TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (SCBB) Discussion Thread

The park has a habit lately of putting in a lot of portable carnival rides. I think they like having the relative ease of packing up a ride a replacing it with another.

The park has a habit of taking out a ride and putting one in just like it (e.g. Freefall-->Freefall; Wave Jammer-->Rock and Roll). This idea is good in theory. If guests like the old ride, they will surely like the "new and improved" ride even more. But the problem is that the new ride is hard to market because it's so similar to the old one. What can they say about they new Crazy Surf? "The same Crazy Surf you know and love, but now with lapbars only, tilting seats, and water effects!"

I think the park would bring in a lot more business if they had a brand-new, never-before-seen-at-the-Boardwalk ride to market. I do know they have a few of those rides in the works set to open in the coming years, and those rides could honestly not come soon enough. The park has been sorely lacking new thrill rides since Fireball opened in 2003.

I am sorry but Rock N Roll seriously fails to live up to the excitement of the Wave Jammer if you are going to replace a ride with something similar don't replace a perfectly good fun and exciting ride with something that offers the excitement of a kiddie ride

They must've had a good crane operator to pull that off.

It's not too surprising that the Boardwalk would use protable versions of flats--this is fairly common at some European amusement parks, too. I'm not a flat ride person, so it isn't a big deal to me. I'm more interested in coasters, dark rides, and walk-through attractions.

The park has a habit lately of putting in a lot of portable carnival rides. I think they like having the relative ease of packing up a ride a replacing it with another.

The park has a habit of taking out a ride and putting one in just like it (e.g. Freefall-->Freefall; Wave Jammer-->Rock and Roll). This idea is good in theory. If guests like the old ride, they will surely like the "new and improved" ride even more. But the problem is that the new ride is hard to market because it's so similar to the old one. What can they say about they new Crazy Surf? "The same Crazy Surf you know and love, but now with lapbars only, tilting seats, and water effects!"

I think the park would bring in a lot more business if they had a brand-new, never-before-seen-at-the-Boardwalk ride to market. I do know they have a few of those rides in the works set to open in the coming years, and those rides could honestly not come soon enough. The park has been sorely lacking new thrill rides since Fireball opened in 2003.

Don't forget Haunted Castle to Haunted Castle.

Though, I agree that they can put in an all new ride. The only thing I liked is how they made Freefall larger as the old Freefall was a fun kiddie tower and the new one is just like the old one but more thrilling. I hope the new coaster in 2013 won't be named Hurricane.

I am sorry but Rock N Roll seriously fails to live up to the excitement of the Wave Jammer if you are going to replace a ride with something similar don't replace a perfectly good fun and exciting ride with something that offers the excitement of a kiddie ride

Over the years, the park has been putting in more and more family friendly rides, and Rock and Roll is a perfect example of that. Wave Jammer had a minimum height requirement of 48", and Rock and Roll's is only 42" w/ chaperone. Same thing when they removed Typhoon (48") and put in Sea Swings (42" w/ chaperone). I see what they're doing, and I know why they're doing it -- but I don't like it!!

Wowie. It's been a while since I've posted on this thread.

Yes, that is so true! The 'Walk replaced old rides with similar rides; thus making it hard to market them. When Whirl-Wind changed to Wipe-Out I had no clue where the ride was, let alone the fact that it was the same ride, only inside, with some awesome free-style music and party lights. But again, they didn't market that ride as I recall. They merely announced it on their park maps.

When the Bermuda Triangle ride was taken out for Cliff Hanger, I was a bit sad... It was one of my favorites (even though Whirl-Wind/Wipe-Out is sort of the same as the Bermuda Triangle) I've only been on Cliff Hanger a few times... but... something seems unsettling about putting your chin on a "chin rest"...

When Typhoon was bamboozled, I nearly fainted. I remember seeing the whole ride was gone and the platform for the Sea Swings was already set up. While the Sea Swings was a necessary ride for the 'Walk, I really wish they kept Typhoon... or at least moved it elsewhere in the park. It was the last upside-down ride there. But at least the Sea Swings was a whole new different ride they brought to the table, and it fits in quite nicely.

And since the good ol' Haunted Castle was mentioned, I may as well share some thoughts... I know the ride is still a "baby", and there's a lot that can be done with it. I have heard they've made a few changes music-wise, and added a few more "spooks" to the ride as well... (I'd LOVE to see a video of what it looks/sounds like inside the ride now... hint hint... ) So I'm pretty sure they have it covered.

Yes, I agree that they name the 2013 coaster something besides "Hurricane"; and I really really hope it surpasses the former coaster.

