Sand Sculptures Every Week

Sand sculpture artists return with 25 tons of sand as they create newly-themed masterpieces every week for Island Nights. Sculptors will begin a new theme each Thursday evening and unveil the sculpture by Saturday.

Island Nights is the perfect nighttime escape for all ages, and admission is included with any daily park admission or Adventure Island Pass. Visit AdventureIsland.com for more information.

Edited by jedimaster1227