TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

^You should probably go on Montu.

Yuck! Forgot to add that! I definitely want Montu, I plan to make it my 75th credit, how could I forget that?

^He should DEFINITELY go on Montu. And the fact that he has Gwazi ranked higher than Kumba and Sheikra... Ugh.

It was in no particular order, just the order in which I remembered them. I thought I was forgetting something when I posted that list.

Honestly, I'm not that worried about Gwazi. Son of Beast was at my home park, so that might have something to do with this. But I walked into Cedar Point this May hoping to get some more credits (walked out with five more) but I had heard all these horror stories about how rough and painful Mean Streak is and how I'm going to have a huge dental bill and how I'll be in a full-body cast until I'm thirty and have to walk across the stage at my college graduation and get my diploma covered in plaster if I get on it. That thing wasn't rough at all! We sat towards the front and I have no idea what people are talking about! It's now my third favorite wooden coaster (behind Thunderhead and The Beast) and I found it to be very smooth for a woodie of that size.

So is Gwazi worse than Mean Streak? I'm curious to see what people say...

^Mean Streak gets a lot of TLC each off season, so the best time to ride it is in May before it has a chance to undo all the trackwork. I thought Gwazi was similar to Mean Streak really. Ride it very defensively and hope it is having a good day and doesn't try to kill you.

I wanted to eat at Crown Colony when we go in October, this is sad.

Desert Grille? Is that place any good? Where should we eat now?

Desert Grille is good, but Smokehouse is better!

I totally agree, the Smokehouse is really really good!

So we plan to go the 17th of October, spend all of the 18th there, and part of the 19th flying back. We will leave on a Thursday and get back on a Saturday. Sound like it would work? We can hit all of the rides we want in that time frame, right?

Rides we want:

*Cheetah Hunt (TOP PRIORITY)

*Gwazi

*Kumba

*SheiKra

*Air Grover

*Scorpion

*Sand Serpent

*Serengeti Railway

*Skyride (confirmed a miss)

*Maybe some kind of animal exhibit tour

I say definitely do Gwazi for the credit, because I do not think it will be around very much longer

• 2 weeks later...

Falcon's Fury construction update:

I didn't notice much of a change as far as the vertical structure, but they have cleared a lot more space that I imagine will be the queue area. The view from the top of the Scorpion’s lift is probably the best you’ll get.

photo.JPG.8167f70062abcb57faa260640ecb12a6.JPG

photo1.JPG.9e3c8aafad6af9ff65c3d51077bfad24.JPG

photo2.JPG.b462c173357680ad1fbae71f77130e91.JPG

photo4.JPG.751530de095b50b20062ebd7bead8cd7.JPG

Those are some great shots! It's not going up as quickly as I thought it would, but it seems like it's rising pretty fast still.

A bit of follow up on our trip planning, I've heard that Howl-o-Scream was more popular than I thought it was. Is it worth putting the trip off to November? I don't have any reason to visit the haunts and I have no reason to ride Falcon's Fury, so somewhere in between there would be preferable, the sooner the better. Is the park always on daily operation?

The park is always has daily operation. The first time it closed for the day in the past few years was due to TS Debby last year. Though I heard that after this weekend, weekdays are going to be 10am-5pm only. So plan accordingly to one less hour if you don't go on a weekend. But it will not be busy between HOS and Christmas, so any day in between will be fine.

The park is always has daily operation. The first time it closed for the day in the past few years was due to TS Debby last year. Though I heard that after this weekend, weekdays are going to be 10am-5pm only. So plan accordingly to one less hour if you don't go on a weekend. But it will not be busy between HOS and Christmas, so any day in between will be fine.

We plan to go all day Friday and Saturday morning. Should that be enough time to get all the creds (particularly Cheetah Hunt) and a few others?

I'll be getting my 75th credit on this trip too! I would like it to be Cheetah Hunt, but I refuse to take any chances skipping it since it's the main reason we're going. The other two I'm considering are Montu, even though my 50th was a B&M invert (Raptor) and Kumba. Which should it be? And do you think the first week of November will be late enough to avoid hurricane season?

^ That should be more than enough time for the park. With having B&Ms, a Intamin that runs 4-5 trains and the many shows, the park handles crowds very well and even on some of the busiest days lines don't get too crazy - with the exception of maybe Cheetah Hunt. But a Friday in October... you should have the park nearly to yourself during the day.

^ That should be more than enough time for the park. With having B&Ms, a Intamin that runs 4-5 trains and the many shows, the park handles crowds very well and even on some of the busiest days lines don't get too crazy - with the exception of maybe Cheetah Hunt. But a Friday in October... you should have the park nearly to yourself during the day.

That's great news! I think we're sold on pushing it back to early November. That should be more than enough time to avoid hurricane season and Howl-O-Scream, right? We plan to be those nuts waiting outside before the park opens and when gates open, shove small children out of the way while running to Cheetah Hunt (not even kidding, I saw a man shove a kid runni g to Diamondback last year at Kings Island) so we'll get there to no queue.