And speaking of swapping rides for similar ones, anyone else think they should swap out the old Rock-O-Plane for a Zipper ride?

Honestly, if I was going to pick a ride to have it replaced by another ride, it would be Tsunami. That is the only ride I ever went on that gave me a headache. Also, they have an odd policy that you cannot raise your hands up.

Well, it's a good ride, but I do see the reason for the "do not raise your hand unless you want off the ride" policy. Because of the force, some may not be able to handle being crushed between the other riders in the car and the "padded" side. And since everyone is already screaming, the only way they'd be able to tell someone wants off is by the raising of a hand or two hands (easier than telling by rider's facial expressions )

I think they should a Rip Tide ride there. That's be nice.

anyone else think they should swap out the old Rock-O-Plane for a Zipper ride?

I would love to see a Zipper, but would hate to see Rock-O-Plane go. I'll take them both, please!

if I was going to pick a ride to have it replaced by another ride, it would be Tsunami.

I think the Boardwalk has a general policy of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and don't change it)." Most of the rides they replace have some form of maintenance issues or are ending their useful life. Other rides are moved for expansion or rotation purposes. For example:

Typhoon - It was the only manually operating ride on the Boardwalk, and most of our operators SUCKED at running it. If you hit the buttons at the wrong time, the ride would blow a $100+ fuse (which happened more than a few times a year). Granted, the ride wasn't very hard to operate, but the people who had trouble operating it probably couldn't drive a car very well either.

Wave Jammer - According to past operators, it was a maintenance nightmare.

Chaos - Moved to sister park, Belmont Park (San Diego).

Hurricane - Was only ever supposed to be a 10-year ride. Should have been replaced a long time ago, but other projects got in the way.

Old Haunted Castle - Severe maintenance and electrical issues.

Unlike most parks, the Boardwalk can't just clear space and plop in a new ride, they have to strategically decide which ride to take out to replace with the new ride. And the decision has to make financial and business sense. For example, is Logger's really, really old? Yes. But does it still make a lot of money? Well, yes. So will it ever be replaced? No.

And there lies the problem with the Zipper, I have often thought how nice it would be to replace the capacity nightmare Rock O Plane with a Zipper but there are so many problems with that idea . . . the first being that the capacity of the Zipper isn't all that good either, and then there is the fact that there was never a park model of the Zipper made and the portable models have a rather large footprint for what they are as the trailer the ride lays down on sits behind the ride so the zipper is technically about as long as it is tall, and then there is the fact that Chance is no longer making the Zipper so a used one would bet he only option at this point, My pipe dream is for something extreme to show up at SCBB like a Top Scan but I know it will never happen, thinking realistically however I could see a KMG spinout working out well in Santa Cruz

Why do you think a Top Scan would never happen? The park used to have Typhoon, which was quite intense. Also, Fireball is pretty high up there on the intensity scale towards the end of the cycle.

Realistically, I think we'll see an Octotron within a few years, because it's already been installed down in Belmont Park. I rode the Octotron, and personally, I wasn't that impressed. It was a fun ride, but not very re-rideable. I don't think I would want it in my home park. It's kind of a novelty.

Cliff Hanger is kind of "meh..." in my opinion.. and it's a nice space where it is... plus the ride is almost 10 ears old... (if it came out in 2003 don't remember)...

EDIT

Btw...

I recently saw one of Sally Corp's new rides... and I think the 'Walk should upgrade/face-lift Ghost Blasters to THIS:

Anyone agree?

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone doesn't mind, Im trying to win a contest that lets you have a mini vacation in Santa Cruz and tickets to the Boardwalk. I would really appreciate it if you vote by clinking on the LINK and vote 5 stars and put in your email. Thanks a lot ahead of time!

If anyone doesn't mind, Im trying to win a contest that lets you have a mini vacation in Santa Cruz and tickets to the Boardwalk. I would really appreciate it if you vote by clinking on the LINK and vote 5 stars and put in your email. Thanks a lot ahead of time!

Did it!

I was at the park a few days ago and saw the Crazy Surf in person, it really stuck out like a sore thumb. I really did not like the background carnival images. The ride itself looks like it might be an improvement over the old one.

Did it!

I was at the park a few days ago and saw the Crazy Surf in person, it really stuck out like a sore thumb. I really did not like the background carnival images. The ride itself looks like it might be an improvement over the old one.

Awesome thanks a lot!

Im looking forward to the new Crazy Surf, the OTSR were brutal on that ride. So the lap bars will be a huge improvement.

I just uploaded an image as well but not seeing it on there yet...how long did it take for it to appear?