TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

^I'd wait and check the place out when you get there, It's been a few years but I've been to BGT several times during "Spring Break" and the crowds were always fairly light during the week. BGT doesn't seem to get nearly the number of visitors during the off season that the Orlando parks do.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/busch_gardens_tampa.htm

While Spring is quickly approaching, no one seems to be sure if Gwazi will be able to return running both the Tiger and Lion sides or not when the busy crowds start to show up for Spring Break. Based on the messy half-disassembled state of the Tiger train on left in the shed, things are not looking good. Plus the second train that was previously on the maintenance track to the left of this one is now entirely missing in action. Anyone know a bit more about what plans are in store for the Gwazi in 2013?

db_2013_0311_GwaziBridge1.jpg.06e3aa914ec1421d38fb50ba89649ae4.jpg

db_2013_0311_GwaziTigerTrain21.jpg.6307890cd078b541a9f76443e2b1a92d.jpg

^^If they have any mercy at all, they'll tear the whole thing down.

^The new trains only helped for a short time. They would have had to completely rebuild the track from the ground up for the new trains to make a difference since there was already so much irreversible damage done to the track from the PTCs.

It just seems BGT has given up on Gwazi. I hope it won't sit there for a few seasons then get torn down like SOB. I think they could get RMC or any of the companies to come in and fix Gwazi. It makes me mad because BGT has great coasters but then you see Gwazi just rotting away.

I like gwazi and honestly did not find it that rough in 2011 when I went on it. It's honestly not my favorite ride and sits there with trains getting sent off once every five minutes. They need a better loading system and maybe a RMC dulling coaster makeover. I wouldn't really hate to see it go as its not one of my favorites. But if they completely knock it down they would have room for something very big. I might be going on spring break weekend and I will try to check it out again. I went last January and I was going to ride it but lines were over an hour to ride it. I hope it gets better soon!

I just went on it a couple weeks ago and It vibrated a bunch in like an exaggerated boulder dash kinda way but I wouldn't say that its "rough". It doesn't slam you around or jackhammer at all. Its also worth noting that I rode it in the very back which theoretically should be roughest. I do hope they decide to keep it because I thought it was a very fun ride with some very unique elements. I regret not it more than a couple times! (dammit montu why do you have to be so much better than everything else)

^Even if RMC could get their hands on it for a "normal" re-profile. As in, no Iron Horse or Topper track. RMC has done a phenomenal job making Predator at Darien Lake tolerable again.

I'd like to see whatever it is RMC is doing to GACyclone a few hours north done to Gwazi. It's a great layout, I'd really hate to see it go away. If that's what it takes to keep it around, do it.

Went to the park today, just a couple of notes

Kumba was operating, what an excellent coaster. Is it usually considered a forceful B&M? It felt very smooth and forceful while riding

I noticed the Gwazi situation, it was very weird, the quick queue line is a bridge over one of the Gwazi stations, just very odd. Gwazi was horrid, very rough and unenjoyable.

Park was VERY busy today, almost all major rides had 1hr long waits, Quick Queue unlimited was for sure worth it.

Edited by 1pizza14

I have a few questions:

2) I see Play & Dine tickets for $85 online, is this a good deal? The cheapest one day ticket I saw on their website was $80, so of course I would take the $5 extra, but I wonder if I'm missing something...

Admission is $80 per person and the All Day Dining is $33 per person at the park gates.

Play & Dine is a great deal! I do it every year. It's the best value for a one day trip to BGT.

If you plan to go more than once, get the Fun Card. Pay for a day, come back all year (parking not included.)

Is it being removed for the new rumored drop tower?

Would be very sad. Looks like I was lucky to ride it a few times about a month ago. I really love Inverter, Looping Starships, Ranger and Traumboote. But sadly these inverting thrill rides die out one by one. One should ride every one of it still operating while they last.

Next to that I'm not a frined of drop towers - with maybe the exception of Disney's HTHs. You wait nearly forever and get a ride that is not very thrilling and lasts only a few seconds...

Can hopefuly console myself riding the Flying Shark - a Huss Ranger - at Hansa-Park soon...

^^ Agreed 100% the play and dine is a great deal just for the beverages alone. Last time I went it was a very hot day (not all that unusual in Florida) so I got many many beverages throughout the day. Only caveat bring you had to go into the restaurants to get the drinks.

It is a bit odd that as well built and GP Friendly as GCI's are they now have what two sitting and rotting?

I don't feel that the new trains helped at all. Rocky Mountain it all the way!!!!

They helped for about three weeks, after that arrrrgh! Also, my guess is that Phoenix is down for it's annual referb. They usually do it around this time of year.

Edited by Erik Johnson

Also, my guess is that Phoenix is down for it's annual referb. They usually do it around this time of year.

Glad to hear that. Olive that little ride and it seemed popular with families when I was there. Never a line but consistent full trains on a fairly slow day.

Such a darned shame to see Gwazi in that state. I remember being hyped about Millennium Flyer trains finally being installed on it and when I finally rode it, it just reduced the ride to just vibrating a whole lot.

I smell RMC refurb in a few years, market it as a "new experience" much like Sheikra getting floorless trains, and possibly improving operations so that Gwazi could "duel" again for old times sake (despite that being problematic with wait times).