TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

^Haunted Castle is a part of the Boardwalk, so it can stay under the umbrella of this thread. Considering the fact that the ride is open, there shouldn't be too much news to discuss about it anymore. That isn't to say there won't be any, but there is nothing to warrant a separate thread just for the one ride.

The purpose of the discussion thread is for all relative discussion to go on in here, but as is our rule elsewhere on the forum, don't post here just to post, or bump the thread just to keep it on the front page of the forum. If people want to talk about the park, they will. If they don't, then this thread will still be here when they decide that they do.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Instead of talking about threads, let's talk about the Boardwalk! So my family and I went last night to the Boardwalk for dollar nights (Tuesday is a good day to go). Had lots of fun, rode great rides, and ate delicious (and unhealthy as I had a Deep Fried Twinkie ) food. It DEFINITELY wasn't as crowded as last week.

Haunted Castle Update:

Again, great ride as always, but again not everything was working. First off, the cars were going way too fast during the ride. It felt though as if the speed was not slowed down from the downward spiral to the swamp. In the swamp, the falling bridge was very late in that you can hear it, but can't see it since you are already past it. As always, in the graveyard the tree falling was late because I hear that in the first couple of rides from coaster-crazy's dad that the tree falls before you reach it. Also, since the cars were moving too fast, the end was ruined because you would stop in the middle of the ride while the animatronics still go (SCBB needs to fix that). At least the executioner and the guillotine were working.

All in all had lots of fun and can't wait to go again. (Which is tomorrow since I am going with coaster-crazy and my grandpa to take pictures as well as take a ride on the Haunted Castle. Ride update should come tomorrow as well to see what's fixed and what's broken.)

DOUBLE DEAL!

@TheCoasterTaco

Yeah, the ride does still have it's kinks, and I'm sure they're working on fixing the ride. I heard they were having trouble with the ride's computers... But oher than the kinks, and fast car speed, the ride is pretty much enjoyable and still fun.

I plan on going back to the 'Walk on August 4th for the Goonies movie event. Should be a lot of fun.

Went to Boardwalk again today to take pictures with coaster-crazy and my grandpa. We only rode one ride which was the Haunted Castle!

UPDATE on Haunted Castle kinks:

The speed of the cars slowed down much more this time so no more stopping at the end and missing the last scene (which I finally experienced correctly. It was amazing and so much fun!) The bridge timing is still late, and the tree is also still late. Another thing that was late was the dungeon guard. One thing that wasn't working was the second bust of the king in the banquet hall. Oh well, I can't really understand him anyway. Well, I don't know the next time I'm going to the Boardwalk so it might be a while before I post another update on the Haunted Castle.

Until then, THE GUILLOTINE AWAITS YOU! Go ride the Haunted Castle and share your review of the ride!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everybody - It's been a while since the last update. I visited the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk this afternoon with some friends, and rode the Haunted Castle twice. The ride was running really well and despite the fast speed at the beginning and the "Santa Cruz" tourist not popping up, everything else was in tip-top shape(for a Castle that is!). One noticeable change was that the music used in the ride starting from the bottom of the spiral, through to the Fire Place scene has changed - It has been replaced with music that was used in the previous Haunted Castle. I do not know if this is permanent, or just the Boardwalk's technicians trying something out.

In this update, we have 3 more UNRELEASED photos courtesy of Rick Bastrup and Richard Ferrin of R&R Creative Amusement Designs. The photos may NOT be used elsewhere unless under permission from Rick and Richard of R&R. Also, the video I have been promising ever since the topic has started, is below. It's a quick 40 second video utilizing beach-side panorama shots I took of the construction from August 22nd, 2009 to June 4th, 2010.

...as always, enjoy.

~Nicholas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PDym04oGCQ

ALL PHOTOS IN VIDEO TAKEN BY ME. DO NOT USE WITHOUT PERMISSION.

PHOTOS BELOW BELONG TO R&R CREATIVE AMUSEMENT DESIGNS. USED WITH PERMISSION.

Kennel_NEW.jpg.09f7ceacdb789421f57139ad83f1cec8.jpg

The Royal Kennels. (The Green eyed dog was originally inside the previous Haunted Castle)

Fireplace_NEW.jpg.f4a11a1e1512253bb3f6cf47e7527b08.jpg

The Fire Place scene. Ahhh... nice and warm!

