TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

I was thinking about going NYE and having some fun, but it's probably going to be insanely crowded and just not worth it (will just hang out with the boyfriend and get dinner & drinks instead). I have a 2 year annual pass that doesn't expire until the middle of January 2013, so I'll do another run at the park next month sometime. Since I start my new job this Tuesday, no more weekday visits for me for awhile (sucks because I've really enjoyed the almost non-existent crowds on weekdays the last 3 months... you get spoiled after awhile). I'm actually hoping for a kind of cold day next time I go so I can wear my panda hat and be a dork.

Went to the park yesterday and it was very crowded; Quick Queue definitely helped as it wouldn't have been enjoyable otherwise. Got to finally ride Cheetah Hunt at night and found it to be pretty cool, though I still think night rides on Montu are a little better due to all of the inversions - seeing the city / park lights spin all around you as you flip upside down adds some extra craziness to the ride. Weather at the park was great, and should stay that way for at least another week.

Miscellaneous notes:

- Montu now has Quick Queue merging at the station instead of through the exit, so you get to pick your row.

- Sheikra's crew was a lot faster than in past visits, with little to no stacking (4 trains running), though the person at the turnstile could do a better job at keeping the row lines more organized.

- Cheetah Hunt's crew was doing a little better, though the ride suffered quite a few short periods of downtime throughout the day. Most of the slow boarding issues seemed to be guest related, but the crew at least seemed to be trying to go as fast as they could.

- Gwazi is still getting rougher despite the new trains, but at least the lift hill was smooth! This was the second visit in a row that they were dueling; hope that stays the norm.

- Guests seem to still enjoy pounding on the glass to the annoyance of the cheetahs.

Went to the park yesterday and it was very crowded; Quick Queue definitely helped as it wouldn't have been enjoyable otherwise. Got to finally ride Cheetah Hunt at night and found it to be pretty cool, though I still think night rides on Montu are a little better due to all of the inversions - seeing the city / park lights spin all around you as you flip upside down adds some extra craziness to the ride. Weather at the park was great, and should stay that way for at least another week.

Miscellaneous notes:

- Montu now has Quick Queue merging at the station instead of through the exit, so you get to pick your row.

- Sheikra's crew was a lot faster than in past visits, with little to no stacking (4 trains running), though the person at the turnstile could do a better job at keeping the row lines more organized.

- Cheetah Hunt's crew was doing a little better, though the ride suffered quite a few short periods of downtime throughout the day. Most of the slow boarding issues seemed to be guest related, but the crew at least seemed to be trying to go as fast as they could.

- Gwazi is still getting rougher despite the new trains, but at least the lift hill was smooth! This was the second visit in a row that they were dueling; hope that stays the norm.

- Guests seem to still enjoy pounding on the glass to the annoyance of the cheetahs.

I hope you enjoyed yourself on Monday! I was working that day we had a 75 minute wait when i got there at 2! But the line made my day go by A lot faster!

I'll post pictures tomorrow, but I'll talk about my day now.

We got into the park around 10:45ish and it didn't take long to realize that the park was sooper dooper crowded. So basically, if you went today and didn't have $50 to dispose of for an unlimited quick queue pass, you were in for a very long day. Luckily, I had some holiday money that got me 5 rides on Cheetah Hunt, 3 on SheiKra, and 1 on Kumba (wasn't feeling Montu today).

In the late morning, the Cheetah Hunt crew was horrific. They took their time as they slowly pulled the seat belts of every car and there was at least a 5 minute gap between each dispatch. At least some crew members had some funky cheetah merchandise on, they looked pretty funny. SheiKra's crew was exceptional. They almost prevented stacking; there was maybe 15-30 seconds with 3 trains on the brakes waiting for the 2 to leave the station, so it was alright. Kumba, like last month, definitely had the winning crew. There was a three train operation and they acted like stacking was illegal. They had the next train on the lift hill by the time the other was going through either the corkscrew or helix section. Before leaving, I took 2 more rides on Cheetah Hunt and the crew was much better by then. I guess they just needed to wake up a bit. I'm very glad I bought the quick queue today because the lines for just about every ride was 90+ minutes.

I thought about hitting the park this weekend, but decided against it as I know it's going to be beyond insanely busy. Even though there are times I'll visit and not ride anything (just see some shows, check out the animals and take lots of photos), but there is NO WAY I'd be able to handle the crowds this week/weekend. It's probably busier than typical summer crowds. I'll wait until maybe the following weekend to go back and have some fun.

