TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

^^ I don't know if BGT is willing to do that. I feel like they already tried to make the ride a better experience and it did not work out well so they might just scratch it off entirely. I hope they do not. But the way things are going at BGT now (Rhino Rally, Possible new tower ride, attendance not what they hope for) makes me feel like they may just give up on Gwazi.

Does anybody know if this park has anymore vacant land for new projects? It looks like the waterpark has some. There is a sizable parcel to the north of Congo River Rapids with a pond on it. Does Busch own this and if so, are they allowed to develop it?

Are there any other areas for expansion of the dry park, but obviously not at the expense of the animals?

http://maps.google.com/?vm=r&s=1

I don't think BGT is ready to give up on Gwazi just yet..Agreeing with the previous post about it, the park does have a lot on their plate right now as far as projects go. As far as the land goes I do think BG owns the land behind Kumba with the pond. And Cheetah Hunt only has a single rider line when it is extremely crowded and they have the staff to open one. Always ask at the heightstick because you might get lucky and come on a day when that happens.

Something to ad to this is that that bridge has been for a long time, at least since my visit on December 18 of last year.

It wouldn't bother me though if they took it out, the MF trains newness effect has worn off and is back to being a downright painful woodie, the world could use some more RMC love.

The bridge has been there a while. Although it didn't take but a day to install the thing. They could probably take it out just as easily. Gwazi is incredibly painful and I think it would be a great idea to get RMC to do something with it eventually. I would also hate to see Gwazi go but sometimes that's what happens when a park can't figure out anything to do with a ride. Although they probably won't do anything with it in the near future, I think they'll start planning something eventually. I still have hope for it

The bridge has been there a while. Although it didn't take but a day to install the thing. They could probably take it out just as easily. Gwazi is incredibly painful and I think it would be a great idea to get RMC to do something with it eventually. I would also hate to see Gwazi go but sometimes that's what happens when a park can't figure out anything to do with a ride. Although they probably won't do anything with it in the near future, I think they'll start planning something eventually. I still have hope for it

So glad to hear not everybody dislikes Gwazi! I am a HUGE fan of this "moody" coaster... Loved it w/PTC trains... Still do w/the MF trains... We named our cat after the coaster (true story)! I had a SICK feeling 1st time I witnessed Tiger AND Lion trains on the Lion track... Then saw the bridge across the Tiger track, not to mention the nearly stripped Tiger load platform... I have all my limbs and apendages crossed that something good will come out of this...

Great Coasters is still in business - I don't think that they would want Rocky Mountain to come in and build Gwazi better than they could.

Do parks have agreements with ride manufacturers? I know that the park is essentially "on their own" when they finish the ride and hand over the controls, but aren't there agreements for stuff like reconstruction and retracking?

I know that there are plenty of exceptions, like B&M doing the new Steel Dragon trains and KumbaK putting trains on Vekoma rides. But, we've only so far seen Topper track and I-Box conversions on coasters whose companies are out of business - the Riverside Cyclone made by Cobb, Tremors made by the [technically] defunct CCI and Texas Giant made by Dinn, for example.

I'm going to Busch Gardens Tampa in just over two weeks and I am wondering what people think of the online ticket deal where you pay $85 and get admission + food all day. Does anyone know how this works? Are only some restaurants are available for the ticket or all restaurants? And is it unlimited food or limited to two meals a day or something?

Even if it's only two meals only, that's fine!

I'm going to Busch Gardens Tampa in just over two weeks and I am wondering what people think of the online ticket deal where you pay $85 and get admission + food all day. Does anyone know how this works? Are only some restaurants are available for the ticket or all restaurants? And is it unlimited food or limited to two meals a day or something?

Even if it's only two meals only, that's fine!

Purchase the ticket online and print it out. You will have 2 vouchers. One for admission, and another for All Day Dining. Once you enter into the park, follow the walk around to the right, and Zegora Cafe will be on your left.

Exchange your All Day DIning voucher for a wrist band and you are good to go!

Get to the park early and get the wrist band first thing, then head over to Cheetah Hunt, then Montu. (After Montu, cut through Edge of Africa, and head toward the back of the park.)

Play N Dine Deal (My favorite and best food value at a theme park. This ticket is available online only. Basically you pay for admission and get All Day Dining for free. Bird Gardens Buffet "Garden Gate Cafe" is included. Upstairs sit down style dining at Crown Colony is not included. Down stairs restaurant at CC is included.)

Example:

Each time you go through the line you are welcome to an entree with a side, 20oz drink, and a second side OR dessert. In the photo below is what I got at Desert Grill in Timbuktu. I opted for watermelon as my second side, and sweat tea for the drink.

