TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

Screamscape has posted some rumors caaught by some rumors from the employees around the park that's upcoming for BGT!

2012/2013 - Rhino Rally Expansion - Rumor - (12/12/11) We’ve heard these rumors before, but the latest word sent in from the spy network claims that the proposed ‘expansion’ to Rhino Rally may begin as early as January 2012. Obviously, since the loss of the attractions finale, they are looking to not only expand the attraction in length, but also come up with some kind of new exciting highlight moment. According to our source, one proposal on the table would see your vehicle actually get hijacked for part of the revamped attraction.

(6/24/11) The latest word from insiders is that the planning is still in progress to expand Rhino Rally. There may be some conflicts between what the Operations side wants to do with the attraction VS what the Animal Care staff want to see happen with the animal habitats, but those kinds of issues are usually normal. The expansion will obviously not be ready by this August, but as previously rumored, the park is also looking into switching out the current Land Rover fleet for some new vehicles as well, and are currently said to be looking at least four different bids.

(6/17/11) According to a report over at Orlando Parks News, a Rhino Ralley driver was heard apologizing to guests about the new “short” version of the attraction, which gave up it’s water portion to Cheetah Hunt. However, they continued by saying that “a new section” to the ride could be open as early as August.

While I had heard myself long ago that plans to expand Rhino Rally were in the works ever since the inception of Cheetah Hunt, it does take a bit of time to build some new roads and access into other animal areas, as well as the possible construction of new habitats built to accommodate the LandRovers, so will it be August or sometime next year?

2012 / 2013 - Drop Tower - Rumor - (12/12/11) The latest word on the rumored drop tower ride proposed for the Sandstorm location claims that the ride may not be planned to open until late 2012 at the earliest, so it sounds like this may be intended more as a 2013 attraction.

(9/21/11) Possibly backing up the rumor of a drop tower coming to the Tampa park, a reader reports that during the grand opening of Cheetah Hunt, they had a moment to speak with “the rides designer (forget his name)”, which I’m guessing may have been Mark Rose. In any case, when they asked him about what was coming next to the park he simply said to watch for what the other parks were getting to figure out what was coming next. Though with the problems the park had putting in Mach Tower in Williamsburg, I’m kind of surprised they would be ready to drop one into Tampa before they’ve had a good bit of time to give the first one a good shakedown. Anyway… this is all still just a rumor at this point, so stay tuned!

(9/19/11) I’m not sure how serious this rumor is, but someone is claiming that the park’s Sand Storm flat ride could be replaced by a new 200 foot drop tower ride, possibly very similar to the Mach Tower ride that just opened in Williamsburg last month. Anyone know more?

2013/2014 - New Show - Rumor - (12/12/11) Word has it that the park is working on ideas and proposals for a new animal based show that could open in a couple of years. No word on just what venue it may go into, but I’m guessing this would likely be for 2013 / 2014.

I just got back from bgt and made it a point to hit sand storm a couple of times. I asked the ride ops on duty if the drop tower rumour was true and she said yes, completely true but for some reason it will be finished in 2014. Just repeating what she said but it sound interesting.

In other news, scorpion was closed for painting and looks really, really good!! <- probably means scorpion will live to sting another day:).

Also, gwazi: tiger was closed and running constant test runs. Apparently there was major track work done.

Kumba was running really rough but it was still my favourite.

66 rides in three days, I have found, is the best way to get your mInd off your boyfriend breaking up with you!!!!

Sorry, forgot...

Also, cheetah hunt was already having problems with its tyre drive system. They had to replace the tyre that moves the train to the first lsm motors. I saw the tyre that came off which looked awful. Is this normal for these tyre drives to have to be replaced that quickly?

I just got back from bgt and made it a point to hit sand storm a couple of times. I asked the ride ops on duty if the drop tower rumour was true and she said yes, completely true but for some reason it will be finished in 2014. Just repeating what she said but it sound interesting.

Yes, because the teenagers working the sandstorm attraction are totally knowledgeable on plans that are years away. Gotta find new sources of information I guess, you know, now that our default informants are out of the action.

Sorry, forgot...

Also, cheetah hunt was already having problems with its tyre drive system. They had to replace the tyre that moves the train to the first lsm motors. I saw the tyre that came off which looked awful. Is this normal for these tyre drives to have to be replaced that quickly?

This is a difficult question to answer unless you define "quickly." I have no idea how often tires have to be replaced on one of these systems, but I imagine that the tires run up quite a few "miles" during an operating day, week, etc.

Edited by cfc

This is a difficult question to answer unless you define "quickly." I have no idea how often tires have to be replaced on one of these systems, but I imagine that the tires run up quite a few "miles" during an operating day, week, etc.

Sorry, I mean that Cheetah Hunt is still very new. It seems to me that it's a little early to hear the tyre losing grip on the train and screeching. I remember that on Georgia Cyclone and to some extent Great American Scream Machine but not on a new ride like Cheetah Hunt. It just sounds a little soon to start having problems like this.

