TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all you Chowder freaks! Last Saturday, the Boardwalk held it's 30th annual Clam Chowder Cook-Off, and I went for the first time. I took over 50 photos and have selected the best of them to be posted here. Also in this photo TR are photos of the additions to the Carousel building for it's 100th anniversary this year. All photos were taken by me on February 26th, 2011.

Now less talk, and more photos - let's go!

~Nicholas

clam1.jpg.cd5fbfa717616174f1975c3d558b6488.jpg

Clam Chowder Festival!

clam2.jpg.cf0480712f9e89bd85b9ad2303d0267a.jpg

Ticket Booth - $8 for a tasting kit, which allowed you to try 5 different chowders.

clam3.jpg.71b017098db0e2c40ffb0fb7bdce4eee.jpg

The crowd!

clam4.jpg.2fe8b05a405c077bdcc06f1b23494476.jpg

It was a really nice day, but cold! 45 degrees!

clam5.jpg.fa675b490330b16a3d495716d274f235.jpg

Rock out with your clam out!

clam6.jpg.73f1655dea8542c3a0b6c89a98fd6175.jpg

More Chowder connoisseurs

clam7.jpg.4bb8d7a7bd6c3a66db87da29281292a9.jpg

Just to give you a sense of how many people were here...

clam8.jpg.65f99443985134485d53009d5ba2b48f.jpg

From the Hurricane Deck, Chowder fans unite below.

clam9.jpg.7c89dbf465f57c18566b97c23bed2998.jpg

The NEW, slightly taller and higher capacity drop ride from Moser.

clam10.jpg.958cc25371eeedac984d1b6a57745a2c.jpg

Tsunami and the Ferris Wheel up above

clam11.jpg.2244d03ded28999a9f3c5220995ff31c.jpg

Free Fall up close

clam12.jpg.d98d90bb5a5f4cf78a98089b5c3dc53e.jpg

A cool Ferris Wheel shot

clam13.jpg.5ce03e3a7fa684542d525903a99ae972.jpg

The ocean from the Ferris Wheel. It was just snowing in Santa Cruz the night before, and throughout the day.

clam14.jpg.95db6569f7032e90aa5da8cb83569920.jpg

More of Free Fall from the Ferris Wheel.

clam15.jpg.8648a60616d6f1deb7422c3f8a61f4ee.jpg

Some of the additions to the Carousel building for the 100th anniversary later this year.

clam16.jpg.e435235f674b66fc03d31b8b6264285e.jpg

Looks nice!

clam17.jpg.642fbabd63fbb9c1446781839b999799.jpg

Shadows and new carousel additions!

clam18.jpg.af8825b933b0c6a5e5c03458d70afeca.jpg

On the back side, the color is blue.

clam19.jpg.84dd782d06fbf619f3340723707c6a9f.jpg

Yup.

clam20.jpg.3039b51a8bc434709a12550e196f99a7.jpg

Cool colors made from the green windows on the Merry-Go-Round building.

clam21.jpg.14b07203ccf2b5942bb1cdec05f6d119.jpg

A friend of mine!

clam22.jpg.80ffb6cc2e15eb24ecf709a1890bb49f.jpg

Even more friends!

clam23.jpg.35c8a231bc4dd7e8b7134fad8627efaa.jpg

Man, I love my friends!

clam24.jpg.8f6ebb51797d07910e4502c0f8d93c3f.jpg

Don't you wish you had this many friends?!

clam25.jpg.8b637bf12139e89774bdf2f14ad38cb6.jpg

Sea Horses glimmer in the sun a-top the Carousel building.

clam26.jpg.356e2980336da4beb51351a47a19d9aa.jpg

...but wait, I have MORE friends?! WOW!

clam27.jpg.3ad47fd008c79586932e2cecc949daf2.jpg

And to finish the update off, the Hurricane against the sky. Thanks for looking - more photos as time allows. :-)

Very nice carousel pics! I love the colors they used for the outside. I can't wait to see what else they're going to do with the inside.

You also tooks some good pics of the new FreeFall! It's lookin' great!

I wish I had gone to the festival, but it looked VERY crowded... so the pics will work for me.

Please keep us updated!

Thanks!

Well I tried looking into seeing if this tusami that hit some parts of the west coast of the US affected Beachboard walk. I heard reports that the city's marina got battered a little. Crescent city 200+ miles up highway also on the coast. Their marina got wiped out.

Of course any damage that happens/happened wouldn't be nearly as bad as what Japan has got/is getting. Also if I remember correctly the boardwalk is about 15-25 feet high anyway. So i'm not too worried about it.

