TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

It was 6 inches of rain in 2 hours. Not the easiest thing to drain from a deep trench.

Exactly--that's a torrential downpour even by Florida standards.

Edited by cfc

We've been under water for days here in Florida. That's the problem, we can usually handle a big downpour like that but the ground is already saturated so there's just nowhere for this water to go.

Did some of Montu's trenches flood? Or is that on higher ground that Cheetah Hunt so the midways don't direct water to the trench?

^They probabyl just received 2''. B&M inverts usually have at least 3 meters of vertical clearance (on un-banked turns) so at least Montu's track is safe.

I dont think any right minded person is blaming the water! Just awful irrigation planning!

Bring in the hippos!

I think you mean drainage not irrigation(!), plus like others have said it was an extreme downpour after days of rain, I don't think it's awful planning to flood once in the three years its been open after so much rain. As said water needs to drain somewhere and if the water table is high, it has nowhere to go.

Did some of Montu's trenches flood? Or is that on higher ground that Cheetah Hunt so the midways don't direct water to the trench?

^They probabyl just received 2''. B&M inverts usually have at least 3 meters of vertical clearance (on un-banked turns) so at least Montu's track is safe.

It's "safer" but I've seen a piece of Great Bear's track fully underwater, so it's not guaranteed. (but still less likely)

It's "safer" but I've seen a piece of Great Bear's track fully underwater, so it's not guaranteed. (but still less likely)

Well, that is a completely different situation. Montu's trenches are around 3 meters in depth. Unless 3 meters of rain build up, it shouldn't have an issue.

I was literally packing for a park trip and waiting for my Cheetah Hunt t-shirt to finish in the dryer when I read this...the ultimate irony! XD

Hope they get it up and running as soon as they can, though. It also makes me wonder about the river slalom and other trenches, I wonder just how much of it is underwater. :/

But hey, look on the bright side, splashdown!

Which is better - BG Tampa or Williamsburg, in terms of rides, landscaping and theming?

Verboten>Chunt

Alpengeist=Montu

Griffon=Sheikra

Apollo>Kumba (probably a minority opinion)

Anything>Gwazi

Darkastle>nothing

LNM>Sandstorm er Scorpion

I prefer BGW, but the animal attractions are far superior at BGW - it is the strength of the park. Rides are similar enough to be a wash. And I truly believe the highly themed Verbolten is more fun than Cheetah Hunt. There's something about how that ride is operated that detracts - for me. BGW as a whole is more intensively themed.

(probably a minority opinion)

That's an understatement. I consider Apollo to be a very forgettable, uneventful B&M and Kumba to be the best B&M I've ever ridden. It's incredibly intense and every element is flat out awesome.

Which is better - BG Tampa or Williamsburg, in terms of rides, landscaping and theming?

As someone who spent the day today at BGW and was just at BGT a few weeks ago, here are my opinions:

Cheetah Hunt > Verbolten (close & may come down to personal preference)

Montu Alpengeist (I think Montu has the better layout & pacing)

SheiKra Griffon (SheiKra has better floaty airtime, a tunnel after the 2nd drop, and a dual-loading station to increase capacity/throughput)

For Kumba vs. Apollo's Chariot, it all comes down to what kind of ride you prefer. A number of enthusiasts have Kumba right at the top of their lists, but I will prefer a B&M hyper to a B&M sit-down or floorless any day of the week, just because of the type of ride I prefer.

I think Loch Ness Monster vs. Gwazi/Scorpion/Sand Serpent has to go to BGT, simply because of quantity. As to ride experience, LNM & Scorpion are similar in my book; Gwazi is miserable; & Sand Serpent is completely forgettable.

I also have a feeling Falcon's Fury is going to be better than Mach Tower.

So I would give 'rides' to BGT, hands down.

As for landscaping, BGW is gorgeous. It's very well done, and there's a reason it has consistently won 'best landscaping' for years & years.

Ride theming is a wash between parks. i may give the edge to BGW for the other non-ride themed elements (shops/restaurants/etc)

BUT, I think one of the biggest differentiating factors is in the animal exhibits. BGT is basically a full zoo combined with a theme park; it has a lot of great animals & a ton of opportunities to see and learn about them. The animal exhibits are really well-integrated into the various areas of the park. BGW has Clydesdales, a couple of wolves, a few birds, and the More Pets Shenanigans show. The parks aren't even in the same universe as far as the animal exhibts go.

Unless all that you're looking for is pretty forestland with rides nestled within, go to BGT. You'll be glad you did.

^I completely agree, except for the Cheetah Hunt part. In fact, I would go as far to say that Manta (SWSD)>Verbolten>California Screamin>Cheetah Hunt.

However, one element when comparing the two parks is also in operations. I rank the two parks on a fairly equal basis. I prefer the coaster selection at BGT (excluding Cheetah Hunt, as I find Verbolten to be superior in all aspects, like theming, thrill factor, queuing era, etc...). Both parks are very nicely themed as well, but BGW has the strong edge in operations. BGW usually has three train ops without stacking, while at BGT, you can often expect two train ops with some stacking. However, I have found summer days at BGT to be less crowded that BGW, so it really seems to balance out.

^I completely agree, except for the Cheetah Hunt part. In fact, I would go as far to say that Manta (SWSD)>Verbolten>California Screamin>Cheetah Hunt.

However, one element when comparing the two parks is also in operations. I rank the two parks on a fairly equal basis. I prefer the coaster selection at BGT (excluding Cheetah Hunt, as I find Verbolten to be superior in all aspects, like theming, thrill factor, queuing era, etc...). Both parks are very nicely themed as well, but BGW has the strong edge in operations. BGW usually has three train ops without stacking, while at BGT, you can often expect two train ops with some stacking. However, I have found summer days at BGT to be less crowded that BGW, so it really seems to balance out.

For me, I think the theming on Verbolten is nice, but once you know the gimmick, the ride doesn't really do all that much for me anymore. Don't get me wrong--it's still fun--but there's no airtime to speak of, it doesn't pull that many G's, and other than the drop down over the water (that I can't help but imagine must have been better on BBW), it just doesn't do anything for me.

Cheetah Hunt for me is the better coaster. It's still well-themed, but the ride to me is actually fun, AND it has airtime, positive G's, great views, etc. I just enjoy it a lot more. (plus CH doesn't have an obnoxious recording that they play for each of the two loading stations a half second apart but loud enough for everyone in the queue to hear!)

Operations-wise, BGW was fine. Griffon only has a single-loading station to SheiKra's dual, and I noticed the difference; they've also killed off its single-rider line due to abuse by groups (a real shame if you ask me). Verbolten's ops were fine. Apollo's Chariot was only running 2 trains, but you could tell it was meant for 3. I didn't notice any issues at Alpengeist.

The only rides at BGT where I've encountered really slow ops are Scorpion (only 1 train) and Gwazi (1 train on 1 side and 25% of that train pre-reserved for Quick Queue people).

I think one of the biggest differentiating factors is in the animal exhibits. BGT is basically a full zoo combined with a theme park; it has a lot of great animals & a ton of opportunities to see and learn about them. The animal exhibits are really well-integrated into the various areas of the park. BGW has Clydesdales, a couple of wolves, a few birds, and the More Pets Shenanigans show. The parks aren't even in the same universe as far as the animal exhibts go.

This really can't be stressed enough. It's absolutely what sets the park apart (though I do prefer their coaster lineup too). Both Busch Gardens parks are excellent though.