TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

So, I'm going to say it now...I can see this opening in August...not sure how much more work they have to go, prep-wise (queue and whatnot), or how much testing has to happen before it opens but I can't imagine it taking too long before UT takes on its first riders. Looking forward to riding this soon (though I have yet to confirm my next SCBB run...going to be busy with CGA, SFDK, and the upcoming WCB).

I remember a few years ago when Hurricane would be on the limited operation list instead of the Giant Dipper. In Undertow news, I still see people working on it everyday and there is now a car sitting at the bottom of the lift again and a few more in the station uncovered. Everything looks pretty much done except for removing all the construction items. I hope to see it open soon and hopefully operating on the limited operation days so I can come back!

I'm sure either of those could have fit, but may not have fit in their budget plans...

Also city height and zoning regulations might have come into play as well. I think a Maurer spinner (this model is excellent IMO) was a great choice for the Boardwalk! I just want to see it actually running.

I'm sure either of those could have fit, but may not have fit in their budget plans...

You are probably right, but what I don't get is small parks with far less visitors (I think) like Canobie Lake Park and Indiana Beach were able to afford ones, but SCBB wasn't? SCBB is the most famous small park in the West (I think) and one of the most famous coastal parks in the country so getting a Eurofighter or El Loco would have grabbed the park more attention as neither of these ride types are in CA. The only installations in CA I'm impressed with this year are Full Throtle (at least it's something different and looks like a fun ride) and Gold Striker (CGA finally gets a decent woodie).

You are probably right, but what I don't get is small parks with far less visitors (I think) like Canobie Lake Park and Indiana Beach were able to afford ones, but SCBB wasn't?

Unless you work in a park's Finance Department it is impossible to know what is financially feasible for a park. The number of visitors doesn't matter. How much profit a park makes off each visitor determines the available funding. Profit comes from three many areas: tickets, food and parking (Yes, there are other minor contributors like games and sponsors).

SCBB could have hundreds of thousands more visitors, but they might not be buying ride tickets. As far as I know, SCBB doesn't get any parking revenue. Aren't most of the food vendors independent at SCBB? Who do the vendors pay to operate their stands, SCBB or the city of Santa Cruz.

Does SCBB own their own land or is it leased? Even if owned there are probably paying a lot more for property insurance being on the ocean than other similar sized parks.

^Exactly. It's not about being able to afford it---it's making sure they get a return on their investment.

RCDB lists the costs of Spider @ Lagoon at $3,000,000, while Typhoon @ Bobbejaanland (I believe that is the only fixed foundation one at a park?) was listed at $6,700,000. That's a lot more tickets to sell!

Typhoon @ Bobbejaanland (I believe that is the only fixed foundation one at a park?) was listed at $6,700,000.

I'm pretty sure Typhoon is a Eurofighter, not a spinning coaster.

That was the point of his argument. The Eurofighter cost $3.7 million more than a spinner (built around the same time).

I think a Zamperla Air Race would have been a better addition instead of a spinner since it is much more rare and would catch more people's attention. (I personally think.)

These Maurer spinners are really a blast! They don't look like much but they are really great rides. Spider at Lagoon as one of my favorites in the park... And is definitely my favorite coaster under 50 feet. It was much more popular than the air race too.

You are probably right, but what I don't get is small parks with far less visitors (I think) like Canobie Lake Park and Indiana Beach were able to afford ones, but SCBB wasn't?

Unless you work in a park's Finance Department it is impossible to know what is financially feasible for a park. The number of visitors doesn't matter. How much profit a park makes off each visitor determines the available funding. Profit comes from three many areas: tickets, food and parking (Yes, there are other minor contributors like games and sponsors).

SCBB could have hundreds of thousands more visitors, but they might not be buying ride tickets. As far as I know, SCBB doesn't get any parking revenue. Aren't most of the food vendors independent at SCBB? Who do the vendors pay to operate their stands, SCBB or the city of Santa Cruz.

Does SCBB own their own land or is it leased? Even if owned there are probably paying a lot more for property insurance being on the ocean than other similar sized parks.

Point taken.

Going to the Boardwalk this Wednesday and wanted to know what to hit in order or what would be best to do. Any suggestions will be gladly taken!

Hit it all! Get a wristband and go at it. Do not miss the cave train and the lazer tag haunted car ride down in the kids area... those are both awesome. Try out fright walk too, only $5!

The Boardwalk on a weekday in the daytime should leave you plenty of time to ride whatever you want multiple times.

After 5pm, it becomes Pepsi discount night, where you can bring a Pepsi can and get a wristband for $12.95. The lines can get quite long once 5pm hits (full queue for Giant Dipper, etc.) so I don't recommend coming only during this time if you don't go to the Boardwalk often.

For flat rides, make sure to check out Fireball. It runs a great cycle (not typical). Also, Rock-O-Plane is not to miss. Wipeout is also a flat ride you can only find at the Boardwalk... highly recommended.

Also, Fright Walk is a great walk-through haunted house, and is really well done and unique to the Boardwalk.

Enjoy!

The Boardwalk on a weekday in the daytime should leave you plenty of time to ride whatever you want multiple times.

After 5pm, it becomes Pepsi discount night, where you can bring a Pepsi can and get a wristband for $12.95. The lines can get quite long once 5pm hits (full queue for Giant Dipper, etc.) so I don't recommend coming only during this time if you don't go to the Boardwalk often.

For flat rides, make sure to check out Fireball. It runs a great cycle (not typical). Also, Rock-O-Plane is not to miss. Wipeout is also a flat ride you can only find at the Boardwalk... highly recommended.

Also, Fright Walk is a great walk-through haunted house, and is really well done and unique to the Boardwalk.

Enjoy!

The Pepsi wristband deal is only on Weds and Thurs. On Monday (and Tuesday) It's 1907 ride prices night, all rides are 1 ticket (And hot dogs and cotton candy are $1).

http://beachboardwalk.com/discounts/

It's kind of funny though because none of the above would have cost anywhere near $1 in 1907. I believe the 'Dipper was .15 per ride when it opened in 1924.

I still think SCBB should have gone with a more exciting compact coaster in that spot. Couldn't an Eurofighter or S&S Loco fit in that spot or do those coaster types take more space than I imagined?

I think there are a variety of reasons why a more unique roller coaster would have been great for us enthusiasts, but wouldn't make good business sense. Others have already made some good points, so I'll just add a little bit...

To the GP, whether the Boardwalk put in Undertow, or a more thrilling Euro-Fighter or El Loco type rider really makes no difference (and from what I've heard, the SC-2000 is plenty thrilling). All the average guest sees is a shiny new wild mouse roller coaster. And for many who grew up at the Boardwalk, that is enough to bring them to the park due to the nostalgia of the old wild mouse from 1958 - 1976.

I believe Undertow is the biggest roller coaster the Boardwalk could have put on the deck without making major modifications or getting flack from the city and its residents. The fact that Undertow is exactly the same height as Hurricane (50 feet) is really to the Boardwalk's benefit. Anything taller and I believe the park would have to go through approvals from the city and state.

Undertow may be somewhat of a letdown if you look at it from point of view that it "could have been more." But at this point, with the slowdown in new rides at the park over the past 10 years, I think we should be happy that the Boardwalk is getting a new roller coaster at all (and I know many of us are).