I'll post pictures tomorrow, but I'll talk about my day now.

We got into the park around 10:45ish and it didn't take long to realize that the park was sooper dooper crowded. So basically, if you went today and didn't have $50 to dispose of for an unlimited quick queue pass, you were in for a very long day. Luckily, I had some holiday money that got me 5 rides on Cheetah Hunt, 3 on SheiKra, and 1 on Kumba (wasn't feeling Montu today).

In the late morning, the Cheetah Hunt crew was horrific. They took their time as they slowly pulled the seat belts of every car and there was at least a 5 minute gap between each dispatch. At least some crew members had some funky cheetah merchandise on, they looked pretty funny. SheiKra's crew was exceptional. They almost prevented stacking; there was maybe 15-30 seconds with 3 trains on the brakes waiting for the 2 to leave the station, so it was alright. Kumba, like last month, definitely had the winning crew. There was a three train operation and they acted like stacking was illegal. They had the next train on the lift hill by the time the other was going through either the corkscrew or helix section. Before leaving, I took 2 more rides on Cheetah Hunt and the crew was much better by then. I guess they just needed to wake up a bit. I'm very glad I bought the quick queue today because the lines for just about every ride was 90+ minutes.

I was here today also, never seen them use the entire adventure island parking lot as overflow as well as their other overflow lots. I agree kumba's crew was hauling arse. Posted wait time was 75, got through in 15 minutes. (Line was full, with overflow). Montu got a extended queue line since I got back. It was odd to enter the ride from the left instead of at the beginning of the station like before. Line was fast there too, montu's crew was amazing. Cheetah has a 120min wait with trains being launched every 4-5 minutes. It was a nice day, I don't think I would have needed quick queue, though.

Some pictures from yesterday:

20111229152604.jpg.21aabb4d755abf37d295be0e1f6339e0.jpg

a B&M masterpiece greets the park's visitors

1228111125-00.jpg.e0de1f2608caed9a569e153a14a3a19a.jpg

These guys are adorable

1228111150-00.jpg.c8b42175d29d67616aaa60f8bfb60ad1.jpg

one of many CH required shots

1228111202-00.thumb.jpg.844385fc792fb08c315ec8b35046dbd9.jpg

Looks like this goose has laid an egg!

1228111203-00.jpg.646c5f96466b3bd27e379d30efd8e239.jpg

lazy kangaroo

20111229153045.jpg.b1ca63519022dfae3bd0c344e3d0df68.jpg

Critter Castaways. If you've never seen this show, you should. It's like an exotic version of Seaworld's Pets Ahoy!

1228111309-00.jpg.8a1af24fdc10e0b4f6299fb0d45c467b.jpg

another required CH shot

20111229153337.jpg.7883e468c703497855041daeb1926054.jpg

This elephant was taking a stand-up nap

1228111529-00.thumb.jpg.ae7b5e09d7eb84230e37039980e26039.jpg

The new Animal Care center is just about finished and should be ready for its January opening!

1228111530-00.thumb.jpg.bb856de7aa80c24e38cec25e6cd82535.jpg

more of the structure. It stretches from the Elephant interaction area up to the Serengeti tours building

1228111509-00.thumb.jpg.0060e7acd8c5c1ddaa71f13b275af56e.jpg

Jungala

20111229153440.jpg.58ffe1efbe0aab18aaa19cef458418f8.jpg

Intamin sexiness

1228111533-00.thumb.jpg.c46021ddc433daa0a682b9fc203eb346.jpg

More Intamin sexiness

1228111532-00.jpg.8881e5627f9be3500aa8ee9322b1fcfc.jpg

I believe one of these is the new baby gazelle

1228111602-00.jpg.8a262dc8cd07afaf44813a7af0dd0b8e.jpg

For all of you LSM enthusiasts

1228111612-00.thumb.jpg.41ac38aac2836971fac45a5f5ebcdf5b.jpg

Thanks for a great year BGT!

1228111755-00.thumb.jpg.9148d7fbe3ee40637a6b24fdd3ed86e5.jpg

And to finish off this brief TR, a highway sunset!

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press release regarding the latest addition to their ever-growing animal family, just in time for the new year!

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay welcomed a new baby female reticulated giraffe on Tuesday, December 27, 2011. At 5 foot, 7 inches tall and weighing approximately 127 pounds, the newborn is the calf of father, Jafari and mother, Tesa, who has previously given birth to four other calves at Busch Gardens.