So my three biggest concerns right now:

*Hurricanes: Should the first weekend in November be safe or should we wait until the second?

*Intamin: We're doing all we can to get it before it goes down (and you KNOW it will) but how reliable is Cheetah Hunt compared to other Intamins? (Mainly Maverick)

*Fitting: 5'11 and 220 pounds but I should fit into Cheetah Hunt, right? I pulled 3 inches of slack when I tried Maverick's this past July. I'd assume they all have the same strap, right?

Thanks for all the help!

I am going down to Tampa for work and decided to extend my trip and take in BGT. I will be down there Oct 17 & 18. Quick ticketing question, if I buy the $50 daily ticket, will I get i get kicked out of the park @ 5:00pm (i.e. does BGT Security clear the park) for Howl-O-Scream or will I be able to stay at the park until 1:00am? Never been there before. Any tips appreciated.

Unless you buy a Howl-o-scream ticket, you will be kicked out at 5 or 6, whenever normal operating hours are over. If you add HOS, I would also purchase the Fright Feast, as you can stay in the park, eat a buffet, watch a show, AND get Quick Queue for the first hour. It's a great deal.

That's great news! I think we're sold on pushing it back to early November. That should be more than enough time to avoid hurricane season and Howl-O-Scream, right? We plan to be those nuts waiting outside before the park opens and when gates open, shove small children out of the way while running to Cheetah Hunt (not even kidding, I saw a man shove a kid runni g to Diamondback last year at Kings Island) so we'll get there to no queue.

*Hurricanes: Should the first weekend in November be safe or should we wait until the second?

*Intamin: We're doing all we can to get it before it goes down (and you KNOW it will) but how reliable is Cheetah Hunt compared to other Intamins? (Mainly Maverick)

*Fitting: 5'11 and 220 pounds but I should fit into Cheetah Hunt, right? I pulled 3 inches of slack when I tried Maverick's this past July. I'd assume they all have the same strap, right?

Thanks for all the help!

Not to sound rude, but I think you are over-thinking this. I've lived in Florida for over 6 years and I can count on one hand the number of times hurricanes have impacted operations to the point parks had to close early. Most people outside Florida think hurricanes = Florida, but in reality they don't hit as often as most believe, especially in the Tampa area.

Cheetah Hunt is reliable from what I've seen in my visits - like any other complex coaster that has multi-launches it will experience some issues here or there but long breakdowns aren't the norm. There is no need to run - anytime this time of year, save for a holiday or during HoS, lines will be more than manageable. I rarely have seen Cheetah Hunt over a hour wait - and that has been on some pretty busy days.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Busch Gardens Tampa always wants thrills that's good, but when does it get a fully themed ride? Most likely the people of SeaWorld (Who also owns the Busch Garden Parks) may have used Antarctica as a "Test" for how well they create themed lands. Now, the Egypt section of the Park with Montu has theming and it is great which also is the ideal place to add a Themed Dark Ride or some type of highly themed ride. Maybe a ride like Joris in da Dark? (Might have spelled it wrong) But after Falcon's Fury announcement and the rumors of Gwazi coming down to be replaced by another roller coaster and the current deficits that SeaWorld is facing with money issues, you may not see a new themed ride into the 2020's. And speaking about Falcon's Fury does anyone know if Busch Gardens is going to add some type of design to the top of the tower or just pick one color? I hope they pick design and not just pick the color blue and have the text; "Busch Gardens Tampa" written on it.

^ Most likely, but just hopefully. If you look at it Disney and Universal has their own Drop Towers that are themed. Disney's TOT is very impressive but If universal would at least give some theming like Universal's Drop of Doom where they added theming to the top would be interesting to see Busch Gardens do something similar. Plus, I think Busch Gardens should make it not become an Eye-Sore because it's going to be visible from almost every part of the park (Shreika is only 200 ft. and almost seen throughout the whole park, while Falcons Fury is going to be 330 ft.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick trip report from Busch Gardens today!

Journalism Day 2013!

Today, Friday the 13th, 6 kids from my school attended Journalism Day at Busch Gardens for Howl-O-Scream. We arrived at the park at 8:30 am with the event starting at 9:00 am. Scott Swenson, the Director of Production for events at Busch Gardens, was there with plenty of enthusiasm of this year's Howl-O-Scream. We got a lot of information. We first learned who all the "13" were through the video released by the park. Then we learned about the haunted houses for this year. They seemed really excited for Death Water Bayou as they mentioned that it probably is "the most visually impressive houses we have made." We learned a lot about the Experiment as well. Cockroaches will definitely be in the house! Also, they mentioned that it is the most interactive haunted attraction they have ever seem. You become part of the story. There is no safe word. You must "complete the experiment" and if you don't, you will be "terminated." After all of this Introduction, we were split into 4 groups of about 18 kids (three schools per group). We made VooDoo dolls first! We made a small one for ourselves and then, as a school, we made a larger doll that will be featured inside Death Water Bayou itself!