580821_3487613551212_1520633398_n.jpg

Most of the time I get Fruit Punch due to it being too hot for cola.

Can be used at Zagora Cafe, Crown Colony Cafe, Garden Gate Cafe, Bengal Bistro, Zambia Smokehouse (excludes baby back ribs), and Desert Grill (excludes baby back ribs).

You can go in any of these listed restaurants and get just a drink if you want! You do not HAVE to get the whole meal.

If you are going one day, then this is the ticket for you. If you plan to visit more than once, I suggest the Fun Card which is pay for a day, come back all year. THEN, purchase the All Day Dining separately. (which is what I normally do.)

Make time to see Iceploration, Critter Castaways, and the show in the Desert Grill.

When you ride Montu, ride it in the front in the morning after you ride Cheetah Hunt. Then, later in the day, ride Montu in the last row, left seat.

I basically spelled out the Play N Dine deal for you. If you have further questions about BGT, contact me. I know my BGT. Absolutely love that park.

^ THANK YOU so much!

I will definitely be going with that ticket. What a deal! BGT is the last park of my trip and I fly home the next morning, so I will be sure to take advantage of this ticket so I don't have to get airport food!

And thank you for the tips of where to head ride-wise!

Yea, if you plan on being there all day, definitely get the deal. My dad, sister, and I once purchased it, and it was nice to be able to go to any food store on the list and just grab a quick snack or drink. You don't need to get the entire meal every time. It'd worth the upfront cost! Enjoy your visit! And maybe I'll be working Montu the day you visit!

Yea, if you plan on being there all day, definitely get the deal. My dad, sister, and I once purchased it, and it was nice to be able to go to any food store on the list and just grab a quick snack or drink. You don't need to get the entire meal every time. It'd worth the upfront cost! Enjoy your visit! And maybe I'll be working Montu the day you visit!

Yeah, that will be awesome. I'll be there April 12th, all day. My friend I'm going with is also a TPR reader, so I'd love to say hello if you're working. Just PM me when you know.

Oh Gwazi . . . this was my first trip to Busch Gardens ever. I went about three weeks ago. It was the week before Tampa "spring break," so the park was completely dead. I did not wait in one line, except for a 15 minute line for Cheetah Hunt.

Now back on track, or off track. I had heard about Gwazi's state but I had no idea what to expect. I always hear mixed opinions here, and on other sites. I always give coasters the benefit of the doubt and try to ride with no pre-conceived notions,as far as the experience goes. I mean, before Voyage was re-tracked, everyone complained, but I thought it was awesome.

However, Gwazi was not such a great experience. Despite the lack of trims, the train shuffled and vibrated so much that it seemed to loose all momentum. The only airtime to be had was in the front. The back was so painful, and lacked airtime except for the first drop. I've never really wanted a ride to end, but my ride in the back of Gwazi was so terrible, I wanted off, & the restraint kept getting TIGHTER & TIGHTER!

Don't get me wrong I love GCI coasters, especially Thunderhead and Roar West. But, I definitely noticed the Tiger side in dis-repair. The track was rusting, the chain lift was rusted. And, they were using one Tiger, and one Lion train on the Lion side. How can this coaster be a part of such a great line-up? Maybe this is why Busch parks never went with Woodies? I hope something good is in store, and I wonder if this coaster will ever duel again, especially due to the accidents at IOA. Is the "non-dueling" a state-wide thing?

It is sad to see the tiger side in disrepair and it would be great if RMC came in and put track topper on it and put the hifive element on the hill at the end. Also I think they can run both sides unlike dueling dragons because they have a mesh barrier on the air time hill. Plus does anyone know the progress on the new show at the stanleyville theater? Oh and I think they have done the bridge thing before so I'm not too worried about gwazi and did anyone try to look if they were doing work somewhere else on the tiger side.

I think part of the disappointed with the MF trains is the fact the park did a great job of a complete retracking of the ride - only they did it a year before the MFs arrived so the PTCs had plenty of time to beat it the track up.

I'm no engineer so I could be completely off here but is there a bigger issue than just the track? Was the ride built different because it was one of GCI's first? Does the MFs trains require a different support structure to brace their weight (I assume they are heavier than PTCs)?

I'm no engineer so I could be completely off here but is there a bigger issue than just the track? Was the ride built different because it was one of GCI's first? Does the MFs trains require a different support structure to brace their weight (I assume they are heavier than PTCs)?

Let's put it this way. Gwazi was GCI's 4th coaster. I have not ridden all four, but from what I've heard, Wildcat and Roar West are great, while Gwazi and Roar East are terrible. So I don't understand why they would be 50/50 between their early coasters.

