TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Im 5' 8 and 215 and had no problems at all, but its about your porportions. Also, no hall-o-screams? Might as well take advantage of that while you're down!

So my dad and I are flying down to BGT this October to ride Cheetah Hunt. It's a lot of money for this trip and I want ever cred there. We fly down Thursday, spend the full day Friday, and spend half the day Saturday and take a flight back Saturday afternoon. Should this be enough time to get everything, particularly Chunt? I know Florida has odd rain patterns and Cheetah Hunt's an Intamin so it breaks down a lot. Any tips on how to get around these? We technically could spend all of Saturday and come back Sunday but it costs money and that could be time we don't need. Any tips for this?

Also:

*How is Florida rain in October?

*We are looking at the second or third weekend in October. Is one better than the other?

*I'm 5'11 and about 215 pounds. I managed to get about three inches of slack in Maverick's test seat a few weeks ago. Does this clear me to to into Cheetah Hunt as well?

So my dad and I are flying down to BGT this October to ride Cheetah Hunt. It's a lot of money for this trip and I want ever cred there. We fly down Thursday, spend the full day Friday, and spend half the day Saturday and take a flight back Saturday afternoon. Should this be enough time to get everything, particularly Chunt? I know Florida has odd rain patterns and Cheetah Hunt's an Intamin so it breaks down a lot. Any tips on how to get around these? We technically could spend all of Saturday and come back Sunday but it costs money and that could be time we don't need. Any tips for this?

Also:

*We are looking at the second or third weekend in October. Is one better than the other?

*I'm 5'11 and about 215 pounds. I managed to get about three inches of slack in Maverick's test seat a few weeks ago. Does this clear me to to into Cheetah Hunt as well?

Rain is not as bad as it is now, but it is variable. Howl-o-Scream is in October, so it could be busy during the day and closer to the day closure, which I believe is 6 or 7pm. Just do the test seat outside Cheetah Hunt before riding.

I know about the test seat, I was just wondering if I could fit now. I fit into Maverick's no sweat when we went to Cedar Point two weeks ago. Should I be fine on Cheetah Hunt's or does it not have as much slack?

Im 5' 8 and 215 and had no problems at all, but its about your porportions. Also, no hall-o-screams? Might as well take advantage of that while you're down!

Also:

I'm posting a picture of myself in Maverick's seat here in a bit so I should get an accurate opinion from that. I tend to avoid distressing situations in public (such as haunts) because there's something about my personality that makes it almost always end badly. I borderline raised my voice at a TSA agent last time I flew because I was getting claustrophobic in the scanner and he wasn't hurrying up. Apparently my tone of voice was respectful enough that he didn't raise an eyebrow (or just understood that I didn't do well with enclosed spaces such as those scanners) but as soon as I did it I got really scared that I would be arrested. We're avoiding Howl-o-Scream because knowing me, it'll end with me in a cop car for punching out an actor or something. XD

1004484_668494469846250_1781979360_n.jpg

So this is me showing off that I was able to get all 230 pounds of my flab into Maverick's test seat. Will this guarantee that I can get the same amount of flab into Cheetah Hunt's with the same amount of space to spare?

My mom said that Florida rains come in short 30 minute squalls daily. Is this still true in October?

I went to have lunch at the Crown Colony House Restaurant yesterday, where it was confirmed t us that the restaurant's last day of operation is August 18th, 2013. Our server who has been at the restaurant for over a decade was pretty honest, saying that the restaurant could reopen seasonally, but it is likely that the restaurant as we know it now will be gone for good, including the signature all you can eat family style menu. We were told that the operation has been more consistently breaking even rather than turning a profit, and with tightening of the belt across the company, breaking even isn't good enough to justify keeping this historic venue open anymore.

Our friends at Orlando Attractions Magazine have said that Busch Gardens PR claims that the closure is temporary. We'll have to see what happens, but if you want to experience the Crown Colony House Restaurant as it has been for many, many years, you have until the 18th to go check it out.

If it's only breaking even I'm surprised it lasted this long. It's unfortunate to lose such a great place, but as long as it doesn't become a Mooseburger Lodge I'll be happy.

I wanted to eat at Crown Colony when we go in October, this is sad.

Desert Grille? Is that place any good? Where should we eat now?

Thanks for the help, guys. Only thing we're still wondering is if that's enough time to ride everything and what the rain patterns are like in October.

About the same as the other 11 months.....wet.