This new addition brings the park’s reticulated giraffe population to 18. The term “reticulated” refers to the giraffe’s net-like pattern of spots.

Mother and baby are currently in an area out of guest view so they can be closely monitored by zoo staff to ensure the baby is nursing and growing properly. The duo will join the other animals on the Serengeti Plain in about three months.

A giraffe’s gestation period is approximately 15 months, and the new baby will nurse for about one year. This birth is part of a successful long-term breeding program at Busch Gardens.

Busch Gardens’ 65-acre Serengeti Plain is a naturalistic habitat featuring a diverse population of free-roaming African animals including giraffe, zebra, white rhinoceros, eland antelope and several other species of hoof stock and birds.

You can view these amazing animals from the Serengeti Express, the Skyride or on a Serengeti Safari, an open-truck tour during which you can hand-feed reticulated giraffes and get up-close with the other animals on the plain.

350834037_babygiraffe02.thumb.jpg.55555103ccf25c08204144b7ed95b262.jpg

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay has sent us a press release regarding their new deal for the 2012 Preschool Pass!

It’s an awesome time to be a preschooler! Children ages five and younger can now explore the wonders of Africa and the depths of the ocean for FREE with the new Busch Gardens & SeaWorld Preschool Pass. Little ones will experience kid-size thrills at Busch Gardens' Sesame Street Safari of Fun and SeaWorld's Shamu’s Happy Harbor play areas, get up close to their favorite furry and feathered friends, and see new shows brought to life.

The pass is valid for all of 2012 at both SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Kids are welcome to experience all there is to do for the preschool set, including seasonal events such as Summer Nights at Busch Gardens, SeaWorld’s Halloween Spooktacular and festive holiday events at both parks. New this year, Busch Gardens will delight guests with its biggest ice show ever, Iceploration, premiering Feb. 2. And SeaWorld is introducing an all-new festival this year, “Just for Kids!” featuring concerts by Lazy Town, Max & Ruby, the Doodlebops and Choo-Choo Soul, along with plenty of family-friendly fun and activities on Saturdays Jan. 14 through Feb. 4.

Parents and older kids can join in on all the excitement with a Fun Card, which invites guests to pay for a day and play all year through Dec. 31, 2012, with no blackout dates.

“Must-see” preschool attractions at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay

Preschoolers will delight in Sesame Street Safari of Fun, a sunny, funny play land, filled with moments that your family can share for the first time — like a first coaster experience aboard Air Grover. And everyday smiles can be repeated again and again: clapping along to original shows, splashing in an expansive water play area and enjoying kid-size rides.

Also available in Sesame Street Safari of Fun, families can Dine with Elmo and Friends on select days and enjoy special event dining experiences with the characters to mark holidays, character birthdays and more. Beginning in March, opt for the Family Fun Buffet, offered on select days. It’s the perfect way to feed your hungry family during your busy day and not miss out on any of the fun! Enjoy an all-you-can-eat buffet along with the chance to meet beloved Sesame Street characters between 12 and 4 p.m. on select days in the Sesame Street Safari of Fun Dining Pavilion. Reservations are not required.

In February, children’s imaginations will go wild when Iceploration takes the ice. The all-new, 30-minute show combines ethereal ice skating, larger-than-life puppets, amazing costumes and even animal stars. Iceploration opens Feb. 2, 2012 with shows daily in the Moroccan Palace Theatre. Another family favorite at Busch Gardens is “Critter Castaways,” in which a cast of unlikely characters – including dogs, cats, parrots and exotic animals – come together to create a side-splitting show with surprise twists that will have the whole family laughing.

There are plenty of animal encounters and pint-sized rides for families with young children to enjoy as well. In Jungala, families can connect with the jungle through a three-story play land, enjoy a water play zone and come face to face with exotic and endangered animals. At Jambo Junction, guests can have up-close interactions with animals such as flamingos, lemurs and sloths. And in Timbuktu, a carousel and other junior rides will delight those not ready for the major coasters. And what preschooler doesn’t enjoy a train ride? You and your little one can journey across the Serengeti Plains to view zebra, rhino and giraffes aboard the Serengeti Express.

Some additional features that Busch Gardens offers families with young kids include stroller parking and reduced prices on kids’ meals in 2012. Parking spots are available within our preferred parking area designated strictly for guests with strollers, so they can bypass the tram. No additional fee is required, and spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis to guests who request them at the parking tollbooths. At the park’s restaurants, kids’ meals are now just $5.99, including a drink, making it even more affordable to not only entertain, but also feed your little ones at Busch Gardens.