^I would hardly say that WildCat and Roar are "great". I think a more accurate description would be "they don't try to murder you as much as Gwazi and Roar East do".

Does the MFs trains require a different support structure to brace their weight (I assume they are heavier than PTCs)?

I'm pretty sure they are much lighter than the PTCs.

^ I don't remember if I read it, heard it at a presentation, or heard it as a rumor from some nerd in line but I was always under the impression that the MF trains were actually a lot heavier than PTC trains. To me they feel heavier while riding for some reason if that's even possible to feel, but think about a pre lift section on a GCI (Kentucky Rumbler) compared to something running PTC's (like Raven), the MF trains gets up to speed much quicker over even subtle elevation changes than the PTC's. I think it has something to do with moment of inertia, but I was probably asleep (hungover) during that dynamics class.

Now if only someone at TPR had some knowledge of GCI trains that could possibly solve this debate for us ...........

Well it looks like things are not looking good for Gwazi, rumor has it it will be removed very soon. Screamscape reports that during a behind the scenes tour a visitor was told by the park Gwazi will be removed to make way for a speed coaster to be built around 2015/2016. The trains for Gwazi are said to be shipped to the Williamsburg park for a future wooden coaster going in there in the near future. I'm quite sad Busch never considered trying the Rocky Mountain treatment to make this ride rideable.

Source: http://www.screamscape.com/html/busch_gardens_tampa.htm

(4/8/13) While Busch Gardens has still not been willing to make any comments or answer my questions about the future of Gwazi in the park, one reader claims to have seen what appeared to them to be one of Gwazi’s inactive trains taken apart and the cars mounted to wooden platforms and set alongside one of the park’s backroads, as if they were being shipped out somewhere.

There is an interesting rumor claiming that if Gwazi’s was shut down at some point in the future, the trains (which are only a couple of years old) would be shipped to Busch Gardens Williamsburg. This would be a very intriguing move since that park has no wooden coaster at all, but has long been rumored to be interested in building one on the former site of Drachen Fire, possibly as part of a whole new land themed to Spain, or part of an expansion of the existing German themed Oktoberfest area. For more on what the future of BGW may hold… make the jump over to that page.

As for the future of Gwazi, a reader took the early morning Roller Coaster Experience tour at the park not long ago and during the Gwazi portion of the tour, did ask a few questions about the future of the ride. According to the mechanic who talked to the group at that portion of the tour, the Tiger side is closed permanently. They also told the group that the coaster was expected to be removed in the next year or two to make way for a new “Speed Coaster” that would open in 2015 or 2016.

Edited by robbalvey

While I may have a nostalgic soft spot for Gwazi and remember it being a pretty fun addition when it first opened, it has been nothing but a headache for the park to operate. Back when the trains would duel, the loading procedure was slow. The Florida heat + constant years of PTCs abusing the twisted tracks just took its toll on the track despite BGT's best efforts to keep the ride running well by retracking the hardest impacted sections.

I thought MF trains would ease the problem, but alas, it didn't make much of an impact.

Here's hoping that "speed coaster" rumor is true, it's just kind of weirdly depressing hearing about the way Gwazi is run now.

^The loading procedures have been slow, even when they weren't dueling the trains. It really was inexplicable why this was always the case, considering that every other ride in the park (except for maybe Scorpion) pushes people through the lines so efficiently.

I personally never thought Gwazi was ever unbearably rough, though I did experience a few runs (mostly on the old PTCs) where I was shaken a bit more than I'd normally enjoy. Unlike Son of Beast, which I think deserved to fall, I really hope that the structure for Gwazi doesn't go to waste. The current ride might not hold up to some of the newer thrills anymore, but knowing what insane things Rocky Mountain Construction is doing with old woodies, it seems a loss to take a good layout and a solid structure and tear it down for a "speed coaster" (whatever that is). There are so many possibilities out there that could ensure that Gwazi is salvaged in some capacity. I truly hope Busch Gardens explores some of those options before sending in the bulldozers.

Totally fine with Busch Gardens getting rid of Gwazi. Seems a bit drastic and I'm not sure I totally buy the rumor, but I can't imagine them putting in anything worse! I think BGT could really use a DarKastle type ride and would love to see something like that instead or in addition to a coaster.

I didn't think Gwazi was quite as bad as I'd heard it was when I first rode it in 2006, but I did think it was worse with the Millennium Flyers, which surprised me. Perhaps the rider was too far gone to be redeemed by the time it got them.

As for BGW, we shall see. They haven't formally announced anything regarding the old Drachen Fire space, and I imagine they won't until the end of summer.