TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

When was track installation finished on Undertow, late May or something like that? How is it nearly two months later and they haven't even started testing, especially when this is just a standard production model? Looks like there is officially a zero percent chance that I'll get to ride this during my Nor Cal trip next week, unfortunately. At least I've been on other Maurer spinners so I'm not missing a unique attraction and if I have to miss something, I'd much rather miss Undertow than Gold Striker or Superman Ultimate Flight. It will be nice to get back to the boardwalk, as I haven't been in nearly ten years and it's my favorite of the four Nor Cal parks, but Undertow will definitely be taunting me as I have no idea when I'll get another chance to visit.

I'd much rather miss Undertow than Gold Striker or Superman Ultimate Flight

You've sure got that right. Best two coasters in northern California by a wide margin.

Just rode Gold Striker again Monday after not riding since it's first day of operation and was blown away all over again, this is a coaster that if it holds up structurally and mechanically will be pleasing people for many many years. I've been kind of burnt out on Superman lately since it's at my home park but you just have to love that slow motion barrel roll...I love seeing who keeps their arms up when they're hanging by nothing but their knees.

I saw that earlier too in the Big Kahuna Club emails I get. Just in time for school, right?

Well, with that said, at least crowds won't be so crazy when I plan on heading over the hill and hit up the 'Walk! I wonder if UT will be part of the limited op come off season...I really enjoyed my February visit early this year

Just found out that my company summer picnic will be at the Boardwalk this year in Sept. Thankfully, the new coaster will be open and I'll have an unlimited ride pass for the day. I'll post some pictures and my thoughts on the ride (if I dont get too drunk and forget)!

^I'm not sure I would count on it being ready in September! Just seems so weird a ride that can be built and ready to cycle in week on the fair circuit is taking so damn long at SCBB...

Had a great day at the 'walk today! So far, nothing seems to have changed with Undertow since the most recent photos of it, and I too am mind-blown as to how long SCBB is taking to get an off-the-shelf Maurer spinner up and running. I've got a few photos to share from my visit today:

34700001.jpg.891b8e937a91ff2795d5cbf7aea1a641.jpg

Here's the station...nothing different here...

34710001.jpg.1afe4eafe0833a53579c7d97df51ba32.jpg

Hmmm...wonder what this shed's for.

34720001.jpg.dceaf561434f2ba5adf010a08f4145b6.jpg

"Coming later this century."

34730001.jpg.6dccf2fa94231cc46985c34f0b77c8db.jpg

All the cars are still under tarps.

34740001.jpg.1ed29e5824d228bcb7401c28fba247d2.jpg

NERD SHOT!

34750001.jpg.be00e9527eb181c8814565d9ad5f6b4e.jpg

Another NERD SHOT.

34790001.jpg.583c3340c4817b802b1e6ab928f0019d.jpg

Another NERD SHOT!!!

34760001.jpg.2020c35b3fedff975c19e99fd727e814.jpg

Here's the new Beach Swing, made by Zamperla.

34770001.jpg.269fbce5171f7f071b51c72126e820a1.jpg

Sign of quality.

34800001.jpg.6e4d617084f774a827b97d068d24a2f4.jpg

I decided to hit up Double Shot first...

34840001.jpg.50e21008efbdcd4dbdfda53731e890f1.jpg

...then go on a bunch of other flats while Giant Dipper warmed up. Fireball has the best program of any frisbee-type ride I've been on, my butt is definitely out of the seat on this one!

34830001.jpg.b01b1383d984c3f11a601296f5ed6abe.jpg

Giant Dipper was running very well as usual! The crew was really awesome even with single train op as I clocked a 47-second dispatch with my stopwatch.

34860001.jpg.2ae07ff92a8af830991f36e62d1de3d9.jpg

Overall I had a pretty awesome day, and you really couldn't ask for better weather than this. Not too hot, temps in the 70s and a cool ocean breeze.

^Interesting. I've definitely seen it have technical issues from the times I've been there.

I got word from the Boardwalk that some parts for Undertow had a six-week delay from the manufacturer, which has set them back considerably. They're still hopeful for late August.

^ That makes me curious. How could Maurer Soehne be having trouble with these parts when they have had over a decade of experience manufacturing spinning coasters? They've already built multiple Xtended SC2000's, so I am really curious as to what caused this delay.

I'm assuming it's either a problem with making the parts or (to me more likely) the delay originates from the delivery of the parts. The journey from Munich all the way to SCBB is a long one.

^Interesting. I've definitely seen it have technical issues from the times I've been there.

I got word from the Boardwalk that some parts for Undertow had a six-week delay from the manufacturer, which has set them back considerably. They're still hopeful for late August.

I'm not sure I buy that..."we're going to sell you a brand new ride (one we have experience building), but you'll have to wait 6 more weeks for this one part you need to operate it..."

I guess it is possible that something went wrong at the factory and the machines needed to built the part are out of service, but that seems unlikely to me...

It is entirely possible its not really their fault, it could be they are waiting for a part from another manufacturer, whatever it is, to complete another part or assembly for this ride. They could possibly be outsourcing some parts..... who knows. Well this just gives the boardwalk a little more time to make it perfectly awesome.

Maybe it's some obscure endangered desert spotted wharf roach or something. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something environmental or such, as it is Santa Cruz. Whatever the reason, I hope it opens soon.

^I'm not sure I would count on it being ready in September! Just seems so weird a ride that can be built and ready to cycle in week on the fair circuit is taking so damn long at SCBB...

According to my HR department, they sold them on the fact that the new coaster would be ready to ride. I hope it just wasnt bullshit