Yea, Santa Cruz's harbor got a bit messed up due to the way the narrow inlet was. (Sorry, not trying to turn the SCBB thread into the Tsunami/Quake thread, the park just happened to be in the area where some effects of the Tsunami hit). Their harbor is quite narrow and goes back in quite a bit. So the surge (wouldn't call it a tsunami) got concentrated into that little channel, had nowhere to go but straight in. Where the 'walk is, the water looked a little more choppy than normal, and actually the cement walkway is really only 8 or so feet up from the sand. So if something had seriously had come in, the Boardwalk would have gotten a good flushing. I could be wrong also but I think the "River Walk" section of the park is lower than the sand/sea level, could be 100% wrong though. Take a look on SCBB's Facebook page, they uploaded some pictures of the surrounding area around the 'walk, including surfers taking advantage of the nice swells.

The Looff Carousel got a new page on SCBB's website in honor of it's 100th anniversary this year!

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/carousel/

Also, two commemerative 100th anniversary posters are now available and were both designed by the Boardwalk's Art Director Jill James. They can be purchased for only $10!

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/store/product125.html

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/store/product127.html

That's all for now!

~Nicholas

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Grab the Brass Ring Event

April 25- May 1, 2011

To celebrate the ride's 100th birthday, if you grab a brass ring while riding the Carousel you can exchange it at the new "Millions of Memories" store for a prize!

I'll be posting photos of this new store, "Millions of Memories" soon! It's a great new store located on the colonnade between Marini's and Oneil's. The shop has Boardwalk logoed dedicated items including a lot of 100th anniversary Carousel goodies.

Stay tuned!

~Nicholas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for not updating this thread more frequently. A LOT has been happening at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, so I apologize for not keeping you all up to date! Below is a list of some new things at the Boardwalk:

-New Mural on Looff Carousel building.

-New store, "Millions of Memories" opened. (features Boardwalk logo-ed items - lots of 100th anniversary Carousel stuff)

-Street-side improvements on buildings.

-Street-side Giant Dipper sign based off old entrance to ride from the 1950's.

-New "wooden decking" for tables on the Boardwalk (over the sand)

-New sign at ticket booth by Carousel on the street that says, "Santa Cruz Beach"

Today, I have pictures of the first 5 items on the list above. However, the picture I have of the decking is a photo of them still building it. The decking was finished mid last week. I'll be visiting the park tomorrow with friends and I hope to nab a photo of the completed decking along with the "Santa Cruz Beach" sign. ... now, on to the photos!

carousel_mural_01.jpg.57fc65d57cf3c18dc32761791d06695c.jpg

The new mural at the Looff Carousel painted by world-renowned trompe-l'œil artist John Pugh!

mom_fb_04.jpg.69996439cc585e7eac2fd03ca3832c9c.jpg

Sign for the new store, located down the colonnade by Marini's at the Beach(Salt Water Taffy and more!).

mom_fb_05.jpg.7667d057d1c99c8f429ba751665aadc8.jpg

Some of the interior.

streetside_improvements_01.jpg.173074e8c05fb391986436e433d9082a.jpg

Some of the street-side improvements on one of the maintenance buildings.

gd_fb_01.jpg.81952fd4f4e9d582443023888fa0e6bd.jpg

New street-side Giant Dipper sign! Awesome!

scbb_new_decking_01.jpg.2a161b57753146cdfc1cddfd606725d9.jpg

Shot of the decking being built. It starts about 5 feet behind where I took the photo. The blue fence has been removed since completion. ...

=====================

Look for more pics soon - thanks for looking!

I had a really bad day at Santa Cruz 2 days ago.

Really, it's because they didn't let me go in the front of the Giant Dipper. Usually, when you get to the person that lets you go on the ride right before you go on the coaster, I ask the person to wait there to go in the front for the next ride, it always works. Though, this time I wasn't allowed to wait for the front. So, I had to go in a seat in the middle, since the seats before were used up, and I had a really rough ride, much, much worse than Grizzly at Great America. After that, I was really mad because I paid money to go on it. Though, after riding Double Shot for my first time, it replaced Giant Dipper as my favorite ride. Though, beware Giant Dipper might be close to the roughness to Mean Streak (I've never ridden Mean Streak, but I'm basing this off the reviews). I even leaned forward on Giant Dipper, and that just made it worse.

I'm trying not to be negative though it just was that bad.

^Sorry to hear about that! I've never seen something like that before. I don't usually wait for the front because I don't really care where I sit on the ride, but never have heard anyone having a problem with waiting for it before.

You were there on Monday? I was too! When were you at the Giant Dipper?