Swamp_NEW.jpg.99f9e88a08a7e76bde6ee7c169f683d5.jpg

"..off to the swamps with 'ya!"~Ghostly King ... the Swamp Scene.

Great update as always! I was one of the "friends" brought along to ride again. Yes, I did realize the music has changed and I asked the Boardwalk's Facebook page why they changed it. Too bad the tourist wasn't going, but you are almost guaranteed to have something like that happen. I know that the Boardwalk is trying their HARDEST to make sure that everything is working for a great ride experience.

On another note, I finally walked through the Fright Walk! It was a lot of fun and the gags can sometimes get you. The only issue I had was that it was a little too dark in there. I mean I had absolutely NO CLUE where I was going. I guess that's part of the "experience" though. I just would like it a little lighter, but not too light to show what creepy thing is up next to scare you.

All in all great day at the Boardwalk!

Awesome update, Sir Nicholas! I salute you!

Love the kennels pic, and that fire place.... who;s got the marshmallows? And that swamp sure has quite a bit of detail that I've never noticed before.... very cool!

@TheCoasterTaco:

Yes, the Fright Walk sure is frightfully fun! Mwahahahahaha! You seemed to know your way around it though...

Don't think this has been posted yet, but Screamscape.com posted a rumor a few months back about a new coaster:

(5/7/10) Screamscape has heard that the time is coming soon to replace the Hurricane coaster with something new. While we don’t know exactly what is in the works, we’ve heard that it may very well be an Inverted coaster of some kind… but it would have to be something small to fit into the Hurricane’s footprint. Anyone know more?

I highly doubt it will be an inverted coaster... the Boardwalk is going for "family orientated" rides (as seen with the New Haunted Castle), so my bet is on a "family orientated" roller coaster (if they decide to put a coatser up there if they take down Hurricane).

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpa-dee-doo-dah, bumpa-dee-ay...

Okay you NEW Haunted Castle fans... (if there are any here on TPR )

This is a NHC music convenience post... (as well as a double post)...

Firstly, here are all of the songs posted here for you (featuring a newly found queue song!!!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0A5e4xiLUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGs1sNkT_Sk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds3rMLIigAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dhbS6LLGEo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mywp50ODn3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZKXiCt278o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSAT3X8jPjw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J26mOzUzss

Also, that song that some over-obsessed fan wrote and preformed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB79URVr6GI

Bonus Ghost Blasters Boocifer Sing Along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gajRury8oPo

And secondly, here's the linky to the download of the ENTIRE HEW Haunted Castle ride soundtrack... This download also includes a few songs to other Boardwalk attractions:

http://wumwip.webs.com/apps/links/

Yojne!

Now, I'll have the Ghost Blasters theme stuck in my head. If only a neighboring park would post one of their beloved halloween-time theme songs...you know, that real catchy one...that involves toys: Toy Factory!

As this is the topic for SCBB, I wouldn't mind hearing the various soundtracks for their Wipeout ride (Especially the techno-fied Wipeout song) excluding the many youtube videos as it's not clear and is full of more screaming than anything.

Edit: Not sure why but MegaUpload's being lame...won't let me download anything. My Firefox downloader is stuck at "Starting..."

Edit again: Yes, I hate MegaUpload with a passion...but found a trick to get it to download...now downloading slower than dialup speeds but it's working.

It could very well be an inverted coaster, it does not all have to fit in that footprint and if its what they want, they will find a way to put one there.

Wasn't there a coaster there before Hurricane? I seem to remember a Speedracer type ride there.

I agree about a Wildmouse, a spinning Wildmouse would be a lot of fun and would be a good fit for the Boardwalk

^

Yes, the Jet Star was the one before the Hurricane I believe. And it would be awesome if they got an inverted coaster up there...

Btw, here's that one catchy song Angry_Gumball was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o-7N4O8voE

I just had to post it because it is very catchy...

And yes, the Boocifer song is stuck in my head as well... Please tell me you sang along... ?

If this new coaster rumor is true, it's good to see that the Boardwalk isn't resting on their laurels after building the New Haunted Castle.