Hey people! I found some of my pictures from Busch Gardens Tampa when I visited back at the beginning of 2010. Nothing too special, not too many, but they're still good to see I guess.

25134_102611079772690_100000713964930_71591_2505732_n.jpg

Yummy, yummy, yummy

25134_102611076439357_100000713964930_71590_3683239_n.jpg

TPR Nature-filled shot

25134_102611073106024_100000713964930_71589_5902602_n.jpg

Parrots...

25134_102611083106023_100000713964930_71592_3497925_n.jpg

Monkeys...

25134_102611089772689_100000713964930_71594_2113255_n.jpg

Eleph- ZOMG! Enough animal pictures!

25134_102611086439356_100000713964930_71593_568365_n.jpg

Ah, thats better.

When I was at the park on Monday...there was not a single person there. We were first on Cheetah Hunt for the day front row and then did back row with no wait. We were also first on Montu. There is still a train with yellow restraints...the black ones might be new and will not be as dirty but I loved the yellow on this ride. Then we did Gwazi lion. Tiger was closed and looked like they rebuilt the lift hill...that's not where it needs it though. Lion was very rough in the front row...I thought they improved this ride?! Sheikra was running great. Christmas on Ice was a lot better than last year. I've also heard a rumor that Phoenix might be replaced with a S&S Giant Swing...similar to Dollywood's version as in height and capacity. If that's also true...I can't wait...I like Phoenix...I just HATE the restraints...

Right now train 2 is the only train on Montu that has the new black OTSR. That train has been in operation (back from refurb) since October at least. Eventually all the trains will get the same treatment. I do like the yellow ones better, they they look so grubby and show dirt too fast. The black ones will look "new" much longer.

What I think Busch Gardens needs is a dark ride of some sort. They have the building for Ackbar's Adventure tours just sitting there pretty much unused (except during Howl-O-Scream). They should do something with that or build something entirely new. I'm not much for the "spin & puke" flat rides anymore. I love me some coasters, but the flat rides get to me sometimes. I'd love to see something "slow paced" for people who don't/can't do coasters and thrill rides to have something to enjoy besides the shows and animal exhibits. I'd also love to see them do more with the Walkabout Way area and add some more animals native to Australia for people to see, like wombats and koalas.

I do want to say that based on my visit to the park today, the operations has gotten much better at the park since May. I definitely give the criticism, but I'll give credit when it's due, as well. Sheikra's crew was showing some signs of urgency for the first time maybe ever, Gwazi's crew was moving quickly and dispatching trains together, something I've NEVER seen, Montu's crew was about par for the course, but not horrible, and Kumba was doing a good job, as well. Cheetah Hunt's crew was moving horrifically slowly, though. The line was 60 minutes later in the day, and I wonder how much the crew had to do with that as opposed to the number of people in line. Either way, fun day at the park, and a pretty light crowd for being a Saturday (thank you, Christmas Eve!).

^ One of the busiest times you can visit the Florida theme parks (if not the busiest) is the week between Christmas and New Years. I highly do not recommend visiting during that time. Sometimes the Orlando parks can reach capacity by late morning. And if that happens, you do not want to be in the parks anyway. You should expect at least 1 hour plus waits for any major attraction and really unusual long waits for minor attractions. Both Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens will be very busy. Only advice is to get to the parks at least 45 minutes to an hour before park opening. Purchase the Universal Express Pass for IOA and the Quick Queue Pass for BGT. Try to eat during none popular eating times like before 11am and after 2pm for lunch. Before 4:30pm or after 7:30pm for dinner. Usually Jan. 1st and the rest of the month of January, the parks are like a ghost town, and a much better time to visit.

^Would it be worth it to go this week, or go when everyone is out for spring break, or wait for next summer.. Only opportunities i have got..

I'd go as far as to say Spring Break is the second busiest time of the year. By all means, go. It's just that you might have a less than decent time with crowds.

^ One of the busiest times you can visit the Florida theme parks (if not the busiest) is the week between Christmas and New Years. I highly do not recommend visiting during that time. Sometimes the Orlando parks can reach capacity by late morning. And if that happens, you do not want to be in the parks anyway. You should expect at least 1 hour plus waits for any major attraction and really unusual long waits for minor attractions. Both Islands of Adventure and Busch Gardens will be very busy. Only advice is to get to the parks at least 45 minutes to an hour before park opening. Purchase the Universal Express Pass for IOA and the Quick Queue Pass for BGT. Try to eat during none popular eating times like before 11am and after 2pm for lunch. Before 4:30pm or after 7:30pm for dinner. Usually Jan. 1st and the rest of the month of January, the parks are like a ghost town, and a much better time to visit.

I'm going tomorrow and already have the Quick Queue Unlimited purchased. Should be worth it with the park closing at 8:30, giving me ~2.5 hours for night rides on all the coasters.

Also, apparently the park is open today if you want some Christmas credits!