~Nicholas

^Sorry to hear about that! I've never seen something like that before. I don't usually wait for the front because I don't really care where I sit on the ride, but never have heard anyone having a problem with waiting for it before.

You were there on Monday? I was too! When were you at the Giant Dipper?

~Nicholas

I was there at 5:45 during 1907 Nights.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm heading to SCBB for just a few hours on Wednesday. I looked back through the thread and saw that we should call the morning of to see what rides are open and at what times. My questions for the locals are, during the week are all credits generally open with the park (the calendar says the rides open at 11am), and is it possible to get all the credits done in about 2 hours? Thanks in advance!

I'm heading to SCBB for just a few hours on Wednesday. I looked back through the thread and saw that we should call the morning of to see what rides are open and at what times. My questions for the locals are, during the week are all credits generally open with the park (the calendar says the rides open at 11am), and is it possible to get all the credits done in about 2 hours? Thanks in advance!

First, here's a "secret" about Santa Cruz. On Mondays and Tuesdays after 5pm in the Summers, all the rides are just $1. Hot Dogs and Drinks are also $1, this event is called 1907 Nights.

Other than 1907 Nights, it might take more than 2 hours to do all the credits (Giant Dipper, Hurricane, Logger's Revenge, Double Shot, Fireball, Rock-O-Plane, etc)

First, here's a "secret" about Santa Cruz. On Mondays and Tuesdays after 5pm in the Summers, all the rides are just $1. Hot Dogs and Drinks are also $1, this event is called 1907 Nights.

Other than 1907 Nights, it might take more than 2 hours to do all the credits (Giant Dipper, Hurricane, Logger's Revenge, Double Shot, Fireball, Rock-O-Plane, etc)

You also might want to take into consideration that the Boardwalk might/will be a lot busier with a lot longer lines. I'm speaking from past experiences. I always go at 11am right when the Boardwalk opens because usuallythey're no lines on any rides usually (Plus most/all the rides usually open at 11am). I have gotten 8-10 rides on the Giant Dipper in less than 20-30 minutes.

You also might want to take into consideration that the Boardwalk might/will be a lot busier with a lot longer lines. I'm speaking from past experiences. I always go at 11am right when the Boardwalk opens because usuallythey're no lines on any rides usually (Plus most/all the rides usually open at 11am). I have gotten 8-10 rides on the Giant Dipper in less than 20-30 minutes.

The problem is the Giant Dipper is $5 for 1 ride. The lines aren't that bad in 1907 Nights, I can go on all the major rides in less than 3 hours. Going at 11 am is good with short lines though to pay for an all day wristband is well over $20 and when you go to 1907 Nights, if you're just one person, you probably will pay less than $15.

Also here are some of other things you need to know about the Boardwalk

-Try to get 1st seat on Giant Dipper. They don't allow you to really pick your seats, though the ride operator that opens the chain and lets you through, ask him/her if you can wait for the next ride so you can ride the front. Beware if you don't get the front, it can be a very rough ride.

-Try to get back seat on Hurricane. I've been on almost all of the seats from the front, middle, and back. The back is much more fun and thrilling than any other seat and you have a much better chance at getting it.

-Try the new Freefall ride. It looks like a kiddie ride though I went on it just because it was the new ride for 2011. I thought it was going to be a boring kiddie ride that I'm wasting money for. Though, the ride was actually a lot of fun. It's like being on a drop tower with that feeling that your stomach is in your mouth. Though, that feeling is repeated over a dozen times. The height of the new Freefall ride is around double that of the old one.

-Beware of Rock & Roll and Sea Swings. For those who don't know, Rock & Roll is a Matterhorn and Sea Swings is a Wave Swinger. Both rides are built by Bertazzon America. Both rides are fun, though there are stupids rules that make it very boring. You cannot rock the vehicles (or cars) during the ride and on Sea Swings you cannot raise your hands up and you need to put your hands firmly on the lap bar.

Hopefully these hints will make your visit better.

Thanks for all the replies! I think we may just do a quick credit whore run through the park (Amy has never been there) at 11am for two hours, and just hit the 3 coasters and maybe one or two other rides. Thanks for the seating suggestions, I will definitely try to get those seats. I think we will just do the 50 tickets for $42.95 as there are four of us, and the 3 coasters will only require us to buy a few more tickets. Then we will head to Gilroy Gardens to hit those two credits and anything else we can get by 5pm when it closes. Luckily, we have cedar fair platinum passes so we don't have to pay to enter. I really hope to do a full trip to Santa Cruz again later on though. It's been a while since I've really been there.