Seriously though, you're at the tail end of hurricane season and the tropics could still throw a severe storm your way, but for the most part you'll be fine. You'll more than likely see hit or miss afternoon showers at the most.

I wanted to eat at Crown Colony when we go in October, this is sad.

Desert Grille? Is that place any good? Where should we eat now?

Desert Grille is good, but Smokehouse is better!

I've heard Gwazi is closed. Could this be the beginning of the end for the coaster?

Gwazi is closed because it was hit by lightning during a storm on Friday. They are trying to fix it now. I'm sure they want to have it open during the busy summer season before they try to shut it down for good.

I've heard Gwazi is closed. Could this be the beginning of the end for the coaster?

Gwazi is closed because it was hit by lightning during a storm on Friday. They are trying to fix it now. I'm sure they want to have it open during the busy summer season before they try to shut it down for good.

I'm not sure why they would waste money in trying to reopen it just to tear it down later (regardless of the season), especially since the parks are currently making cuts such as closing restaurants like Crown Colony and rides like Europe in the Air. If the current rumors are true (that Gwazi will be removed by the end of the year) I'd say that lightning strike may have been the final nail in the coffin for Gwazi.

If the current rumors are true (that Gwazi will be removed by the end of the year) I'd say that lightning strike may have been the final nail in the coffin for Gwazi.

It would definitely be a convenient way to close it early.

I say just put Gwazi out of its misery already and give me an Intamin Prefab.

If the current rumors are true (that Gwazi will be removed by the end of the year) I'd say that lightning strike may have been the final nail in the coffin for Gwazi.

It would definitely be a convenient way to close it early.

I say just put Gwazi out of its misery already and give me an Intamin Prefab.

I'd be all for this! I love El Toro!

When I rode Gwazi in 2003 I love it! I hate to hear how it did not hold up and went down really fast. At this point it really is time to just close it for good and remove it. Such a large plot of land that the could work with too for future additions.

I hadn't really looked at the list of closed attractions and restaurants before on Screamscape until today. Jesus, that's a long list of stuff that's closed or about to be closed permanently/go seasonal. I'm trying hard to keep an open mind going into my visit there in September, but it ain't easy. I guess it says something about what devotion BGT's fans have for the park compared to other places given the relative lack of outrage over so much of the park getting shuttered to save cash. If this happened at a Disney park, there'd be suicide pacts formed in the TTC.

^ Id say if you want the Gwazi credit you should go when you can. I know nothing is confirmed but we all know Gwazi will not be around very much longer. I'd specualte that 2014 will most likely be its last season.

With all the ha-ha at BGT right now (Gwazi, Skyride, Crown Colony) would it be best to postpone our Tampa trip? We really wanted to ride Skyride and I need every credit there including Gwazi. Should we still go this October?

Who said anything about Skyride? It's still open, weather permitting.

With all the ha-ha at BGT right now (Gwazi, Skyride, Crown Colony) would it be best to postpone our Tampa trip? We really wanted to ride Skyride and I need every credit there including Gwazi. Should we still go this October?

Who said anything about Skyride? It's still open, weather permitting.

From screamscape, I think they mentioned they had planned to visit in october:

other news, I updated the park’s official attraction rehab list, and noticed a few new additions that will sound all to familiar to those who have been tracking the budget cutbacks hitting the park this summer. As rumored, Rhino Rally is confirmed to close down starting August 19th and has no listed reopening date, but I’d look for it to happen by Summer 2014.

Gwazi is listed to have a closure from Sept. 3rd to 15th… but with the ride closed unexpectedly right now, I would hope that they are taking advantage of the downtime to get some of that work done now instead. Also as rumored, the Skyride will close for two months from Sept. 9th through to Nov. 10th. It is also worth mentioning that the Jungle Flyers in Jungala appear to be adopting a ‘seasonal’ schedule and will shut down on Sept. 3rd and stay closed through to Dec. 19th… only reopening just in time for the busy Christmas crowds.

So we plan to go the 17th of October, spend all of the 18th there, and part of the 19th flying back. We will leave on a Thursday and get back on a Saturday. Sound like it would work? We can hit all of the rides we want in that time frame, right?

Rides we want:

*Cheetah Hunt (TOP PRIORITY)

*Gwazi

*Kumba

*SheiKra

*Air Grover

*Scorpion

*Sand Serpent

*Serengeti Railway

*Skyride (confirmed a miss)

*Maybe some kind of animal exhibit tour