The one thing that bothers me though is that whenever they put in a new ride, one usually has to go, due to the relatively small size of the park. Chaos for Fireball, Typhoon for the swings, etc. I'd hate to see the Hurricane go, it was my first steel coaster.

I also agree that a Wild Mouse would be perfect, it would fill the void left by the original one.

If this new coaster rumor is true, it's good to see that the Boardwalk isn't resting on their laurels after building the New Haunted Castle.

The one thing that bothers me though is that whenever they put in a new ride, one usually has to go, due to the relatively small size of the park. Chaos for Fireball, Typhoon for the swings, etc. I'd hate to see the Hurricane go, it was my first steel coaster.

I also agree that a Wild Mouse would be perfect, it would fill the void left by the original one.

Not to worry. All of their rides Typhoon, Chaos, Video Storm, Wave Jammer, Bermuda Triangle, Autorama, Wipe Out (the one before Chaos), and even some parts of the old Haunted Castle are sold to other parks around the world (I was told that some of the old Haunted Castle stuff was up for grabs on ebay), so at least they find a new home an are set up to entertain millions elsewhere.

But yes, the Hurricane is an oldie. I want to say it's been there for over 20 years. When I went to the Boardwalk a few weeks ago, I saw the red train stuck at the top of the lift. It was stuck for about 20 minutes, and that's when I realize: "Dang, that poor old ride has seen better days..." And it's true. The Hurricane has done it's time with entertaining the world for years, and now it's time for it to turn in.

I also agree that a new Wild Mouse would be perfect up there, but we'll have to wait and see. Whatever they put up there has to be good... I really hope they do put a new coaster up there since the park only has 2... (well, 3 if you count the the Sea Serpent one).

Not to worry. All of their rides Typhoon, Chaos, Video Storm, Wave Jammer, Bermuda Triangle, Autorama, Wipe Out (the one before Chaos), and even some parts of the old Haunted Castle are sold to other parks around the world (I was told that some of the old Haunted Castle stuff was up for grabs on ebay), so at least they find a new home an are set up to entertain millions elsewhere.

That's good to know! It would be interesting to see where some of those classic rides have resurfaced today.

One thing I've noticed with Santa cruz is that when a ride is swapped out, for the most part a similar ride is put in with the exception of Typhoon, Chaos, and Autorama. Video Storm was replaced with a very similar ride as well as the old Wave Jammer. So I figure that when Hurricane's time comes, some kind of compact coaster that will pack a punch could go in. A Eurofighter would be nice, as well as an El Loco, spinning coaster, or a mouse. Unfortunately, mice seem to all be cookie cutters while something more custom could be done with a spinner, fighter, or Loco.

^

That's true, but Wave Jammer was 100x better than Rock and Roll. It went higher and faster.

I think a Mouse Coaster will happen though. It's the most "family orientated" so it's a sure deal I think...

But what would make it more interesting would be a spinning Wild Mouse... Maybe the Boardwalk is open to suggestions... you never know...

I think something along the lines of a Spinning mouse/Tony Hawk-style spinner hybrid would be an excellent idea. People are probably used to having something twisty there. Most mice I've seen seem to be cookie-cutter coasters Don't get me wrong, (Psycho Mouse is a fun little coaster), nothing really unique. Hurricane's a cookie cutter though there's not that many of its kind...so it strikes me as unique. I even find Invertigos and GIBs to be unique too as there was only a few that made it into production.

^

That's true... But I believe that whatever the Boardwalk decides to put up will definitely be unique, just as their Haunted Castle has some very unique features, yet it's still a dark ride. I think a coaster that's unique and family orientated is likely to happen. But not too soon... it seems that their 1911 Carousel is turning 100 next year... maybe something special will be done in recognition of that classic ride...? If so, that won't come cheap, and the Hurricane project will be more like 2012 or 2013. We just have to wait and see.

I also feel some rides and attractions should be upgraded... such as Ghost Blasters, Cave Train Adventure, Fright Walk... Just to name a few...

Also I think the Boardwalk should get a new fun house attraction... rumor has it that they haven't gotten rid of the creepy clown objects from the old attraction where the Fright Walk is today... They could even put Laughing Sal in front of it to add more to the creepy vibe, as well as some Playland At The Beach nostalgia...