TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I'm convinced the naming people at Busch are on crack!

When I think of the word 'Dive' I think of two things; water and head first. Neither of which will be involved in a desert themed drop tower.

I really don't care, I just think it's amusing!

It's simple, theme the ride to an oasis, surround the ride platform with water and tilting seats for the "dive" off of a giant Palm Tree.

Nah they're on crack.

Maybe they're putting in a sleazy bar as part of the theming: "After your big drop, relax with a cold one at the Desert Dive."

• 3 weeks later...

Busch Gardens has sent us a press release regarding this year's Summer Nights offerings!

Busch Gardens’ Summer Nights amps up the excitement year after year, and 2012 promises to offer even more after-dark entertainment and fun for the whole family with a new Latin-infused show at the Desert Grill and—for the first time ever—an amazing fireworks finale every night of the event.

From June 9 through Aug. 12, guests will experience extended park hours, special entertainment, high-energy DJs, and the thrill of riding world-class coasters in the dark, including Busch Gardens’ new triple-launch coaster, Cheetah Hunt.

The award-winning Kinetix show returns to Summer Nights with nightly performances of its rock-fueled blast of music and acrobatics. Kinetix’s energizing performances include live musicians, singers, dancers and artists from around the world. Their thrilling performance – along with modern music and pyrotechnic effects – will pump up the crowd every night in Gwazi Park at 9 p.m. Gates open at 8 p.m., so arrive early to ensure a good spot and enjoy the Party Starters’ pre-show interactive games and dancing.

NEW Fireworks Light Up the Sky Every Night

Celebrate the perfect end to the evening with an amazing fireworks finale. Busch Gardens lights up the sky every night of the event with an incredible aerial display set to popular music. The best views are in Gwazi Park, right after the nightly Kinetix show, but the fireworks are visible from all over the park.

NEW “Let’s Get Loud” Takes the Stage in the Desert Grill

Singers, dancers and musicians heat up Summer Nights with popular contemporary music and dance, incorporating the Latin flair of Miami’s South Beach. “Let’s Get Loud,” a Miami Dance Party, opens June 9 and will feature music and dance infused with Hispanic heat from well-known artists like Gloria Estefan, Enrique Iglesias and Ricky Martin.

On Fridays and Saturdays, the Party Starters will host dance challenges all day throughout the park and pick the most outgoing guests to compete in the Dance-Off competition that evening. The Dance-Off will be a three-round competition starting at 7 p.m. in the Desert Grill. The audience picks the winner with “the best moves” by applause, and first prize is four tickets to come back to Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

Don’t forget that Busch Gardens is the place to be this summer – both day AND night – with brand-new attractions that offer exciting entertainment for everyone. Busch Gardens just opened its biggest ice show ever, Iceploration, bringing to life an all-new adventure filled with world-class skaters, original costumes, amazing aerial performances, master puppetry and live animal stars. The park’s new Animal Care Center welcomes guests to closely observe and even take part in the animal care experience in this new state-of-the-art facility. And the park’s newest mega-attraction and Florida’s first triple-launch coaster, Cheetah Hunt, launches riders from 0 to 60 in a matter of seconds. If going from zero to cheetah is not your speed, guests can watch as Busch Gardens’ cheetahs sprint several times a day in Cheetah Run.

Park hours for Summer Nights are extended until 9 p.m. Sundays through Thursdays and until 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. Summer Nights is included with a day’s paid admission or any annual pass.

For more information on Summer Nights and Busch Gardens, visit BuschGardens.com or call 1-888-800-5447.

840573725_BGTFireworks.jpg.thumb.jpg.194b6a13a3c057d2773c00223d202ac7.jpg

Adventure Island has also sent us a press release about their Island Nights offerings for the Summer of 2012!

Adventure Island heats up this summer with a family-friendly sunset celebration during Island Nights. From June 14 to Aug. 11, Busch Gardens’ water park transforms into an island of fun in the sun with live music, eclectic entertainment, tropical wildlife and island-inspired cuisine.

Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night from 5 to 9 p.m., DJs rev up the energy with music, dancing and games on the beach. Street performers, larger-than-life stiltwalkers and a steel drum band keep the celebration going until 9 p.m. each event night.

Magicians, jugglers and skilled fire performers captivate guests as they enjoy a vacation from the everyday. Guests can also sample the tastes of the islands with unique offerings added to the daily menu, including island shrimp, empanadas, black beans and rice, sangria and frozen drinks.