Next on our tour, we went through Death Water Bayou. We walked through Death Water Bayou in theatrical mode but with no scare actors. Inside, it had the same music and atmosphere as you would experience on the night of Howl O Scream but with no scare actors. I have to say that it was in fact visually impressive. A lot of really neat effects were inside the house. The theming was outstanding and the detail was very creative. It really seemed like a swamp at some points in the house. Scott Swenson was our tour for the house. We weren't allowed for pictures or video inside because we don't want to give anything away. It was a really creative house that really stood out to me. It will house a total of 28 scare actors. Be careful, there will be a live snake, and the VooDoo Queen in the first room! Also, watch out for the tongue!

After that, we did the Scare Actor behind the scenes with a small façade and a walk through of what the audition process is for Howl-O-Scream. Very fun. Then we had a tour of the Shop of Horrors as well!

Things they mentioned about this year that you might not know:

-Every night it ends, it ends at the 13th hour.

-Fiends! It will be a completely new show. It will be themed around Freakenstein's University of his teachings. There will all new music, new sets, new elements and scripts, but they are keeping the nurses lol.

-The Basement they mentioned is the same layout as one of there old retired houses but with new Basement theming. I was confused at this because isn't the Basement where Alone is this year? Is it the same layout as Alone or just a rebuilt part like from Nightshade or something.

-The Taco Bus from Tampa will be a part of Club 13!

-The 13 scare zone will have all the "doors."

-The Boar's head that is in the shop was from Alone last year.

-The Experiment, you will have to perform many different things and everything in the house for props has a purpose and need.

After this event, I am really looking forward to this year's event!

After the event, they let us have the rest of the day at the park...that's where things went down hill. Sheikra was running two trains only and the line was pretty long. There were only 5 people watching the show at the front of the park, can't remember the name but it was in the Marrakesh Theater. The park wasn't too clean. The staff was really unfriendly today. Cheetah Hunt had a 5 minute wait and was running 4 trains! That seemed like it was the only positive at the park. Gwazi was closed, everything at the park seemed to be closed. Montu was really ROUGH! I rode in the back and it was just brutal! Just hearing the ride come by you can hear the roughness. The park really has gone down hill and it was really sad today walking through the park. I can't believe what has become of Busch Gardens. Hopefully, life can be brought into the park again soon. It was just sad to see. Not much fun in the park.

Thanks for all the help!

Not to sound rude, but I think you are over-thinking this. I've lived in Florida for over 6 years and I can count on one hand the number of times hurricanes have impacted operations to the point parks had to close early. Most people outside Florida think hurricanes = Florida, but in reality they don't hit as often as most believe, especially in the Tampa area.

Cheetah Hunt is reliable from what I've seen in my visits - like any other complex coaster that has multi-launches it will experience some issues here or there but long breakdowns aren't the norm. There is no need to run - anytime this time of year, save for a holiday or during HoS, lines will be more than manageable. I rarely have seen Cheetah Hunt over a hour wait - and that has been on some pretty busy days.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks! I'm just flying there from Ohio and want to make sure that nothing ruins the trip. So of we go for 1.5 days in late November and one of them is a weekday, we should be fine?

And one last concern; private events. How early will we be able to tell if a day is going to be unavailable due to a private event?

Thanks! I'm just flying there from Ohio and want to make sure that nothing ruins the trip. So of we go for 1.5 days in late November and one of them is a weekday, we should be fine?

And one last concern; private events. How early will we be able to tell if a day is going to be unavailable due to a private event?

You'll have MORE than enough time. I swung through the park yesterday afternoon and was in and out (mid-afternoon) with a ride on all the major coasters in about 2 hours. 1.5 days is MORE than enough. I would pencil the .5 day to something else if you can - some cool brewery tours in the area.

As for private events I don't remember the park ever being closed for a private event (during a normal operating day - they host plenty of events post-closing) so you'll be fine there.

You'll have MORE than enough time. I swung through the park yesterday afternoon and was in and out (mid-afternoon) with a ride on all the major coasters in about 2 hours. 1.5 days is MORE than enough. I would pencil the .5 day to something else if you can - some cool brewery tours in the area.

As for private events I don't remember the park ever being closed for a private event (during a normal operating day - they host plenty of events post-closing) so you'll be fine there.

First off, I'm just 19...no brewery for me! XD

Second off, thanks! Time is no longer a concern!

Now my biggest worries are hurricanes, fitting into Cheetah Hunt, and private events. (which is very minimal, I'll probably nix this one if I call the park tomorrow and ask)

fitting into Cheetah Hunt

I'm not saying the coaster won't break down but the park is really good about getting Chunt back open. They also tend to run a lot of trains on this coaster even if the park is slow. This coaster you can see from other parts of the park to know if the ride is open. Honestly, you should have no problem riding it, even if it breaks down for a little while.

^ Time shouldn't be a problem at all.

There really isn't much you can do about hurricanes. One will either happen or it won't. There's really no point in worrying about it. Most likely you'll be fine.

I've never seen any park in central Florida completely close for the whole day for a buyout. The worst case would be them closing an hour or so early, but even that probably wouldn't happen. Check the park's schedule online.