TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Came back from a nice day at SCBB yesterday, it's a really nice park, especially at night! Fright Walk was pretty good, Giant Dipper ran GREAT for it's age (but for some reason my night rides were rougher), and I love their Launched Freefall Tower. A nice surprise and provided some great airtime at the top! Undertow was testing, but sorry I was too late to get any pics Coming back from my motel they stopped and didn't catch it testing again. Anyways, still an enjoyable time and managed to do everything I wanted.

^ The roughness of Giant Dipper can often depend on where you sit and what train you're on. In addition, they have often just rehabbed one train or the other, and whichever train that is can run noticeably slower. I've alway found that the smoothest ride is in the front of each car (plus, you get more legroom!).

I'm glad it's testing and on its way to opening. However, considering it's already mid-August and they still haven't announced an opening date yet (plus, late August is still the target opening time), I have a feeling this could possibly to be just like Gold Striker where it soft opens without warning, and the following day has a rushed grand opening ceremony and media day.

I'm glad it's testing and on its way to opening. However, considering it's already mid-August and they still haven't announced an opening date yet (plus, late August is still the target opening time), I have a feeling this could possibly to be just like Gold Striker where it soft opens without warning, and the following day has a rushed grand opening ceremony and media day.

I'm kind of thinking the same...the case of "Let's hurry up and just open the darn thing!" Time will tell. Norcal's been good at having delayed coasters this year (granted there were only 2 to open).

^ We can only hope! It is nice to see the ride running at full speed. SCBB doesn't exactly design their ride stations for capacity, but I think the main variable is each individual operator and how efficiently they are able to work (at least that's how it was when I worked there).

Next week is now-or-never time for Undertow. It wouldn't make much sense to open it in September when the Boardwalk goes to weekend-only operation.

Why not? All the kinks would be worked out by the time it comes to weekday operations in the Spring.

^That's a good point. It will help reduce downtime.

I was thinking in terms of crowds, because by September the Pepsi can and dollar night promotions will be over, which, in my experience, is the busiest time of the year for the Boardwalk.

I was also going to say that it would miss its "Summer 2013" opening date, but looking at the calendar, summer doesn't end until Sept. 21.