TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

Thanks for sharing Jeff! There can never be enough pics of the Dipper. It's kept in obsessively perfect shape by the park, never runs rough, has some decent back seat airtime, wicked laterals...it's got it all, and to top it all off...

...it smells good too...

Yeah that old grease and metal smell is awesome.

Holy $% today was the wrong day for a "quick trip" to the boardwalk! That was about the busiest I've ever seen it. Fortunately most of the crowd was riding the kiddie/flat rides which had the longest lines. Dipper and Hurricane were about an hour each when I left at 6. Got my last two rides in on Hurricane, one in the front and one in the back. Posting a TPR in a few.

2141102448_IMG_4172(Small).JPG.822edd9abcc85f0c38006347da520331.JPG

Busy day at the beach!

2141336016_IMG_4181(Small).JPG.b8967d477164eff18e179123a27d628d.JPG

Dipper and Hurricane were both running both trains. For the most part they were dispatching pretty fast but every once in a while it seemed like the ops were just spacing out and both trains would stack in the unload area for no apparent reason.

Every time I ride the 'Dipper I'm again amazed at how great the ride still is. It's easily the oldest ride I've ridden and still one of the best rides despite not having any of the modern wow factor stuff, it's just solid.

Holy $% today was the wrong day for a "quick trip" to the boardwalk! That was about the busiest I've ever seen it.

I went there with my family that same day and we all thought the same thing, that it would be a nice little Labor Day weekend getaway...WRONG! Mom and Dad enjoyed their time on the beach while I rode as many rides as possible before noon when the crowds got insane. I got my last Hurricane ride in first thing, and while it was a bit rough, it wasn't too bad. With proper bracing before the transitions (especially the "Schwarzkopf Mockery" drop), it shouldn't really beat you up. I then quickly hit up the Dipper and various flats, all of which had either a walk-on or a 1-3 cycle wait for the time being. By the time I met back up with my parents, the crowds were just INSANE. The lines for all the rides I previously went on were much longer and we all agreed to leave the park, have lunch in town, and head back home. While we all had a great day, the insane crowds made this one of my shortest visits to the boardwalk, at just under 2 hours.

Sadly, I forgot to bring my camera for this visit (extreme facepalm), but I do have one picture of something very important! Here it is, at last... *cue Legend Of Zelda treasure chest opening music buildup*

2013PassSCBB0001.jpg.907535bf48219eb2d65dac994088cb7b.jpg

...DAH DAH DAH DAAAAAH! You got a 2013 SCBB Season Pass! Use the control stick to select it in your wallet and press the A-button to show it for an unlimited rides wristband. 2013 CGA Gold Pass, you're next!

^^

Dang I remember getting my pass every year. I still have mines from 2011.

Anyway, I wanted to know everyone's thoughts on the new coaster's name. Personally I think they should've took a vote or took up suggestions like they did for the new Haunted Castle. "Undertow" sounds a little funky in my opinion... I would've called it "Spin-Out", "Whirl-Wind", "Tidal-Wave", "Centrifuge" or leave it titled "Hurricane".

^It was called Whirlwind *begins thinking of my Whirlwind pinball machine *. I could be wrong but I think back when Whirlwind opened, SCBB allowed double back-to-back rides...I thought I heard something about that anyway. Also, welcome to TPR!

I also remember the old Chance Wipeout (also named Wipeout) where Fireball resides now. That ride made me feel so sick afterwards but it was so fun! I also remember Chaos when that took over.

About Undertow...Honestly, I like the name Undertow. It is very fitting with the Boardwalk! They already have a Riptide so that name would be useless (which is their tilt-a-whirl). I think they also had a Scrambler called Bermuda Triangle that sat where Cliffhanger is now. As far as a random non-fitting name, who remembers Video Storm (where Tsunami is now)?

Since I seem to be discussing past Boardwalk attractions, does anyone ever remember any bumper cars that sat over by Giant Dipper? I think it may have been called Auto Scooters or something like that. I only remember because of also seeing Speed Bumps, having hopes that I would have been atleast tall enough to drive one of their bumper car attractions back then...only one I could do were the kiddy bumper cars at CGA. I believe it was also the same bumper cars where my cousin got knocked into circles and could not control her car! As soon as an attendant helped her, she went right back into going in circles

So sad...Speedway's (Jr sized Whip ride themed to Nascars) gone for the time being (Perhaps it will come back somewhere else?). We spontaneously rode both Speedway and Starfish (Tsunami Jr) after bidding Farewell to Hurricane and surprisingly, they were pretty forceful kiddie rides! The only kiddie ride I did not do up there was the helicopters (which at the age of 5 was hard to get in and out of).

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard people moaning about how Hurricane wasn't very good. I only rode it on one occasion in 1999 and I remembered it being a good ride. I rode the same model by the Seattle space needle around the same time. What was wrong with them?

Honestly, I don't like Hurricane. It probably was very good in the 90s but it seemed like the coaster hasn't aged that well as it had a bad case of the rattles.

The Boardwalk just posted this on their Facebook page. Kiddie rides have been removed to make way for Hurricane's dismantling.

[attachment=0]hurricaneremoval.jpg[/attachment]

Not to be mean or anything,but I hope they don't put any kiddie rides up there again. Another new thrill ride would be nice. Maybe even a Sky Flyer:

Edited by Sheep-O-Matic

• 2 weeks later...