Open Late ALL Summer Long

Returning in 2012, Adventure Island will be open late every night this summer! From June 14 to Aug. 12, hours are from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The best way to escape to Adventure Island every night this summer is with an Adventure Island Weekday Pass. Pay for a day and come back any WEEKDAY – that includes any Thursday or Friday of Island Nights – all season long.

Island Nights is the perfect nighttime escape for all ages, and admission is included with any daily park admission or Adventure Island Pass. Visit AdventureIsland.com for more information.

About Adventure Island

Located right across the street from Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Adventure Island is 30 acres of water-drenched fun in the sun featuring the ultimate combination of high-speed thrills and tropical, tranquil surroundings for guests of all ages.

Thrilling slides and tube rides include Riptide, Wahoo Run, Key West Rapids, Runaway Rapids, Everglides, Calypso Coaster, Aruba Tuba, Caribbean Corkscrew, Water Moccasin and Gulf Scream. Guests can also stretch out on the beach or in the 17,000-square-foot wave pool, play on professional sand volleyball courts, breeze through tropical gift shops or let the current sweep them through a half-mile of lush landscapes and tropical waterfalls on the Rambling Bayou.

1312528661_IslandNightsFireBreather.thumb.JPG.7e7e4ac0f9a4081e0fcc649ce543a302.JPG

So they're doing a nightly fireworks display this year. I'm glad to see they're upping the ante on their nightly entertainment, but I wonder how annoyed the employees will be after giving up the top level of the parking garage all summer long.

Illuminights has been pretty successful in Williamsburg. I'm glad to see Tampa getting their own version of it. Williamsburg's event stays open until 10 every night though. Not sure why BGT's operating hours are different.

Are they not doing the Kinetics Show (or whatever it was called last year)? I was pretty impressed with that, and very surprised at how good it was. I went in not really expecting much but ended up having great time watching that show, and even thought it was good enough to warrant a return trip to the Summer Nights Event this year, but I guess not.

Yeah the Water Park after dark event does sound cool, I've always wondered why no water parks in the Orlando area have ever tried to host an after hours or separate ticket event, especially at Disney. You know if they held a Pirates Splash and Slide party or whatever at Typhoon Lagoon the Disney nerds would jump all over it.

Yeah the Water Park after dark event does sound cool, I've always wondered why no water parks in the Orlando area have ever tried to host an after hours or separate ticket event, especially at Disney. You know if they held a Pirates Splash and Slide party or whatever at Typhoon Lagoon the Disney nerds would jump all over it.

The main reason, park and/or pool lights. Most water parks are not setup with pathway lights and given the already mounting dangers, darker areas and blind spots could prove deadly for inexperienced swimmers.

Typhoon Lagoon used to host a lot of Extra Magic Hours at night, but not in recent memory. That said, they still do have private surf events at night...

• 3 weeks later...

So I saw this at Busch Gardens today:

For one of the trains, a bar was put on the headrest in front of your seat so that you can use that to get up, instead of putting your hands near the shoulder restraints in front of you. They clearly say don't put your hands there, and the first person I noticed when I saw this train put his hands on the side and almost got a finger squished.

tpr.jpg.d18a1aac7f8d90c7033cf0b190a3f587.jpg

Edited by jjune4991

My roommate works at BG and he heard that the project may have been put on hold until 2014. He may have heard it from the Dippin' Dots man, but since we haven't heard much recently, I don't know. I hope it will be done by next summer so I can ride it before I leave Tampa.

• 2 weeks later...

According to HowlOScream's FB Page, Zombie Mortuary is returning this year while Death Row is leaving! Hopefully Deconstruction will be leaving as well. Also, the Thursday 4-pack and Fright Feast will also be returning.

Well, gang, it's no 10,000, but 1,990 is nothing to sneeze at! I'm impressed. And because I'm impressed, I'll give you a nibble: One of the houses that shall return this year is Zombie Mortuary. One of the houses that shall not is Death Row Vengeance.

Definitely having Thursday 4-pack and Fright Feast -

I had an informal chat with the gentlemen in charge of HOS (whose name escapes me at the moment) during BGT Bash last year, and he mentioned that Death Row Vengeance had run its course (that is, the space inside the building was beat to death).

I was quite impressed with HOS last year--it was more fun than Halloween Horror Night at Universal.