TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Im always sad to see the end of a ride. Even though it could shake apart the foundation of a building, I was sad to see SOB go. Just as I would be sad to see Gwazi leave that park. It wasn't great, but I always rode it when I was there.

Just my 2cents!!!

If the ride ops were told something about the trains moving to Williamsburg I am guessing it got lost and translation and it became the coaster is heading up north.

It this could all just be a case of the dippin dots guy spouting nonsense.

If the ride ops were told something about the trains moving to Williamsburg I am guessing it got lost and translation and it became the coaster is heading up north.

It this could all just be a case of the dippin dots guy spouting nonsense.

I think the ride ops heard someone was going to BGW for training and after that something was lost in translation.

What if Gwazi's trains end up moving up north to Darien Lake? Then The Predator won't have trains that look almost like the old ones!

I know people sometimes make fun of your predictions, but I can't wait for the day that once of them actually happens! You will have the last laugh my friend.

^It could happen, Busch Gardens Tampa selling Gwazi's trains to Darien Lake for use on The Predator in lieu of sending them to the Williamsburg park for a future wooden coaster. If Busch Gardens Williamsburg were to get a wooden coaster, they would get a RMC steel/wood hybrid coaster.

The more I think about it, the less sense this makes. Any coaster manufacturer would want to use their own trains, I would think, so sending Millennium Flyers only makes sense if they're planning on building a GCI. The problem is, rationally, the whole chain is likely avoiding GCI because of how Gwazi has turned out. With that established, the only good reason to pack up the trains for shipping is if they're selling them to another park.

I'm therefore forced to conclude that Holiday World is giving up on the Timberliners and fitting Voyage with Millennium Flyers for 2014. You heard it here first

^^I highly doubt that BG is boycotting GCIs and I wouldn't blame GCI for Gwazi. Personally I see no one to blame for roughness other than the park staff, but even they have gone to some great lengths to fix Gwazi up.

I want to seriously ask though, having not ridden Gwazi, is it actually THAT rough? Like compared to Rattler (old version), Mean Streak, Ghostrider? Even if it is comparable to those coasters, I think it would be a mistake to remove Gwazi. Wood coasters have good and bad years, I mean, Mean Streak was actually running REALLY good 2012. I would certainly hesitate to remove a 1999 GCI.

I want to seriously ask though, having not ridden Gwazi, is it actually THAT rough? Like compared to Rattler (old version), Mean Streak, Ghostrider? Even if it is comparable to those coasters, I think it would be a mistake to remove Gwazi. Wood coasters have good and bad years, I mean, Mean Streak was actually running REALLY good 2012. I would certainly hesitate to remove a 1999 GCI.

These are always questionable comparisons. Saying Mean Streak was running REALLY good last year is like saying, "Hey, there were only two suicide bombings in Iraq yesterday."

Trust me, it really is as painful as everyone's saying, Both Lion and Tiger were headache inducing but sometimes it was just unbearable.

I can only hope Gwazi will be turning into firewood sometime soon, theres no way they'll be relocating it.

It is however completely totally feasible that the trains could go up to BGW, it's a great candidate for a twisty GCI coaster.

Luckily this time it shouldn't be so susceptible to deterioration from the humidity, heat and hurricanes and we might have something enjoyable this time round!

I wouldn't compare it at all to Mean Streak, while it has its roughness, Mean Streak doesn't do much even if it were to be glass smooth. I'd compare it a little more to Ghostrider. One of those, could be a really good ride if you looked past the roughness. On Gwazi, when it opened, I remember all the air-time and great forces on it, but over time, you can't even feel them anymore because you're too busy bracing yourself from the shaking. I felt the same way on Ghostrider. It's a shame when good wooden coasters age much more quickly than it should. Gwazi was extremely bad before the new trains showed up, but even with the new trains, it was more like putting a bandaid on a burn victim.

In terms of the Florida weather, I'd say it's more from just constant year round abuse than the weather itself. There (were) other wooden coasters in the state that didn't wear down as quickly like Dania Beach Hurricane, but that coaster didn't run nearly as frequently as Gwazi did, though I'm sure there are a lot of other factors that played into the slow demise of Gwazi.

Such a pitty.

Up to very recent, I would go to the four corners of the Earth to defend Gwazi... having rode last week (4/15) I actually came home SO incredibly flustered with my mindset... When my partner (who ALSO loves Gwazi) came home from work (I went to the park alone) I blurted out "I hope BGT tears Gwazi the F down!"... It was even more uncomfortable than its final year w/the PTC trains!...He actually couldn't believe his ears... I was so upset w/the condition of the coaster, I'm not sure I'll ride it again! We named our CAT Gwazi for crying out loud! I only wish the park would have kept Tiger (the MUCH more comfortable track IMO) open instead of the overly moody Lion... it would be a dream if RMC came in for an over haul, but that is very wishful thinking... I feel like I've turned my back on an old friend with my recent "betrayal" of Gwazi... but I hate the state the coaster is currently in!...

These are always questionable comparisons. Saying Mean Streak was running REALLY good last year is like saying, "Hey, there were only two suicide bombings in Iraq yesterday."

Up to very recent, I would go to the four corners of the Earth to defend Gwazi... having rode last week (4/15) I actually came home SO incredibly flustered with my mindset... When my partner (who ALSO loves Gwazi) came home from work (I went to the park alone) I blurted out "I hope BGT tears Gwazi the F down!"... It was even more uncomfortable than its final year w/the PTC trains!...He actually couldn't believe his ears... I was so upset w/the condition of the coaster, I'm not sure I'll ride it again! We named our CAT Gwazi for crying out loud! I only wish the park would have kept Tiger (the MUCH more comfortable track IMO) open instead of the overly moody Lion... it would be a dream if RMC came in for an over haul, but that is very wishful thinking... I feel like I've turned my back on an old friend with my recent "betrayal" of Gwazi... but I hate the state the coaster is currently in!...

I also think they should have kept Tiger open instead of Lion. I preferred Tiger with both types of trains.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading to BGT in June for one day of our honeymoon and I have two questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

-How are the crowds mid June, and would the Quick Que be worth the price for a one day trip?

-Do the All-You-Can-Eat wrist bands still get you half-off beer all day?

I always recommend waiting until you're in the park to decide about Quick Queue, but generally, crowds are steady, but not packed.

There's a deal online right now for $85 that includes park tickets and all day dining. I don't know what exactly is behind all that, but it sounds like a good steal. Anyone else know more?

Heading to BGT in June for one day of our honeymoon and I have two questions that I was hoping you guys could help me with.

-How are the crowds mid June, and would the Quick Que be worth the price for a one day trip?

-Do the All-You-Can-Eat wrist bands still get you half-off beer all day?

Read my post about the All Day Dining, here:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53855&start=4070

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know about Gwazi's current and future status? I just went to BGT yesterday and saw that a temporary bridge was put In over the Tiger side's track in the station. It was for riders that had "reserved" seats in the middle few rows (what's that about?). The entire track is also already pretty rusty; I doubt it will be running any time this season.

052413155532.thumb.jpg.ae0b3adb21b4b35b5851f496d563f136.jpg

Guest entry way built over Tiger's track.