TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

^That's exactly why I don't buy the waiting for a part theory...if that was the case, they would be working to get everything else ready, so all they have to do is drop in that part and finish testing to get the ride open as quickly as possible.

Maybe it's some obscure endangered desert spotted wharf roach or something. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something environmental or such, as it is Santa Cruz. Whatever the reason, I hope it opens soon.

That's so California.

Okay, and Portland too.

Crap! I hope they're opening Undertow in late August. I plan on coming from Phoenix just to ride that thing. Well, if not then I don't know if it'll make much sense for them to even open it this year since the Boardwalk will be out of season soon. Man, this sucks.

Wait, you're making a trip all that way just to ride a Maurer spinner? You may as well just drive to Utah where an identical, running model is standing.

^

It's not just a spinning coaster I'm after. I'm from California, but had to move to Phoenix because life was too expensive. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk was and is my favorite place in the whole world, and I haven't seen it for 2 and a half years. I miss it so much.

Towards the end of August, I'm going to go to the Boardwalk new coaster or not. It would just be really nice if Undertow was open by then.

^That's exactly why I don't buy the waiting for a part theory...if that was the case, they would be working to get everything else ready, so all they have to do is drop in that part and finish testing to get the ride open as quickly as possible.

Totally agree. When I was there a few weeks ago it looked like it hadn't been touched for a while. Granted, they may be able to finish it in a really short amount of time, but it's just odd.

On a bit of a different subject, a great mounted POV of Giant Dipper was posted on the New York Times website.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/08/01/travel/roller-coasters.html

I'm really impressed with the whole article, actually. Every ride shown has a POV video and the writing doesn't have a lot of the "fluff" that usually comes along when the media talks about roller coasters.

^ This article is excellent! It's very good to finally see a new mounted (and legally taken) POV of Giant Dipper, as the last one I know of is this one, which was filmed a long time ago (this was when the trains were yellow and black, you can see the black one in the offride shot):

Looks like Chaos. You can also spot Bermuda Triangle (a scrambler), where Cliffhanger is now.

I can't seem to think of a mounted POV being filmed since the 90s either.

I know the Boardwalk has a very strict filming policy on the Giant Dipper. A coaster mechanic must be present while any filming is done. Though I imagine that when NYT asked to film the ride, the Boardwalk was happy to accommodate them any way possible...

I was at the boardwalk yesterday and right before the boardwalk opened they moved a car on undertow to the bottom of the lift, I didn't see it running but around 1PM I caught a glimpse of a car going around from the other end of the boardwalk. People were on one of the MCBR after it. 3 of the cars had covers off.

I was at the boardwalk yesterday and right before the boardwalk opened they moved a car on undertow to the bottom of the lift, I didn't see it running but around 1PM I caught a glimpse of a car going around from the other end of the boardwalk. People were on one of the MCBR after it. 3 of the cars had covers off.

Nice to hear that it started testing at least!

Great news! I'm admittedly very curious what could have caused the delay, but glad to hear it's being taking care of. I think I miss the boardwalk most of all from the parks I left behind in Northern California. Can't wait to make a trip back to ride Undertow when it eventually opens. Maybe next summer.

In all seriousness, I'm wondering if it will be running when SCBB goes into limited op mode. Otherwise with how short it's season will be, they may as well delay opening to 2014. I know this was beyond SCBB's control when it came to this delay, and I'm sure it has even frustrated them as to why a cookie cutter layout has had such a delay.

^ Cookie Cutter really only goes back to the initial design phase, it's still its own singular ride that gets manufactured from scratch and can run into the same manufacturing mishaps as any other coaster. SCBB might just have not been lucky on this one.

In all seriousness, I'm wondering if it will be running when SCBB goes into limited op mode. Otherwise with how short it's season will be, they may as well delay opening to 2014.

Should Undertow open by or at the end of the month, it will operate for the rest of the month and weekends only in September and October. That probably won't be enough to close it down for a rehab, but I am still wondering if SCBB will run it come time for limited op. I've visited the park for over a decade and both during limited op and full op. In my experience, Hurricane never operated during limited op. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that SCBB finds Undertow "new hotness-ey" enough to keep running it into limited op at least for this year.

^ Hurricane did run during limited operation in the off season.

Found this on the Boardwalk's website using the "Way Back Machine."

Rides typically open on Limited Operation Days include: Double Shot, Hurricane, Pirate Ship, Carousel and Bumper Cars. Plus one of the following Kiddie rides: Starfish, Jet Copters, or Speedway.