SeaWorld loves kids, too

And don’t forget that this awesome new FREE Preschool Pass also includes admission to SeaWorld Orlando. Just a short hour’s drive away, SeaWorld’s littlest guests can enjoy the wildly popular 4-acre play area, Shamu’s Happy Harbor. It’s a kid’s dream come true, complete with kid-size rides, a 4-story net climb, and a great place for parents to relax in the shade. The park’s first family-oriented roller coaster, Shamu Express, can be found here, along with many other kiddie rides to explore.

And that’s in addition to all the wondrous animal encounters at SeaWorld. Your family can meet penguins, dolphins, fish, rays, sharks, and, of course, Shamu!

The Free SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Preschool Pass is an online-only offer, available at BuschGardensTampaBay.com or SeaWorldOrlando.com. It is exclusively for Florida residents ages 5 and younger and is valid for unlimited admission – with no blackout dates – through Dec. 31, 2012 at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and SeaWorld Orlando. The Preschool Pass does not include parking or Premium Passport discounts or benefits.

After registering through either park’s website, registrants can pick up the Preschool Pass for their child by bringing a printed confirmation and a certified copy of the child’s birth certificate to any ticket window at Busch Gardens’ or SeaWorld’s front gate.

For more information on the Free SeaWorld and Busch Gardens Preschool Pass, visit BuschGardensTampaBay.com or SeaWorldOrlando.com.

There was also a new article about Busch Gardens Tampa Bay's new ice skating

http://www.tampabay.com/features/travel/attractions/busch-gardens-new-show-includes-animals-helium-filled-puppets/1208902

A new ice show opening in February at Busch Gardens will include live animals on-stage and helium-filled puppets.

Iceploration tells the story of a computer savvy preteen whose grandfather thinks he's not as connected to the world as he thinks. So they travel on a 30-minute journey to the four corners of the earth, accoridng to a news release about the new show. The multi-sensory story, told through theatrical skating by a cast of 20 with an all-new original score, is the collaboration of an award-winning creative team with Broadway credentials, including Tony Award-winning costume designer Gregg Barnes (The Drowsy Chaperone, Best Costume Design Tony winner 2007, and Legally Blonde the Musical, Best Costume Design Tony nominee 2007).

The show opens Feb. 2 at the Moroccan Palace.

In the production, Austin explains how technology has made his generation more connected to the world than ever before. But his grandfather argues that the boy is more disconnected than he realizes, and takes him on an adventure around the globe. Through their travels they visit the African Serengeti, Great Barrier Reef, the Arctic and the Amazon rainforest.

The adventure unfolds as they arrive in the Serengeti, where larger-than-life puppets and intriguing set design bring elephants and other animals to life at a watering hole. Solo and chorus skating performances accompanied by acrobatics tell an anecdote of an agile cheetah stalking graceful gazelles and meerkats.

Austin and Grandpa then dive into the Great Barrier Reef to explore the harmony of life on the ocean floor. A black light transition and never-before-seen helium-filled puppets immerse the audience in the wonders of the sea, filled with parrotfish and lionfish, sea urchins, turtles and a moray eel.

In the Arctic, skaters become snow flurries as a winter storm threatens the travelers. Austin and Grandpa witness even more beauty as they encounter the Aurora Borealis, represented with theatrical lighting and projections. Then they share the stage with live animal stars, including a Siberian lynx and a sled of Siberian huskies as they continue to traverse the tundra.

The two adventurers wrap up their adventure immersed in the lush, tropical Amazon Rainforest. Squirrel monkeys, sun conures and colorful macaws fill the air as playful frogs, and a dragonfly skates into the grand finale: a new signature song called Meet the World.

Iceploration performances are included with any daily park admission or annual Pass. For more information, visit BuschGardens.com.

I haven't heard anything about a drop tower, but that could be interesting.

I was at the park yesterday and it was busy due to the long weekend and it's that time of the year when the tour groups from Brazil & Argentina are out in force. Montu was down a good part of the day, but was back up and running later in the afternoon. Cheetah Hunt had a consistent 40-45 minute wait all day. The animal care center looks great and I'm looking forward to checking out the inside once it opens to guests.

I saw yesterday that the "Let's Dance!" featuring Burn the Floor (Australian ballroom dance group) will be back starting January 18. That was a pretty good show, so looking forward to its return for the winter/spring.